You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

War Film Recommendations

Section_31

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's beyond me why modern day hollywood doesn't plunder WWII more than it does. It contains the greatest stories ever told. Imagine the Battle of Midway with full-on CGI? Would make Return of the Jedi look like last of the summer wine.

There's a remake of Aces High coming out mate, it's being directed by Peter Jackson, when i first heard of the remake i thought "ah fuck it's gonna be a pack of yank lies again", (sorry American readers, no offence intended) but apparently it's superb. Can't wait to seeit.

Can't recommend 'Sophie Scholl - the last days' highly enough.

About a pair of students and their resistance movement (the white rose) who are arrested in Munich for anti-nazi activity.

Gripping and I challenge anyone not to shed a few tears.

There's a bit where she's telling some Gestapo officer about why she hates the Nazis, and recounts a story about a school her mother worked in where the children with learning difficulties were picked up by a bus, and when the teacher asked where they were being taken to, she was told 'to heaven'

The trial is awesome too

And when you see real pics of her messing around in the coutry with her student mates at the end it really hits you hard. highly recommended.

Europa, Europa is worth watching just because the story (a young lad who goes to such extremes to hide his Jewishness, he enlists in the Hitler Youth) is true and jaw-dropping.

Away from the fighting, but with WWII as a backdrop, Mr Roberts, Judgement at Nuremberg and Summer of My German Soldier are all brilliant.

I can't think of many that haven't already been mentioned, but I'd defo recommend Gallipoli. It's an Australian film about Churchill's disastrous campaign to take the Dardanelles in WWI. It has a great score by Jean Michel Jarre too.

If you're talking about the one with Mel Gibson in it mate, that's set in WWI. Still a brilliant film though, well worth a look. Twat, don't know what's wrong with my eyes tonight i though that said WWII, sorry mate.

If you mean any war films and not just WWII then aces High set in WWI is good, as is The Blue Max, both about pilots. I think Kelly's Heroes is excellent too.

If you like reading books check out Sven Hassels book about a group of German soldiers in WWII, they're gory at times and hilarious at times, brilliant read as well. I read one about a German soldier at the Russian Front, but i can't remember the name of it now, and i also read one about Japanese Kamikaze pilots which was fucking brutal.

I agree. I got a Sven Hazel novel, "Døden på Larveføtter" ( Wheels of terror ) when I was about 15 years old. I enjoyed it immensely, and it made a change reading a book from a German perspective, and not portraying all germans like SS lunatics. I believe this book has been filmed, although I`ve never seen the movie.

I agree. I got a Sven Hazel novel, "Døden på Larveføtter" ( Wheels of terror ) when I was about 15 years old. I enjoyed it immensely, and it made a change reading a book from a German perspective, and not portraying all germans like SS lunatics. I believe this book has been filmed, although I`ve never seen the movie.

There is a good point made on that subject by Darryl "Shifty" Powers from Band of Brothers. He said that other than the Allies and the Germans wanting to kill each other, he looked into a deeper view of things. Like an Infantry foot soldier like himself was out to do the same job. He also brought up the fact that on any other day, he might have got on with his enemy. Maybe they both liked fishing, or something else.

A really good point he made there.

• 3 months later...

Still don't like The Thin Red Line.

I've tried and tried and I just don't like it.

Bloke walks around in jungle with gun (voiceover - "death, death is shit, why can't everyone just simmer down and stop dying")

Switches to shot of Japanese soldier crying, B-list American actor runs past him shouting and swearing.

(another voiceover "the sun...it reminds me of death, why is death so shit?")

yeah okay, why don't you just shut the fuck up and CAP SOME MOTHERFUCKERS, SOME MOTHER-FUCKERS!!!

Bloke walks around in jungle with gun (voiceover - "death, death is shit, why can't everyone just simmer down and stop dying")

Switches to shot of Japanese soldier crying, B-list American actor runs past him shouting and swearing.

yeah okay, why don't you just shut the fuck up and CAP SOME MOTHERFUCKERS, SOME MOTHER-FUCKERS!!!

try some foreign movies instead.Get away from all that self serving shite that the modern yank movie portrays .Un Long Dimanche De Fiancailles is simply a masterpiece.Stars that kid from amelie and a cameo from jodie foster

Das Boot is amazing.One of the classics in war movies.Or Joyeux Noel ,another classic about the famous football match on new years day .

Die Brücke (The Bridge) is a another top notch german war movie Theres plenty of asian movies as well showing the non yank side of the vietnam and cambodian wars

imdb.com will sort out your needs

Grave of the Fireflies is a fantastic example of japanese animation at its finest, the vast majority might be shite, but Grave of the Fireflies is right up there and highly under rated. Surprised you let your kids watch it though! I would've been fucking disturbed and upset by it for days as a kid.

Grave of the Fireflies is a fantastic example of japanese animation at its finest, the vast majority might be shite, but Grave of the Fireflies is right up there and highly under rated. Surprised you let your kids watch it though! I would've been fucking disturbed and upset by it for days as a kid.

We've now got all bar two of the Studio Ghibli movies and they are all ace, to one degree or another. I actually didn't realise that the film was a 12 when we put it on, but I'd much rather they learned about the shit side of life with me there to explain it to them, rather than on their own. We did watch almost the whole thing with an arm round each one of them on the sofa, though - and the end got a bit teary, too. However, like I said, they need to know how the world is and I want them to learn about it on my terms.

I just read that quote and I heard it in a Frank Sidebottom voice.

Did he do the narration in that film?