You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

Just now, Karl_b said:

It's not either/or though Section. Your final point is accurate but we can be addressing that whilst also acknowledging that prejudices exist that mean if one of two people is black then, with everything else equal, they are more likely to be overlooked for a white person.

Yeah I don't disagree, but I think colour is often used by right-on employers to cover up for the fact they don't really, genuinely care about providing opportunities to the deprived, regardless of their colour. 

If you go to the beeb in Salford Quays there's loads of black and asian people, but they're pretty much all middle class. Loads of black soldiers training to be officers at Sandhurst and stuff, but they're mostly Ethiopian princes. 

51 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

No because we live in a country that embraces, for the most part, multiculturalism.

That's what white people like me like to tell ourselves, to help us sleep at night.

And yet, we have national daily newspapers that scream headlines propagandising against immigrants and Muslims all year round, we have an educational curriculum that refuses to confront the racism, slavery and mass murder that this country's wealth was built on, we have routine racism swept under the carpet, out of our sight and we have a Prime Minister who is openly racist.

This is a racist country.  We need to acknowledge that and see what we can do about making it less racist.

• Upvote 3

Yeah happy to take it back about you and Netanyahu @Strontium Dog™ so I hope you accept my apologies. Incidentally you did say he isn't a vampire once which is going against his rights to be whatever he wants to be. 

Page 30 of the Israel rant thread is interesting reading looking back as it happens. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I don't disagree, but I think colour is often used by right-on employers to cover up for the fact they don't really, genuinely care about providing opportunities to the deprived, regardless of their colour. 

If you go to the beeb in Salford Quays there's loads of black and asian people, but they're pretty much all middle class. Loads of black soldiers training to be officers at Sandhurst and stuff, but they're mostly Ethiopian princes. 

The actor Michael Kenneth Williams of The Wire and Boardwalk Empire fame made a statement a while back,something along the lines of 'I don't believe in racism in isolation,its just another part of the class system and way of dividing the population.' I think he makes a very good point which more people of all creeds and colours should realise. Of course this is not the whole root of the matter but division by skin colour is yet another part of the status quo. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's what white people like me like to tell ourselves, to help us sleep at night.

And yet, we have national daily newspapers that scream headlines propagandising against immigrants and Muslims all year round, we have an educational curriculum that refuses to confront the racism, slavery and mass murder that this country's wealth was built on, we have routine racism swept under the carpet, out of our sight and we have a Prime Minister who is openly racist.

This is a racist country.  We need to acknowledge that and see what we can do about making it less racist.

I've read through the list and the links off to the various facts and figures.

These feels, mostly (not saying rascism doesn't play a part here) like social circumstances and not a race problem. A vicious circle of ethnic minorities from poor backgrounds being caught in the system. Even if you link to the .gov site it gives no detail around why these facts are the way they are.

Why are the kids getting poor results at school compared to others? Is it pushing them into crime as a direct result? Does that result in more suspicion, arrests and more stop and searching? Does it result in lower paid jobs and unemployment?

What about mothers dying in childbirth? Again it presents no details, it just says they are more likely to die. Is it their ethnic makeup? Is it lack of quality care on the NHS? Are they being frozen out? What is it?

This just feels like an opportune time to post stuff 'as facts' but lacking in any of the real detail that could attest to it being linked to racism in some way.

14 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

These feels, mostly (not saying rascism doesn't play a part here) like social circumstances and not a race problem. A vicious circle of ethnic minorities from poor backgrounds being caught in the system. Even if you link to the .gov site it gives no detail around why these facts are the way they are.

Why are the kids getting poor results at school compared to others? Is it pushing them into crime as a direct result? Does that result in more suspicion, arrests and more stop and searching? Does it result in lower paid jobs and unemployment?

What about mothers dying in childbirth? Again it presents no details, it just says they are more likely to die. Is it their ethnic makeup? Is it lack of quality care on the NHS? Are they being frozen out? What is it?

This just feels like an opportune time to post stuff 'as facts' but lacking in any of the real detail that could attest to it being linked to racism in some way.

The link through all of them is that black people are more likely to live in shitty socio-economic conditions.  Why is that?

The obvious, glaring, screaming conclusion is that this country is fundamentally, structurally, systematically racist.  It would be perverse to deny it.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Of course, there's always the possibility that black people do worse at school because they're genetically thick; or they get paid less because they're genetically lazy; or they get arrested more because they're genetically disposed towards criminality; or they're more likely to die in childbirth because black mothers are genetically less robust.

But that is all demonstrable bullshit.

On the other hand, there are mountains and mountains of evidence of conscious and unconscious bias against black people.

Yeah.  Racism "plays a part".

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The link through all of them is that black people are more likely to live in shitty socio-economic conditions.  Why is that?

The obvious, glaring, screaming conclusion is that this country is fundamentally, structurally, systematically racist.  It would be perverse to deny it.

Out of interest, genuinely because I dont know, what laws are in place that discriminate against black people? What laws need to be put in place to help against the discrimination black people?

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Out of interest, genuinely because I dont know, what laws are in place that discriminate against black people? What laws need to be put in place to help against the discrimination black people?

The laws, as they are written, prohibit discrimination.  But it's not enough.

Remember "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby?

"Because the law don't change another's mind
When all it sees at the hiring time
Is the line on the color bar"

That. 

Laws to prevent discrimination are essential, but not enough.  People who have been on the shitty end of inequality for generations need a leg up to give them an equal chance.  This is usually done by grassroots, community work, to do with health and education, etc; the kind of stuff that's first to go when the Government slashes funding for Councils.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The laws, as they are written, prohibit discrimination.  But it's not enough.

Remember "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby?

"Because the law don't change another's mind
When all it sees at the hiring time
Is the line on the color bar"

That. 

Laws to prevent discrimination are essential, but not enough.  People who have been on the shitty end of inequality for generations need a leg up to give them an equal chance.  This is usually done by grassroots, community work, to do with health and education, etc; the kind of stuff that's first to go when the Government slashes funding for Councils.

Ok so you think there are no existing laws that need to be changed. What laws would you like to see introduced to give them a leg up and equal chance? I'm not trying to make a point just trying to see what needs to be done beyond attitude change.

Meet Brandon Tatum
Brandon Tatum is a former Tucson Police Officer and served as the Director of Urban Outreach at Turning Point USA. He is the Founder and CEO of The Officer Tatum, LLC.

His open letter :

“Woke” white people, I’d like to ask you a favor:

Please stop asking for forgiveness for your “white privilege.”

You’re not fooling anybody. You’re not helping black people—or any other minority. And your public confessions don’t make you look virtuous. They make you look disingenuous, which is a really nice way of saying fake, phony, and fraudulent.

For starters, what is “white privilege” anyway? Because you were born with white skin, you have all these advantages that I don’t have?

Like what?

Like, you can get a mortgage loan that I can’t get?

Hmm. I got a loan—at a great rate, by the way—and I got the house. Why would a banker not give a loan to someone who met the loan requirements? He doesn’t want to make money? I’ve never heard of such a banker.

Or, how about this: You can enter a store and not be looked upon with suspicion, but I—a black person—cannot. Except...that has never happened to me.

But if I was a young dude with my pants hanging down to my butt, I could understand why a store owner would be concerned. I used to be a cop. Believe me, I understand. If I owned the store, I’d be tracking that kid, too—whether he was black, white, or anything else.

Or, what if I had a store that had a history of being shoplifted by young black women, and a young black woman with a bad attitude walked in. Would I be suspicious? Yeah, I would. Who wouldn’t?

I call that common sense, not bigotry.

But there’s another way of looking at this: In many ways, in today’s America, blacks have more privilege than whites. It’s been my experience that whites bend over backwards to give blacks every possible advantage.

If two people are equally qualified for a job, the black person will usually get it. Big companies and prestigious universities fall all over one another trying to sign up talented black people.

If you deny this, you are denying reality.

Which is what the person who dreamed up this whole thing did—a professor of women’s studies at Wellesley College by the name of Peggy McIntosh. She wrote an article in 1988 about all the “white privilege” she thought she had. She listed 46, including this one: “I can choose…bandages in ‘flesh’ color and have them more or less match my skin.” Wow, that’s some kind of privilege!

Soon others took up the cause.

Today, these so-called progressives dominate our colleges and universities, imposing this absurd notion of white privilege on their students. That’s too bad. Because it does nothing good for white students. And it does nothing good for black students. But of the two, ironically, the white students get the better of the deal.

Let me explain:

To acknowledge your white privilege is supposed to make you feel bad. Only it doesn’t. It makes you feel good because by acknowledging your white privilege, you’re declaring yourself to be enlightened. And as a virtue-bonus, it also makes you a better person than those whites who don’t acknowledge their privilege.

White privilege, which is supposed to make you feel bad, ends up making you feel good. Meanwhile, the real damage is to blacks. What makes whites feel good makes blacks angry.

More than 50 years after the start of the Civil Rights movement, the message is: “You’re still oppressed.” How can this not create a victim mentality? And anyone—of any color—who sees himself as a victim gets angry.

Now, I wouldn’t deny for a second that there are privileges in life. They’re all over the place. There’s two-parent family privilege (that’s huge); there’s being lucky to be born in America privilege; there’s good gene privilege. But white privilege? Doesn’t it depend on the person?

Let’s take this, for example: A black lawyer and his wife have a baby. And a meth addict, single white woman has a baby. Which kid has privilege? The white one? Because he’s white?

Come on now.

And here’s the kicker: Even if it were true—all those claims about white privilege, so what? Would it change a single thing I did? If white people apologize for being white, is that supposed to help me? In what way?

So, let’s be real: White privilege is an attempt by the left to divide Americans by race.

It’s all theory and all nonsense. If you want to fall for it, go ahead—it’s a free country. But don’t try to sell it to me.

I’m an American who deals with my fellow Americans one-on-one.

Try it. It works.

Thank you Brandon Tatum of Prager University A lot of people who need to hear this , but you sheeple can go do something else

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

“I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t stop and check a black man driving around in this neighbourhood”

Yeah. Come this way to Complaints and Discipline. We have a few questions for you.

4 hours ago, Neil G said:

You could see it reflected on here at the time, people routinely used words like spaz, mong, homophobic slurs and the like, while actively challenging genuine bigotry when it surfaced. I was guilty of it myself on occasion. Fortunately it’s not part of forum culture any more.

Do you also have an objection to terms like cretin, moron and idiot? Like spaz, mong, retard etc they originally referred to people with certain developmental disabilities. I find it interesting that few people seem to realise that, and that even fewer care. This is generally why I'm not in favour of policing language like this.

23 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Meet Brandon Tatum
Brandon Tatum is a former Tucson Police Officer and served as the Director of Urban Outreach at Turning Point USA. He is the Founder and CEO of The Officer Tatum, LLC.

His open letter :

“Woke” white people, I’d like to ask you a favor:

Please stop asking for forgiveness for your “white privilege.”

You’re not fooling anybody. You’re not helping black people—or any other minority. And your public confessions don’t make you look virtuous. They make you look disingenuous, which is a really nice way of saying fake, phony, and fraudulent.

For starters, what is “white privilege” anyway? Because you were born with white skin, you have all these advantages that I don’t have?

Like what?

Like, you can get a mortgage loan that I can’t get?

Hmm. I got a loan—at a great rate, by the way—and I got the house. Why would a banker not give a loan to someone who met the loan requirements? He doesn’t want to make money? I’ve never heard of such a banker.

Or, how about this: You can enter a store and not be looked upon with suspicion, but I—a black person—cannot. Except...that has never happened to me.

But if I was a young dude with my pants hanging down to my butt, I could understand why a store owner would be concerned. I used to be a cop. Believe me, I understand. If I owned the store, I’d be tracking that kid, too—whether he was black, white, or anything else.

Or, what if I had a store that had a history of being shoplifted by young black women, and a young black woman with a bad attitude walked in. Would I be suspicious? Yeah, I would. Who wouldn’t?

I call that common sense, not bigotry.

But there’s another way of looking at this: In many ways, in today’s America, blacks have more privilege than whites. It’s been my experience that whites bend over backwards to give blacks every possible advantage.

If two people are equally qualified for a job, the black person will usually get it. Big companies and prestigious universities fall all over one another trying to sign up talented black people.

If you deny this, you are denying reality.

Which is what the person who dreamed up this whole thing did—a professor of women’s studies at Wellesley College by the name of Peggy McIntosh. She wrote an article in 1988 about all the “white privilege” she thought she had. She listed 46, including this one: “I can choose…bandages in ‘flesh’ color and have them more or less match my skin.” Wow, that’s some kind of privilege!

Soon others took up the cause.

Today, these so-called progressives dominate our colleges and universities, imposing this absurd notion of white privilege on their students. That’s too bad. Because it does nothing good for white students. And it does nothing good for black students. But of the two, ironically, the white students get the better of the deal.

Let me explain:

To acknowledge your white privilege is supposed to make you feel bad. Only it doesn’t. It makes you feel good because by acknowledging your white privilege, you’re declaring yourself to be enlightened. And as a virtue-bonus, it also makes you a better person than those whites who don’t acknowledge their privilege.

White privilege, which is supposed to make you feel bad, ends up making you feel good. Meanwhile, the real damage is to blacks. What makes whites feel good makes blacks angry.

More than 50 years after the start of the Civil Rights movement, the message is: “You’re still oppressed.” How can this not create a victim mentality? And anyone—of any color—who sees himself as a victim gets angry.

Now, I wouldn’t deny for a second that there are privileges in life. They’re all over the place. There’s two-parent family privilege (that’s huge); there’s being lucky to be born in America privilege; there’s good gene privilege. But white privilege? Doesn’t it depend on the person?

Let’s take this, for example: A black lawyer and his wife have a baby. And a meth addict, single white woman has a baby. Which kid has privilege? The white one? Because he’s white?

Come on now.

And here’s the kicker: Even if it were true—all those claims about white privilege, so what? Would it change a single thing I did? If white people apologize for being white, is that supposed to help me? In what way?

So, let’s be real: White privilege is an attempt by the left to divide Americans by race.

It’s all theory and all nonsense. If you want to fall for it, go ahead—it’s a free country. But don’t try to sell it to me.

I’m an American who deals with my fellow Americans one-on-one.

Try it. It works.

Thank you Brandon Tatum of Prager University A lot of people who need to hear this , but you sheeple can go do something else

I had to look this guy up. I'm not really glad I did.

24 minutes ago, A Red said:

Ok so you think there are no existing laws that need to be changed. What laws would you like to see introduced to give them a leg up and equal chance? I'm not trying to make a point just trying to see what needs to be done beyond attitude change.

I don't know.  (It's OK to say that - even on the internet.)

For a start, the application of duties introduced by the Equalities Act should be beefed up and extended, so that all businesses (as well as public sector bodies) above a certain size should be required to monitor how they combat inequality, in their employment practices and in the services they provide: a proper requirement to produce action plans and an enforceable legal duty to implement their plans.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

He didn't beat the Nazis though. America did. Churchill was a racist cunt. Just fucking admit it. 

The Russians are saying hold my vodka.

If Stalingrad fell the war would have been lost; the Eastern Front preoccupied

Hitler and it was a disastrous move; Russian led the WW2 charts with the most deaths.

The Americans were too busy profiteering off the war before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour. They as well were close to losing the Pacific and the Battle of  Midway 

if I recall was the turning point.

Or it may have been a Kennedy in a PT boat who sank the Japanese fleet. 

• Upvote 2