You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

16 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Have you been watching the latest series of A House Through Time ? It's centered around a house on Guinea Street in Bristol. It's got links to a slave trader. I think whoever the person was built it.   

No not seen that. 

Unfortunately almost all port cities have some fucking shameful shit to be embarrassed by. 

50 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Taliban are now operating on the streets of Britain? Poor old Nigel has got a bit confused due to the face covering bit.

The last I saw of him he was down at the docks watching migrants enter the country in breach of lockdown rules I think. He's like a shit comedian.

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I get your point but think you’re underestimating the knowledge about Colston. 

There’s been massively public campaigns to change the name of schools and music venues and take down statues of him over the last few years. 

You even had the manic street preachers refuse to play in Bristol years back because of the name of the venue. 

Although I'm happy what they did to the statue yesterday as a symbolic act during a protest about racism, in the past I've previously thought it's wrong to white wash history because we don't like the truth. I always though his statue should remain with his story along side it but the statue moved to eye level or below so it could never look down upon any body again. Symbolic.  I guess that's all that's happened really the statues been moved but to the bottom of a river.

If they want to educate the public on slave traders and how much money they made and were compensated when slavery was abolished (which in relevant terms was more than was made to bail out the banks in 2008 ) out of men women and children’s suffering it would be a good time for the BBC to repeat this...

Profit and Loss Britain’s Forgotten Slave Owners 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062nqpd

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Serco PD. Minimum wage kids given ten minutes of training and a badge, then shoved on the streets.

Like that cash for kids scandal where the judge was being paid to send kids to prison to keep the private prisons full. Some shit needs to remain in public control.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Probably end up with a private corporate police force. The thought of it terrifies me.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Serco PD. Minimum wage kids given ten minutes of training and a badge, then shoved on the streets.

Looks like it’s not a million miles off that at the moment.

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

I'm not sure what to make of that, when you read the description it sounds pretty horrific, but looking at it he's basically driving pretty slow, doesn't hit anyone, gets loads of stuff lashed at his car and then surrounded by a crowd, at which point he brandishes a gun and everyone shits one and runs off. Probably the kind of thing guns were designed for really. 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Retrieve the statue from the river and put it in our slavery museum with the history alongside it and a video of the incident from yesterday.

Marvin Reed has said they’ll get the statue out of the docks at some point and it’ll probably end up in a city museum. 

A campaign has started for it to be replaced by one of Dr Paul Stephenson. He led the campaign to boycott Bristol buses for refusing to employ black drivers. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not sure what to make of that, when you read the description it sounds pretty horrific, but looking at it he's basically driving pretty slow, doesn't hit anyone, gets loads of stuff lashed at his car and then surrounded by a crowd, at which point he brandishes a gun and everyone shits one and runs off. Probably the kind of thing guns were designed for really. 

Pretty frantic scenes, why is he driving down that street towards the protesters? He does get viciously attacked before actually hitting anyone.

I keep reading that the slave trade isn’t covered in schools nowadays.  We definitely studied it, I remember the image of the way slaves were ‘stored’ for want of a better word in the hold of a ship and then the movement to abolish it.  Granted that will have been 35 years ago.  Why would it be taken off the curriculum?