You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

I read this today, too. It's fucking mad, isn't it? It's so easy to forget that apartheid is still in living memory for millions of Americans. I was discussing this very topic (racial politics in America) with my Year 10s yesterday in relation to John Steinbeck's use of the word "nigger" in Of Mice and Men. Little did I suspect the issues I was talking about would be so quickly illustrated. I reckon I'll get this link up on the board on Monday (calf injury not withstanding).

I love the south of the states I have been loads of times. Great hardworking folk. Yes they are racist and pro NRA. Is that not democracy. It is not for me a visitor to pass opinion on how they live thier lives.

I see little threads on here about Saudi Arabia.

Saudi doesn't have laws on race but on religion. e.g. Only Muslims allowed into Mecca as it is scared to Muslims and can get overcrowded. You can be white, black or purple it doesn't matter.

I have no issues with Southern America either, it is a democracy, BUT where there is legal injustice just because of the colour of one skin then it start impinging on human rights, international law and other such crimes and DOES become our business.

Thats the law there though, just like electric chairs and gun culture is the norm in America. I have no problem with either if thats their way of life.

O_o

You really have no problem with people being beheaded because that's "the Saudi way of life"?

Still, at least I see you have a problem with injustice "on the basis of one colour". What a shame you don't have a problem with the inequitable treatment of women or homosexuals in Saudi.

People from the South will honestly tell you they think they would be better off as a separate country. I agree with Anny Road, the south is possibly the most hospitable place in America, but also the most fucking insane. They certainly are part of the 25% who think Bush is doing an incredible job.

and for the record, racism is not just confined to southern America. It is all over this country and black people certainly are not the only targets

http://www.achart.ca/publications/jeddah.html

Stories of the brutality of Saudi Arabian justice appear from time to time in the world press and, in the market place of world opinion. The repressive Saudi Arabian government reacts with astonishing naivety, not to say brutish disregard for world opinion. The story of the Saudi Arabian princess who was publicly executed by her own father in Jeddah the previous year was a case in point.

This Princess Misha, a 23 year old young woman, was the daughter of a member of the Saudi Arabia's ruling family, the House of Saud. She had been attending the American university in Beirut. She fell in love with the son of the Saudi ambassador to Lebanon, but was summoned by the family to Riyadh to marry a man old enough to be her father. Eloping with her lover, she was married in Jeddah and from there made plans to flee the country. Discovery of her in disguise waiting for a flight at Jeddah Airport was the end of her sad journey. The harsh and unbending justice of Koranic law followed. Misha and her husband were taken to the Jeddah market place where her father shot her before her husband and in the presence of her sisters and cousins. Her husband was executed by the sword. A grisly tale indeed

• 4 weeks later...

Is the word Paki any worse than the word Brit?

I don't think it is any different although the person saying it may have a different intention behind it. I think racism is one of the most overhyped examples of "political correctness" there is.

Yesterday I saw an ad in the "London Paper" encouraging "Blacks and Asians" to become London cabbies and giving them incentives for doing so - Is that racist towards white men?

It is getting out of hand, when even blacks and asians feel like victims all the time? My old fells does voluntary work for the Commission of Racial Equality (localised branch) and some of the shit he spouts makes me think that it's some sort of liberation organisation.

I don't give a fuck if someone thinks I am a 'Paki' or if they think I should 'go home' - it is their right to an opinion BUT I will fight for myself to be the best I can whatever people's views of me. Alternitively I could cry about being a victim.

Is the word Paki any worse than the word Brit?

I don't think it is any different although the person saying it may have a different intention behind it. I think racism is one of the most overhyped examples of "political correctness" there is.

Yesterday I saw an ad in the "London Paper" encouraging "Blacks and Asians" to become London cabbies and giving them incentives for doing so - Is that racist towards white men?

It is getting out of hand, when even blacks and asians feel like victims all the time? My old fells does voluntary work for the Commission of Racial Equality (localised branch) and some of the shit he spouts makes me think that it's some sort of liberation organisation.

I don't give a fuck if someone thinks I am a 'Paki' or if they think I should 'go home' - it is their right to an opinion BUT I will fight for myself to be the best I can whatever people's views of me. Alternitively I could cry about being a victim.

Would you give a fuck if they fired you from a job/stabbed you/gave you, your wife and son shit in the street because you are a "Paki"? If this isn't just some silly, "Look at me everyone" stunt of a post, then you're utterly, utterly mental to call the concept of racism political correctness.

Would you give a fuck if they fired you from a job/stabbed you/gave you, your wife and son shit in the street because you are a "Paki"? If this isn't just some silly, "Look at me everyone" stunt of a post, then you're utterly, utterly mental to call the concept of racism political correctness.

C'mon Paul, that's hardly likely given who wrote the post, is it?

There is a massive difference between criminal acts against me irrespective of my colour and that means giving my family "shit".. and with what I would call peoples opinions.

I am not talking about harassment, any sort of harassment is a criminal offence and should be punished. I am talking about opinions and also things that quite clearly discriminate against whites. E.g. my family would be pissed off if I married a white girl, racist or cultural?

Chops - fuck off.

The southern states are indeed a strange place. They are some of the nicest, most hospitable people you could wish to meet, yet there is a large blind spot in a big portion of that society. It is getting better with the younger generation, but by and large I still think racism is well out of hand.

The Jena case certainly highlights how far they still have to go. (And lest we get too self congratulatory, it is easy to think of many problems in this country too).

There is a massive difference between criminal acts against me irrespective of my colour and that means giving my family "shit".. and with what I would call peoples opinions.

I am not talking about harassment, any sort of harassment is a criminal offence and should be punished. I am talking about opinions and also things that quite clearly discriminate against whites. E.g. my family would be pissed off if I married a white girl, racist or cultural?

Chops - fuck off.

You seriously expect your views on racism to be taken seriously, when

a) you're a racist yourself, and b) during your (much-missed) banning, you slithered back under varous pseudonyms to accuse forumites of racism for, er, thinking you were a prick...?

You seriously expect your views on racism to be taken seriously, when

a) you're a racist yourself, and b) during your (much-missed) banning, you slithered back under varous pseudonyms to accuse forumites of racism for, er, thinking you were a prick...?

I am not racist. End of.

You are a prick.

Opinions eh...

If it was "end of" you'd have taken the hint last time, and not humiliatingly begged Dave to let you back here.

I may well be a prick. Shall we see if more than 75% of the site think I'm such a huge one they want me banned?

Are you obsessed with me? I am flattered if you are.

Do you think it really matters who wants what on a web forum? Are you that child like... would you wear the results as a badge of honour at home?

I may well have asked Dave to let me back, what's that got to do with you? Is it your site? Have I EVER replied to you on any matters that don't concern me? Speak when you are spoken to boy!!

Anyway, no more responding to you. Dick head, don't you realised you're obsessed/inlove or whatever? You need help.

The southern states are indeed a strange place. They are some of the nicest, most hospitable people you could wish to meet, yet there is a large blind spot in a big portion of that society. It is getting better with the younger generation, but by and large I still think racism is well out of hand.

As well as being the biggest racists in the USA, they are also by far and away the most religious people in the entire country.

Only a total shit would try and imply some kind of link between the two though... :whistle:

As well as being the biggest racists in the USA, they are also by far and away the most religious people in the entire country.

Only a total shit would try and imply some kind of link between the two though... :whistle:

SD, much as i admire your acidic and witty posts (and i'm not being sarcastic) i'm puzzled as to why you get so het up about something that (you think) doesn't exist.

I would never go to The Deep South. I should imagine i would get held down and bummed by fat men in lumberjack shirts and dungarees.

Take Burt Reynolds with you if you do happen to go. He likes to shoot them with a bow and arrow. Oh, and make sure you don't have "a real purty mouth..." Dic-a-ding-ding ding-ding ding-ding ding...

I notice a real difference in the black lads I meet in the south. Several where mates on boats I was fishing on. Top pros and good at thier job came for a beer afterwards and took some amount of shit. Dare I say it the were Uncle Toms in person.

Maybe they were happy to take the shit with the cash.

• 12 years later...

Mad thread this. Forgot how mental Rashid was. Anyway...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/04/us/ahmaud-arbery-jogging-georgia-shooting/index.html

A Georgia man was chased and killed while jogging, his mother says

A Georgia man was chased, shot and killed while jogging more than two months ago, and his family is calling for justice. 

Ahmaud Arbery, 25, was jogging in a Brunswick neighborhood on February 23 when a man and his son chased him down, telling police later that they thought he looked like the suspect in a series of recent break-ins in the area. 

Wanda Cooper, Arbery's mother, told CNN Sunday that when police notified her of her son's death, she was told her son was involved in a burglary and that there was a confrontation between her son and the homeowner and a struggle over a gun.

"He was not armed," Cooper said. She said she never worried about him jogging because he wasn't bothering anyone.

There have been no charges against the father and son involved in the incident, former police officer Gregory McMichael and his son Travis. CNN has reached out to Gregory McMichael for comment, but he said he won't be commenting because he is under investigation. 

"This is an ongoing investigation," the Glynn County Police Department said in a statement April 28, adding that it "continues to gather and provide information to the District Attorney's Office that the case has been assigned to." 

Two district attorneys have recused themselves over possible conflicts of interest, one of whom wrote that Travis McMichael acted out of self-defense and their actions fell within Georgia's citizen arrest laws. 

Attorney Lee Merritt, who is representing the family, told CNN Sunday "the decision to rely on the citizen's arrest statute is really a recent invention, prior to that they just simply said it was self defense." Merritt says now the men are trying to use the law to say they were trying to stop a crime. 

"According to that law, you actually have to be observing the crime or be in the immediate knowledge of the crime," Merritt said. "The only thing they have ever said is ... that Ahmaud stopped by a house that was under construction and he looked through the window. We don't know if that happened or not, but even if that did happen that is not a felony that would invoke the citizen's arrest statute that would make this allowable."

After the shooting, Gregory McMichael told police he saw the same man "the other night" and that he stuck his hand down his pants on that occasion, leading McMichael to believe he was armed. 

After seeing Arbery jogging, McMichael then alerted his 34-year-old son, Travis, according to a Glynn County Police report. 

"Travis, the guy is running down the street, let's go," McMichael said, according to the report. 

The two grabbed a shotgun and a pistol and followed Arbery in their truck, police said. Travis McMichael, the driver, followed Arbery and then attempted to cut him off, the report said. Arbery turned around and began running in the opposite direction, the police report said. 

They chased Arbery to a nearby intersection where they caught up to him, the report said.

"Stop, stop, we want to talk to you," Gregory McMichael shouted at Arbery, according to the police report. 

Travis McMichael then exited truck with the shotgun, the police report said. His father told officers Arbery "violently attacked" his son, the report said, and they struggled over the gun. Travis McMichael fired two shots, the report said, and Arbery fell. Arbery was ruled dead by a coroner. 

At best, the men had the authority to follow Arbery and send law enforcement to that location, Merritt said. The 911 calls show the dispatcher was asking the men what Arbery is doing that was of criminal concern, Merritt said. 

"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'" Merritt said. 

Defenders of the men are also pointing to a shoplifting conviction in Arbery's past. 

"The reference to ... alleged conduct from high school or shoplifting is absurd and has nothing to do with his murder," Merritt said. 

He told CNN he and the family are looking for the district attorney to indict the men involved in Arbery's shooting.

"We expect action this week," Merritt said.