You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

The Daily mail have run an article saying Rugby fans might be banned from singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" .... "a spokesperson said...". Ok so no-one said it, you are just pushing this story to get more people against the BLM movement you hate inciting bastards. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Daily mail have run an article saying Rugby fans might be banned from singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" .... "a spokesperson said...". Ok so no-one said it, you are just pushing this story to get more people against the BLM movement you hate inciting bastards. 

Except it may be true.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/18/rfu-may-urge-england-fans-against-singing-swing-low-slavery

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They have been 'reviewing' that song for years. The Mail have chosen to run this story now. Not surprised to see you straight on this though. 

I'm in awe of your moral high ground. The Guardian have also chosen to run the story now.

Baltimore brothers wrongfully jailed for 24 years get $3.8m

The Innocence Project, which worked to uncover new evidence in the case, says police pressured a 13-year-old suspect to identify Mr Simmons and Mr McPherson, and threatened the boy with murder charges if he refused.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53098758

• Upvote 1

On 16/06/2020 at 17:59, AngryofTuebrook said:

Just seen these fucking weirdos on Twitter.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Honestly we are in the territory of a Chris Morris or Stewart Lee here; certainly some satirical genius. These fine specimens of English manhood are gathered around the statue of the great novelist George Eliot in Nuneaton. They believe they are protecting it, though what from and why is anyone’s guess. Maybe they think she was a slave trader or a war hero. It is possible, I suppose, that they know she was the author of one of the finest novels in literature, Middlemarch, as well as Felix Holt the Radical and Daniel Deronda. They may have picked up a rumour that offence had been taken by BLM activists at the lack of black characters in these works and there were plans to daub the monument with graffiti. Off camera there may be a huge banner declaring ‘Dorothea was white, deal with it’.

If I was to write anything on the statue it would be done tastefully and carefully and it would remind passers by that George Eliot was a sympathiser with the 1848 Revolutions in Europe, an opponent of slavery, one of the few novelists in her time to challenge anti-semitism (in Daniel Deronda) and an advocate of Home Rule for Ireland. And then I’d ask these ‘lads’ if they wanted to stand alongside me and defend her for all of that.

I bet they don't even know that George Eliot was a woman and haven't looked at the statue long enough to notice. They've been watching stuff unfold on the telly and on their Facebook, spotted a statue and "George" and decided they want a piece of the action. 

Dickheads. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Spot the difference:

BBC, Guardian, etc. run the story that the RFU is reviewing the use of the song.

Daily Heil run a screamer headline "England rugby fans could be BANNED from singing" it.

Despite the fact that literally nobody has suggested banning anyone from singing it, that is the word that the right-wing shit-stirrers have chosen to put in all capitals, the horrible lying cunts.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Spot the difference:

BBC, Guardian, etc. run the story that the RFU is reviewing the use of the song.

Daily Heil run a screamer headline "England rugby fans could be BANNED from singing" it.

Despite the fact that literally nobody has suggested banning anyone from singing it, that is the word that the right-wing shit-stirrers have chosen to put in all capitals, the horrible lying cunts.

Exactly. 

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The rice company Uncle Ben’s is to scrap the image of a black farmer the brand has used since the 1940s and could change its name, as companies react to growing concerns over racial bias and injustice.

The fuck? I always thought that was Uncle Ben 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The fuck? I always thought that was Uncle Ben 

I'll be honest I'm not arsed either way but I'm struggling with tenuous link to BLM with this one:

"The parent company, Mars, said Uncle Ben was a fictional character whose name was first used in 1946 as a reference to an African American Texan rice farmer.

The image who personifies the brand “was a beloved Chicago chef and waiter named Frank Brown”, the company said."

Smacks a bit of marketing opportunism. "You spoke, we listened, we're removing all brown M&Ms from M&Ms. M&Ms - the taste of a new generation, available in all good sweet shops.

You've got to love corporate America though, it will monetise anything, even a pandemic and a racial uprising.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'll be honest I'm not arsed either way but I'm struggling with tenuous link to BLM with this one:

"The parent company, Mars, said Uncle Ben was a fictional character whose name was first used in 1946 as a reference to an African American Texan rice farmer.

The image who personifies the brand “was a beloved Chicago chef and waiter named Frank Brown”, the company said."

Smacks a bit of marketing opportunism. "You spoke, we listened, we're removing all brown M&Ms from M&Ms. M&Ms - the taste of a new generation, available in all good sweet shops.

You've got to love corporate America though, it will monetise anything, even a pandemic and a racial uprising.

I think things like this can be racist in themselves. If I was black I could easily say "Why are you taking a black man off your branding? I'm black and I find it offensive that you find a black man representing your company offensive" 

But you are spot on. People will jump on anything if it makes an extra few quid regardless of the morality or lack of. 

Take Kerry Katona. She will no doubt be wheeled out on Good Morning Britain or This Morning soon to talk about the pain of being a single parent, her money worries and how she has had to resort to getting her bristols out on Only-Fans to put food on the table. But you can get your bottom dollar she will be dressed provocatively. 

43 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The rice company Uncle Ben’s is to scrap the image of a black farmer the brand has used since the 1940s and could change its name, as companies react to growing concerns over racial bias and injustice.

Made exactly the same reference when I read that story too.

• Upvote 1

The Slavery Museum are removing Penny Lane from their display, because they now reckon it wasn't named after a slaver.

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/reflecting-reviewing-and-responding

If this leaves a gap in the display, maybe they could replace it with Bramley-Moore Dock.

I can remember when I thought that the actual closeted Nazis were a tiny minority, even among Republicans.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebook-removes-trump-ads-violating-organized-hate-policy-n1231468

I mean, yikes. Not only did they use an obscure Nazi symbol for political prisoners, they specifically put 88 versions of the ad up. 88, you'll be unsurprised to know, is a frequently-used online neo-Nazi code, H (as in "Heil Hitler") being the 8th letter of the alphabet.

I predict zero people at Trump's campaign get sacked over this.