You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Just seen these fucking weirdos on Twitter.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Honestly we are in the territory of a Chris Morris or Stewart Lee here; certainly some satirical genius. These fine specimens of English manhood are gathered around the statue of the great novelist George Eliot in Nuneaton. They believe they are protecting it, though what from and why is anyone’s guess. Maybe they think she was a slave trader or a war hero. It is possible, I suppose, that they know she was the author of one of the finest novels in literature, Middlemarch, as well as Felix Holt the Radical and Daniel Deronda. They may have picked up a rumour that offence had been taken by BLM activists at the lack of black characters in these works and there were plans to daub the monument with graffiti. Off camera there may be a huge banner declaring ‘Dorothea was white, deal with it’.

If I was to write anything on the statue it would be done tastefully and carefully and it would remind passers by that George Eliot was a sympathiser with the 1848 Revolutions in Europe, an opponent of slavery, one of the few novelists in her time to challenge anti-semitism (in Daniel Deronda) and an advocate of Home Rule for Ireland. And then I’d ask these ‘lads’ if they wanted to stand alongside me and defend her for all of that.

The more I think about these numpties, the more I think that they might be a symptom of a world in which people select the bubbles from which they get all of their information. If they genuinely thought they were defending that statue, then they must have got it into their heads that people were randomly attacking any old statues; maybe nobody in their bubble took the time to find out who Colston was or why it's fair to say Churchill was racist.

I think Wetherspoons needs to reopen in all honesty. That's the best place for people who claim to have been in the SAS and their toothless nephews. It's like when they deactivated the containment unit in Ghostbusters and they spilled out onto the streets.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

George Floyd protests: Man shot in clash over Albuquerque statue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53060704

City officials add that when they took Baca and members of the Civil Guard into custody in an attempt to detain and disarm them, they obtained 20 guns and 34 magazines from just five individuals.

5 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Did anyone else see this on BBC 4 last night ? it's well worth a watch. It's not specifically about race but given it's about the American prison system, the students are mainly BAME. 

A two-part Storyville documentary that tells the inspiring story of a group of men and women in the USA struggling to earn college degrees while in prison for serious crimes.The Bard Prison Initiative is one of the most rigorous and effective prison education programmes in the United States. Shot over four years in maximum and medium security prisons in New York State, the films tackles a pressing issue - the failure to provide meaningful rehabilitation for over two million Americans living behind bars. Through the stories of the students and their families, we discover many dropped out of high school before being incarcerated and never imagined they would go to college. During four years of study, however, they become accomplished scholars, beat the Harvard debating team, reckon with their pasts and discover how truly transformative education can be.Incarcerated men and women at Eastern and Taconic Correctional facilities are admitted to the Bard Prison Initiative. When classes begin, they discover they must meet the same high standards as students on Bard College main campus. The debate team prepares to face the University of Vermont.

Here's the two I player links.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000k492/storyville-college-behind-bars-episode-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000k499/storyville-college-behind-bars-episode-2

Just watched them, cheers.

Very up lifting but also depressing that it is used for political point scoring by knee jerk right wing arseholes. Whilst the program works, less people go back to prison, actually saves the tax payer money, the state will not fund it due to bad press. 

That is why we are fucked, priorities are winning power for powers sake, not for helping society become a better place.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Just seen these fucking weirdos on Twitter.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Honestly we are in the territory of a Chris Morris or Stewart Lee here; certainly some satirical genius. These fine specimens of English manhood are gathered around the statue of the great novelist George Eliot in Nuneaton. They believe they are protecting it, though what from and why is anyone’s guess. Maybe they think she was a slave trader or a war hero. It is possible, I suppose, that they know she was the author of one of the finest novels in literature, Middlemarch, as well as Felix Holt the Radical and Daniel Deronda. They may have picked up a rumour that offence had been taken by BLM activists at the lack of black characters in these works and there were plans to daub the monument with graffiti. Off camera there may be a huge banner declaring ‘Dorothea was white, deal with it’.

If I was to write anything on the statue it would be done tastefully and carefully and it would remind passers by that George Eliot was a sympathiser with the 1848 Revolutions in Europe, an opponent of slavery, one of the few novelists in her time to challenge anti-semitism (in Daniel Deronda) and an advocate of Home Rule for Ireland. And then I’d ask these ‘lads’ if they wanted to stand alongside me and defend her for all of that.

To be fair Mal if Graham Norton (far right - in the picture not politically) shows up they may be protecting the statue for the Nuneaton Nazi’s.

On 14/06/2020 at 22:00, TheHowieLama said:

You almost forgot about that?

I know it sounds impossible but I swear this is true.

I have lived a rather bizarre life that is all over the map. I have had so many crazy things happen to me that occasionally I will remember something that for most people would be the most insane thing that has happened to them in their lifetime, but for me was just Tuesday. My wife likes to joke that a movie based on my life experiences would never be believed. I've never been personally involved in anything historic or important, just that I keep getting dragged into weird (and dangerous!) situations with the Russian mob or whatever because of where I've worked.

On 15/06/2020 at 04:58, SasaS said:

A guy from Bolivia, worked in Russia, just happens to be on the floor of a hotel in South Dakota during a drug bust.

Hmmm

Thinking about this from the perspective of a bunch of people reading about it on an internet forum really brought home to me how weird my life has been.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I have lived a rather bizarre life that is all over the map. I have had so many crazy things happen to me that occasionally I will remember something that for most people would be the most insane thing that has happened to them in their lifetime, but for me was just Tuesday. My wife likes to joke that a movie based on my life experiences would never be believed. I've never been personally involved in anything historic or important, just that I keep getting dragged into weird (and dangerous!) situations with the Russian mob or whatever because of where I've worked.

220px-Forest_Gump_Character.jpg

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Thinking about this from the perspective of a bunch of people reading about it on an internet forum really brought home to me how weird my life has been.

Simon, is that you ?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Cunts in Bristol have trashed the grave of an African slave and left a threatening message calling for the reinstatement of the slaver's statue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53089528

Graffiti in graveyard

Terrifying that. I hope someones pisses on it to wash it away.