You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

When my kids grow up I don’t want them to be an astronaut or a doctor I want them to be a racist as it’s an incredibly courageous and noble thing to be...

Darren Grimes
@darrengrimes

Gary Lineker says it's brave to “speak out” on racism. Is it? Surely it would be even more courageous to be overtly racist in 2020, an action that in most cases you’d risk losing your job over? Down to the brilliant fact that this country really isn’t all that racist at all!

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

To be fair did anyone expect any less of him? This is going to fan the flames of injustice, not dampen them.

Just reading this about her, I mean where do you go with that.

"Many of Mirza's Revolutionary Communist Party colleagues became influential in Conservative Party Eurosceptic circles after the dissolution of their party, while remaining closely associated with each other's endeavours."

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Just reading this about her, I mean where do you go with that.

"Many of Mirza's Revolutionary Communist Party colleagues became influential in Conservative Party Eurosceptic circles after the dissolution of their party, while remaining closely associated with each other's endeavours."

So from Revolutionary Communist Party to the Conservatives, who are neither revolutionary nor communists.

Something doesn't add up.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stickman said:

When my kids grow up I don’t want them to be an astronaut or a doctor I want them to be a racist as it’s an incredibly courageous and noble thing to be...

Darren Grimes
@darrengrimes

Gary Lineker says it's brave to “speak out” on racism. Is it? Surely it would be even more courageous to be overtly racist in 2020, an action that in most cases you’d risk losing your job over? Down to the brilliant fact that this country really isn’t all that racist at all!

He needs a fucking good hiding that little shit 

35 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So from Revolutionary Communist Party to the Conservatives, who are neither revolutionary nor communists.

Something doesn't add up.

Living Marxism closed in 2000 after being sued. Spiked opened in 2001 with many of the same editors and staff. Spiked is funded by Charles Koch. 

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/15/uk-black-lives-matter-protests-statues?CMP=fb_cif

Good stuff, but this is all going to fizzle out isn't it? Nothing will get done, nothing will change, and the Mail/ Telegraph brigade of cunts will just mock the movement for getting old TV episodes pulled or having a pop at cartoon cereal characters.

If Labour are on board with this, this could be the main legacy of the last few weeks - more authoritarian laws to protect Imperialism and its symbols; fuck all to bring justice or democracy to actual living people.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If Labour are on board with this, this could be the main legacy of the last few weeks - more authoritarian laws to protect Imperialism and its symbols; fuck all to bring justice or democracy to actual living people.

Depressingly familiar. In another 6-12-18 months we will be back discussing the same things as nothing will have changed.

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Darren Grimes
@darrengrimes

Just because there aren't "No Irish, no Blacks, no dogs" signs in guesthouses and flat adverts around the country these days means fuck all. The racism has just gone underground and is more subtle in most cases, with the odd time it comes out in public view such as with the Ingerlund fans or the marches at the weekend.

The sad thing is that in some of the most deprived parts of the country the far right will fill the void of both Labour and the Tories. I could see a far right party beginning to do very well in large swathes of the country. Brexit was in many ways the start for these guys. Both Britain and the US are very susceptible to having a dictator in the future, especially as both become less relevant on the world stage. 

Merseyside is just so different to the rest of the country. I genuinely would love it to be it's own independent republic, with only the football teams playing in the English leagues. 

28 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Just because there aren't "No Irish, no Blacks, no dogs" signs in guesthouses and flat adverts around the country these days means fuck all. The racism has just gone underground and is more subtle in most cases, with the odd time it comes out in public view such as with the Ingerlund fans or the marches at the weekend.

The sad thing is that in some of the most deprived parts of the country the far right will fill the void of both Labour and the Tories. I could see a far right party beginning to do very well in large swathes of the country. Brexit was in many ways the start for these guys. Both Britain and the US are very susceptible to having a dictator in the future, especially as both become less relevant on the world stage. 

Merseyside is just so different to the rest of the country. I genuinely would love it to be it's own independent republic, with only the football teams playing in the English leagues. 

Your last paragraph echoed something I was thinking while reading this thread. The discrimination around 'No Irish,no blacks' bullshit is heavily linked to many outsiders views on the Merseyside area. 

Merseyside, in many ways, is different from the rest of the country. But, if we mean from a racism point of view, I don't agree. There's loads of the fuckers here. It's just that our left/anti-racists are a lot more prominent and militant than the rest of the country that gives the impression that we're different when it comes to racism. 

We're not that much different though, sadly. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Merseyside, in many ways, is different from the rest of the country. But, if we mean from a racism point of view, I don't agree. There's loads of the fuckers here. It's just that our left/anti-racists are a lot more prominent and militant than the rest of the country that gives the impression that we're different when it comes to racism. 

I'd say that its become a lot more prominent in recent years but thats not surprising given the world we currently live in and the politicians we elect.

48 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

It all comes back to that phrase 'a person is clever but people are stupid'. 

The masses have been angry for a very long time. Growing inequality, fear, economic instability, rapid social changes, job losses, no pensions. A lot of people aren't into politics, they don't know why they're pissed off - they just know they're pissed off. 

What you end up with is a great big ball of popular rage sat there, festering. 

Where it should have been aimed is at the bankers, Thatcher, the ruling class, George Osborne, this scruffy cunt, Wall Street, the Barclay Brothers, Rupert Murdoch. Obviously that's not conducive to those peoples' plans so it gets directed elsewhere. 

You had the same in Nazi germany. The Nazis had some appeal and then became a joke when things picked up for the man in the street, then when things nosedived they increased in popularity again, along with about a dozen or so other parties all fighting to harness the same big ball of anger. The Communists were their main rival but the Nazis used to club them with big sticks - it really can be that simple. Plus they had a lot of former soldiers and wealthy backers behind them, all the apparatus of the elite, with non favourable media types being denounced and eventually ending up in camps. 

Corbyn had started to tap into that rage from a left point of view but it was quickly overrun due to the fact most of the above have all the money and have all the means of mass communication. 

The right operate like Tony Soprano. They may not be amazingly intelligent, but they instinctively know how to make people do what they want, either by making them an accomplice or by scaring them. The left deals in hope, but it's intangible and requires some patience and imagination. 

It's our fault for being stupid. Prince Andrew, Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson's Dad, George Osborne, David Cameron. These people see themselves as our betters and we take it again and again. Corupition is increasingly out in the open - we get angry - but the people who caused the anger seem to be the only ones able or willing to harness it. We're like a dog that chews its own balls off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Darren Grimes
@darrengrimes

Don't know who he is, but technically, he is right in saying that speaking out on racism does not require any bravery any more. It is precisely why you get subjects like "getting old TV episodes pulled or having a pop at cartoon cereal characters" (Mudface) in the public eye. You can speak quite irresponsibly and hardly anyone will dare pull you up on some grandstanding bullshit, which is the opposite of bravery. Bravery is when you have something to lose, or when you go against the majority views.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Don't know who he is, but technically, he is right in saying that speaking out on racism does not require any bravery any more. It is precisely why you get subjects like "getting old TV episodes pulled or having a pop at cartoon cereal characters" (Mudface) in the public eye. You can speak quite irresponsibly and hardly anyone will dare pull you up on some grandstanding bullshit, which is the opposite of bravery. Bravery is when you have something to lose, or when you go against the majority views.

There is a big difference between bravery and stupidity. 

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Darren Grimes
@darrengrimes

I'm definitely happy with his nomination to the "Smarmy faces to Punch" thread.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Your last paragraph echoed something I was thinking while reading this thread. The discrimination around 'No Irish,no blacks' bullshit is heavily linked to many outsiders views on the Merseyside area. 

Yeah absolutely. Really stereotypes about Liverpudlians are essentially stereotypes about the Irish. To be honest, some of them are good i.e sporty, musical, friendly, good community spirit etc but most of them are nasty i.e criminal, untrustworthy, workshy, drinkers etc. 

I remember watching a programme on the Irish famine and when it was kicking off the authorities described the Irish in letters back to Westminister like they were describing some exotic tribe in Africa as opposed to the straight laced Anglo Saxon just across the water. Liverpool then got the reputation as an exotic town full of rogues and  cowboys by the middle 19th century, compared to other Northern cities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It all comes back to that phrase 'a person is clever but people are stupid'. 

The masses have been angry for a very long time. Growing inequality, fear, economic instability, rapid social changes, job losses, no pensions. A lot of people aren't into politics, they don't know why they're pissed off - they just know they're pissed off. 

What you end up with is a great big ball of popular rage sat there, festering. 

Where it should have been aimed is at the bankers, Thatcher, the ruling class, George Osborne, this scruffy cunt, Wall Street, the Barclay Brothers, Rupert Murdoch. Obviously that's not conducive to those peoples' plans so it gets directed elsewhere. 

You had the same in Nazi germany. The Nazis had some appeal and then became a joke when things picked up for the man in the street, then when things nosedived they increased in popularity again, along with about a dozen or so other parties all fighting to harness the same big ball of anger. The Communists were their main rival but the Nazis used to club them with big sticks - it really can be that simple. Plus they had a lot of former soldiers and wealthy backers behind them, all the apparatus of the elite, with non favourable media types being denounced and eventually ending up in camps. 

Corbyn had started to tap into that rage from a left point of view but it was quickly overrun due to the fact most of the above have all the money and have all the means of mass communication. 

The right operate like Tony Soprano. They may not be amazingly intelligent, but they instinctively know how to make people do what they want, either by making them an accomplice or by scaring them. The left deals in hope, but it's intangible and requires some patience and imagination. 

It's our fault for being stupid. Prince Andrew, Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson's Dad, George Osborne, David Cameron. These people see themselves as our betters and we take it again and again. Corupition is increasingly out in the open - we get angry - but the people who caused the anger seem to be the only ones able or willing to harness it. We're like a dog that chews its own balls off. 

Yeah absolutely. Same in America.

All these dirt poor whites buying into Trump's message about Mexicans and Muslims without questioning what the fuck he will do to make their lives better.

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

There is racism everywhere and while the experiences of being a young Scouser in this country is very to being even a young Manc, all communities are capable of developing a racist problem if things are left unchecked. The poverty in large parts of Merseyside are always a potential breeding ground for "us and them" attitudes. The EDL etc just mightn't find it as easy to tap into the market in a city that doesn't feel English, but that doesn't mean we are any better than other places as you say.

Just seen these fucking weirdos on Twitter.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Honestly we are in the territory of a Chris Morris or Stewart Lee here; certainly some satirical genius. These fine specimens of English manhood are gathered around the statue of the great novelist George Eliot in Nuneaton. They believe they are protecting it, though what from and why is anyone’s guess. Maybe they think she was a slave trader or a war hero. It is possible, I suppose, that they know she was the author of one of the finest novels in literature, Middlemarch, as well as Felix Holt the Radical and Daniel Deronda. They may have picked up a rumour that offence had been taken by BLM activists at the lack of black characters in these works and there were plans to daub the monument with graffiti. Off camera there may be a huge banner declaring ‘Dorothea was white, deal with it’.

If I was to write anything on the statue it would be done tastefully and carefully and it would remind passers by that George Eliot was a sympathiser with the 1848 Revolutions in Europe, an opponent of slavery, one of the few novelists in her time to challenge anti-semitism (in Daniel Deronda) and an advocate of Home Rule for Ireland. And then I’d ask these ‘lads’ if they wanted to stand alongside me and defend her for all of that.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone else see this on BBC 4 last night ? it's well worth a watch. It's not specifically about race but given it's about the American prison system, the students are mainly BAME. 

A two-part Storyville documentary that tells the inspiring story of a group of men and women in the USA struggling to earn college degrees while in prison for serious crimes.The Bard Prison Initiative is one of the most rigorous and effective prison education programmes in the United States. Shot over four years in maximum and medium security prisons in New York State, the films tackles a pressing issue - the failure to provide meaningful rehabilitation for over two million Americans living behind bars. Through the stories of the students and their families, we discover many dropped out of high school before being incarcerated and never imagined they would go to college. During four years of study, however, they become accomplished scholars, beat the Harvard debating team, reckon with their pasts and discover how truly transformative education can be.Incarcerated men and women at Eastern and Taconic Correctional facilities are admitted to the Bard Prison Initiative. When classes begin, they discover they must meet the same high standards as students on Bard College main campus. The debate team prepares to face the University of Vermont.

Here's the two I player links.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000k492/storyville-college-behind-bars-episode-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000k499/storyville-college-behind-bars-episode-2

• Upvote 2