You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

I don't get the defund the police argument. I can in the US where they supply them with military grade weapons. What do you have instead of police. Rather than defund them use the money you spend on all this military gear and train them properly, have a real vetting programme to stop thick jar head racists being able overdose on power.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't get the defund the police argument. I can in the US where they supply them with military grade weapons. What do you have instead of police. Rather than defund them use the money you spend on all this military gear and train them properly, have a real vetting programme to stop thick jar head racists being able overdose on power.

From my limited understanding of the issue, it's about spending some of the current police budgets on measures and infrastructure that would help lower the crime rate in the first instance, rather than having a higher crime rate and then spending more on the police to deal with it.

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

John Oliver did a segment on this sort of thing a while back but it was mainly to do with seizing criminal funds. It was how they were spending those confiscated funds which was a large problem. Instead of,like you said,spending it on training and other useful resources they were spending it on tanks and armoured cars and other such frivolities. It was farcical and I can't imagine it has got any better since.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

From my limited understanding of the issue, it's about spending some of the current police budgets on measures and infrastructure that would help lower the crime rate in the first instance, rather than having a higher crime rate and then spending more on the police to deal with it.

John Oliver discussed it at length on Last Week Tonight. Basically just like this country the Americans have slashed support for things like social services, mental health services, probation services etc etc to the bone meaning the police are left to pick up the pieces. Defunding the police is about slashing their budget and spending instead on these other support services. It was a brilliant episode this week and well worth seeking out if you haven’t seen it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just don't see 'the right' as a real threat in this country, they're basically a bunch of West Ham fans and all around shithouses. Half the ones that get arrested tend to look like teenage paedophiles.

They were showing something on ITN once about 'right wing training camps' and it was basically about eight lads in a community centre kicking punch bags.

It's interesting that they only ever turn out when the police have been give  fair warning so there'll be enough coppers around to protect them if shit goes south.

Believe me, these are not the brown shirts of the future. They're taxi drivers who admire the queen and alan sugar.

• Upvote 3

I also enjoyed hearing the Scottish voices shouting at police (probably that wallop blert from Dundee, above), then listening to the “England! England!” chants break out. They’ll be fighting each other before the day’s out.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I just don't see 'the right' as a real threat in this country, they're basically a bunch of West Ham fans and all around shithouses. Half the ones that get arrested tend to look like teenage paedophiles.

They were showing something on ITN once about 'right wing training camps' and it was basically about eight lads in a community centre kicking punch bags.

It's interesting that they only ever turn out when the police have been give  fair warning so there'll be enough coppers around to protect them if shit goes south.

Believe me, these are not the brown shirts of the future. They're taxi drivers who admire the queen and alan sugar.

That's probably a lot closer to the truth albeit it probably encompasses most teams. Football hooligans have not gone anywhere in reality, they just can't act like they used to in and around stadiums as the security and cameras will pick them up. These protests are just ideal for them due to being policed as you say, and unless they go real OTT then the chances of them being arrested are slim and it doesn't see them barred from grounds. There's a reason that England fans choose to be bell ends abroad, because the Police abroad will just be glad to coral the cunts and make sure they get back on the transport home. The sad thing is a lot of these cunts will be in positions job wise where they can influence others with their bile. 

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Doesn't the UK being run by a right wing populist kind of defeat this point though?

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

If you haven't already seen it -

That's very powerful, the sheer number of people's lives that have been ruined is heartbreaking. It's like you're not only playing against a rigged deck, but the House cheats and changes rules when it sees fit, you've got no chance.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's very powerful, the sheer number of people's lives that have been ruined is heartbreaking. It's like you're not only playing against a rigged deck, but the House cheats and changes rules when it sees fit, you've got no chance.

Yes, I think it's very good and answers a lot of questions.

• Upvote 1