You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

Anyone know how long iOPC takes for reviewing police complaint/s?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-watchdog-launches-investigation-after-18250259

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-52514810/iopc-investigates-west-midlands-police-officer-s-excessive-force

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/investigation-launched-viral-footage-police-15966207

All of these are recent. The last link happened in March.

These are ones that I've seen on social media. There's probably shitloads more that I've not seen.

58 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Anyone know how long iOPC takes for reviewing police complaint/s?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-watchdog-launches-investigation-after-18250259

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-52514810/iopc-investigates-west-midlands-police-officer-s-excessive-force

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/investigation-launched-viral-footage-police-15966207

All of these are recent. The last link happened in March.

These are ones that I've seen on social media. There's probably shitloads more that I've not seen.

The top one in Manchester was a drink driver, assaulted police.  

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Did he? 

36 mg of alcohol on his breath, according to the linked article. Limit is 35. Not that it excuses going on an uninsured drive, with your kid, breaking lockdown and the speed limit. But we're not talking about a sprawling paralytic here and none of that is reason to taser the guy.

I assume that they were having to confiscate the vehicle, which must be a difficult task.  But that video is shocking regardless, the man who discharges the weapon isn't even engaged with him at the time, the other officer is clearly leading the conversation while the other guy is trying to grab his arm and then just shoots him.

Black people are subject to about a fifth of all CED uses, having had a quick look at the stats. Overall usage is rising year-on-year (about 40% from 16/17 to 17/18 - 23,500 in total), so probably worth keeping an eye - and pressure on. Especially considering 8.5% (1500 incidents left off the table + 600 don't knows, rounded down to 2000) incidents aren't included in the breakdown because full details weren't recorded or they "didn't know" the ethnicity.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

If it’d been me I’d have tasered him.  Who wants to get hands on? Or maybe they should have gone old school and smacked him with batons?  

Maybe they should've dealt more calmly with the relatively minor offence of resisting/obstructing an officer given that it's nowhere near as serious as the separate offence of assaulting a police officer, which you falsely claimed that he'd committed? 

Screenshot_20200601_000119.jpg

Frankly, reading the College of Policing guidance, it's seems even worse than I'd thought. 

Does this appear to have taken place?

Oral and visual warning to the subject

Where circumstances permit, officers should provide the subject with a clear warning of their intention to use a CED.

They should give sufficient time for the warning to be heeded, unless to do so would unduly place any person at risk, or would be clearly inappropriate or pointless in the circumstances of the incident.

Also does the other officer jumping when it's discharged suggest that the use was communicated to others present?

how about:

The discharge of a CED is intended to mitigate the threat by temporarily incapacitating the individual, not solely to inflict severe pain or unnecessary suffering on another in the performance or purported performance of official duties (see ECHR Article 3).

The duration of the initial discharge and any subsequent discharge must be proportionate, lawful, accountable and absolutely necessary (PLAN).

Incidents where subjects are already contained or restrained may be subject to closer scrutiny or interest. Any medical risk may be increased the longer or more often the device is discharged.

Then there's the list of other risk factors to consider:

There are a number of factors which may influence the operational use of CEDs. These include, but are not limited to:

• head injuries from unsupported falls
  • repeated and/or prolonged application of discharge
  • avoidance of sensitive areas (primarily head, neck or genitalia)
  • pre-existing medical conditions
  • positional asphyxia
  • subjects already restrained
  • acute behavioural disturbance
  • vulnerable people
  • children and people of small stature
  • flammable material (eg, petrol, CS irritant spray)
  • explosive environments (eg, petrol vapour, propane, natural gas).

• New York Mayor’s Bill de Blasio’s 25-year-old daughter was one of the demonstrators who was arrested this weekend. As outlets reported the news, a New York City police union tweeted personal information about Chiara de Blasio’s arrest.

Jessica Huseman (@JessicaHuseman)

Police are firing beanbag rounds in Austin. There was no warning, it has made the situation much worse. pic.twitter.com/0cCZ3qTmjU

June 1, 2020

The cop shooting beanbags, im not kidding, is smiling. I can see his face.

June 1, 2020

None of the officers near him will tell me who he is and none will say why he started firing.

June 1, 2020

Huseman is a ProPublica reporter. Not a demonstrator.

Meanwhile. In Oakland. Not sure if this was a novel attempt to keep demonstrators off the streets.

Alameda County Sheriff (@ACSOSheriffs)

Reports of a Tiger on the loose near the Oakland Zoo. If you see it call 911. 98th Ave at Golf Links.

June 1, 2020

Alameda County Sheriff (@ACSOSheriffs)

Tigers are all accounted for at the Oakland Zoo. They just checked and confirmed.

June 1, 2020

From a local journo.

Darwin BondGraham (@DarwinBondGraha)

Dispatcher: "If you can see if we have an actual tiger walking around on the streets right now?"

OPD helicopter: we'll check it out.

Sgt.: Staff at the zoo say all animals are accounted for at this time.

June 1, 2020

Journalist in Denver.

Alex Burness (@alex_burness)

Just drove a couple big laps around the Capitol and through Cap Hill. Saw a couple dumpster fires but otherwise pretty quiet. I didn’t see many protesters. There are still cops everywhere. And “cops” doesn’t really do it justice — SWAT trucks, tons of them. Debris all over.

June 1, 2020
Alex Burness (@alex_burness)

The show of force from police over the last hour in Denver has been way above and beyond anything else I’ve seen since all this started four days ago. In fact it’s beyond anything I’ve seen from police in my life.

June 1, 2020
Adolfo Guzman-Lopez (@AGuzmanLopez)

I just got hit by a rubber bullet near the bottom of my throat. I had just interviewed a man with my phone at 3rd and Pine and a police officer aimed and shot me in the throat, I saw the bullet bounce onto the street @LAist @kpccOK, that’s one way to stop me, for a while pic.twitter.com/9C2u5KmscG

June 1, 2020

Tyler Blint- Welsh (@tylergabriel_)

Lost my glasses and my ankle is in searing pain after NYPD hit me in the face multiple times with riot shields and pushed me to the ground. I was backing away as request, with my hands up. My NYPD-issued press badge was clearly visible. I’m just sitting here crying. This sucks.

June 1, 2020

Can anyone recommend any good podcasts on what’s happening in the US right now please? I’m interested in both mainstream takes and also more independent ones. However I specifically want them from a US perspective please. Had a quick dig around and struggled. I am quite new to podcasting though so my ineptitude is almost certainly a factor. Cheers. 

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If it’d been me I’d have tasered him.  Who wants to get hands on? Or maybe they should have gone old school and smacked him with batons?  

Anybody remember that whopper on the "When is violence justified?" thread who just kept talking about milkshake and saying that violence is never justified?

What a card he was!