You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

10 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Cry havoc, and let slip the vicious dog whistles of war!"

If Covid-19 was Trump's first real test, this might be his second. If he's not careful he might reap what he's been sewing the past three (ten) years.

Things could get out of hand very quickly. 

I hope not.

Thats beautiful man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Protests around Trump's properties in New York and Chicago now. Lots of stuff online about press being pepper sprayed, (John Cussack had his bike smashed up by coppers as he was filming, bizarrely). 

Seems to be a deep-rooted culture in American law enforcement which we saw in shows like The Wire of almost being like a military mindset, us and them, do what you're told or you'll get twatted or killed. You really see it at times like this.

Guest Pistonbroke
10 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

What. The. Actual. Fuck. 

Surely that is an inside job by some Racist nut job working for Amazon or a hacker. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Almost certainly the seller had his account hacked.

Yeah, most people wouldn't be so stupid to risk their business like that on a public platform. I'm not sure how Amazon check what sellers are putting up but you'd think that everything is checked for viable content (Buzz words etc) before allowing the seller to put it up. Tends to suggest that it is an inside job imo. 

19 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

We should mention there are more whites than blacks if you are going to do that.

You should mention that African Americans commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes if you are going to do that. 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Aventus said:

You should mention that African Americans commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes if you are going to do that. 

Blacks are 3 more times as likely to be arrested than whites for the same offence. Probably skews the figures a little bit that.

• Upvote 1

Racism aside, the US has a big problem with how it is policing it's citizens. There is a lengthy and rather detailed expose in Malcolm Gladwell's last book of what approaches, techniques and procedures they use, how it evolved and why and how this complicates matters.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

I don't have to, you just did.

But I will mention that the incident which has sparked this whole thing off was far from a violent crime.

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Racism aside, the US has a big problem with how it is policing it's citizens. There is a lengthy and rather detailed expose in Malcolm Gladwell's last book of what approaches, techniques and procedures they use, how it evolved and why and how this complicates matters.  

And as if by magic...

EZV3AKYXsAAHeLo?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Blacks are 3 more times as likely to be arrested than whites for the same offence. Probably skews the figures a little bit that.

Cant remember the stats but there's a huge proportion of ethnic minorities in prison in the states who have never been convicted by a court, they've taken a plea bargain. The insinuation often seems to be that "this could go to court, you're black, the judge/jury mostly aren't, you could risk 20 years for something you didn't do or take five in a plea".

Scousers of all people in england should know what it feels like to be pre/overly judged.

• Upvote 4

“No, I don’t think there’s systemic racism,” O’Brien told Jake Tapper on CNN’s State of the Union. Instead, O’Brien said “there are some bad cops that are racist and there are cops that maybe don’t have the right training.”

Since we are mentioning things in this thread - in the last 100 years there have been two black Republican senators.

There have been, I think, 5 black Republicans in the House during that time - 100 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

“No, I don’t think there’s systemic racism,” O’Brien told Jake Tapper on CNN’s State of the Union. Instead, O’Brien said “there are some bad cops that are racist and there are cops that maybe don’t have the right training.”

Since we are mentioning things in this thread - in the last 100 years there have been two black Republican senators.

There have been, I think, 5 black Republicans in the House during that time - 100 years.

There were two in the 1870s, when the Republicans were still the good guys.