You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Belgium

Faustus

• 1 year later...
antwerp is fucking boss

stayed in some mad hostel, i'll try and remember it for you

some mad woman came in the dorm in the middle of the night and we were all pissing oursleves laughing but trying to hide it, quality it was

Antwerp is the ideal stag venue ..loadsa bars ,clubs ,red lights and close enough to Holland to be dead easy to pick up fresh weed...some great food to be picked up in the Jewish or Tunisian areas too

The Grote Markte has some cracking late bars ..I used work in the Irish Times and Kits ...theres some class jamaican bars too with dj's and masses of weed and when you inevitable get the munchies theres a chicken rosterie right next door ..

oh and on the subject on what Belgium is famous for ,can't believe nobody said Chips

Best chips in the universe ...most of the career chippers have actually done degrees in how to make them ..unreal chips ..Place Jourdain in Brussels are supposedly the best in the world..fritland in the city centre behind la bourse are stunningly good too

• Upvote 1

Cycling is probably the biggest sport in Belgium - and Tom Boonen (aka Tommeke) is the biggest sports star in Belgium. Add in Eddy Merckx, Stijn Devolder, Roger De Vlaeminck, Mario Aerts, etc

What about Philip Gilbert? A much bigger deal on the world stage these days than coke fueled has-been Tornado Tom. (watch him go and win MSR on Saturday now)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back, it was awesome.

Antwerp, Lueven, Genk and Brussels. Great cities, plenty to keep you entertained and very quirky. Not going to bore you all with the tales, but the food and ale was great.

Our little motto for the trip was the opening line of the HMHB song 'CAMRA Man'

'Anything under five percent I don’t want to drink it'

• 9 years later...

One for @Nunavut Patrick

A farmer in Belgium has caused a stir after inadvertently redrawing the country's border with France.

A local history enthusiast was walking in the forest when he noticed the stone marking the boundary between the two countries had moved 2.29m (7.5ft).

The Belgian farmer, apparently annoyed by the stone in his tractor's path, had moved it inside French territory.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

One for @Nunavut Patrick

A farmer in Belgium has caused a stir after inadvertently redrawing the country's border with France.

A local history enthusiast was walking in the forest when he noticed the stone marking the boundary between the two countries had moved 2.29m (7.5ft).

The Belgian farmer, apparently annoyed by the stone in his tractor's path, had moved it inside French territory.

The Germans will just run it over eventually.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

One for @Nunavut Patrick

Should take the Heston Blumenthal approach. 

22 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One for @Nunavut Patrick

The Russians will be launching that stone into the Atlantic inside 30 years.

On 24/03/2012 at 01:44, Liverpool lad said:

Lueven

I worked for a week in Leuven. The weather was beautiful and the girls were spectacular. 

It was also my late Auntie’s middle name. Named after some wartime family connection which I’m ashamed to say I don’t know. This thread has reminded me to find out.