You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pavement fans

sh#t waffle

So this Pavement lot, any good? Never listened to 'em.

*Expects negathon*

Get listening, it's never too late. You will love them if you like quirky indie rock.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were ATP tickets last week when we looked - are they all gone now?

London's a bit far, and then there's this supposed Jetplane tour in the Spring. That'll use up a good few holiday days.

All the twin/ double rooms have gone but there are stil some 4-6 berths. I'm talking about the Pavement, not MG ones.

• 4 months later...

I’m going tonight, woohoo!

Although I very nearly wasn’t, I was two tram stops in to my ride to work when I got “the fear”, checked my back pocket where I’d stashed the ticket, and found no ticket! Jumped off the tram, legged it back to where I got on thinking it might have fallen out there, but no ticket. Retraced my steps back home checking any slightly white looking bit of rubbish in the gutter cursing my stupid sorry arse, got to about 10 metres from my front door and there was the ticket sitting right in the middle of the pavement (no pun intended).

What a stupid lucky bastard!

• 2 weeks later...
So how was it Mr Jones?

It was good. Although not earth shatteringly good like back in the old days – but I guess that’s always going to be the way with these reform gigs, and the reason I’ve always avoided them before. Made me feel old as well being in with all the old gits, and thinking that the first time I’d seen them was 16 years ago – which is nearly half my life!

Spiral Stairs is the balding going to fat one, which was always going to be the case, whereas Malkmus is still the handsomest, hippest, indie-est front man going and Bob Nastanovich is one of the finest men alive.

They played loads of stuff from Slanted & Enchanted (even Conduit for Sale which I’ve never seen them do as I thought they were a bit ashamed of it’s blatant Fall ripoffiness), Crooked Rain Crooked Rain and Wowee Zowee, and nothing from Terror Twilight (which is fine as Major Leagues is the only decent song on it).

Played for a good two hours including a couple of encores, but could easily have gone for another hour or so, particularly missed a few of my faves from Brighten the Corners and didn’t do any real obscure ones apart from Box Elder and Frontwards.

Highlights for me were No Life Singed her, Unfair, Grounded, Fight this Generation, Frontwards, Perfume-V.

They almost put a bit more feeling in the not so well known ones as the classics, although Gold Soundz, Range Life, Summer Babe, Here and Trigger Cut were good too obviously.

• 1 month later...

Completely missed Jose Jones' post having asked the question! Glad you enjoyed it; it's probably never likely to be as good as the old days. Am seeing them this weekend. Been listening to a lot of Wowee Zowee recently so cannot wait to hear Grounded. Have fun tonight TK..

Guest TK-421

Cheers, I hope they play Grounded too. And Baptist Blacktick, but that probably ain't gonna happen, its not "choose your own setlist".

Guest TK-421

*Spoiler*

They played Stop Breathin' during the second encore tonight, it was fabulous.

It was a great show and they looked like they were having fun. I couldn't hear the guitars as well as I would have liked but it's probably the acoustics of Brixton Academy and I was stood quite near the back under a quite low ceiling. It sounded much better further forward.

The crowd loved the earlier stuff and anything off Brighten the Corners. The Wowee Zowee stuff and material from other records didn't go down so well. It was all good for me, favourites were Debris Slide, Stereo, Starlings of the Slipstream, Perfume V and In the Mouth a Desert. Worraband.

Such an effortlessly unintentionally cool band.

Always remember seeing the video for "cut your hair" on mtv2 played alot around 1998/1999 and thinking it was the best thing ever. Which reminds me of another video that was on then, noise addict - "frail girl", who wrote a song with the lyrics "he even understands the words to pavement songs". Now that leads me to Ben lee, any Ben lee fans? lol

Random.

I'm supposed to be writing an essay on music :wallbutt: