You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "only in America" thread...

Chris

This thread is dedicated to highlighting all sorts of American awesomeness. I'm thinkin... shit talkin, hard rockin, megatude that only our buddies across the pond can provide. Let me start with

Miss South Carolina!

(followed by the obligatory apology if this has already been posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iqXhQBIDf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqv21oN9Wn0&mode=related&search=

The dumbness of americans is a symptom of thier power.

The best times in my life have been in the states. The southern part of the USA is a wonderful place and full of culture and human beings.

I have never met such generous and honest people and I have been all over the world.

They have no sense of empathy but I love em.

Judge Orders Concord Man To Bury Mummified Baby

http://www.wmur.com/news/14157668/detail.html

Probate Judge Richard Hampe said the mummified baby known as "Baby John" passed down for generations through Charles Peavey's family must be buried because there is no DNA evidence proving kinship.

Until police confiscated Baby John last year, the mummy had been on display on a bureau in Peavey's home. Relatives and friends treated the desiccated infant as a family member, giving it cards during holidays and even a dried fish as a pet.

Forklift removes 900-pound man from home

http://www.9news.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=77576

Firefighters cut a hole in the side of a house and used a forklift to extricate a 900-pound man from his second-floor bedroom after a visiting nurse became worried about his health.

Rescue workers brought in a forklift, high enough to raise a platform to a hole cut into the wall of the house. They covered the man with a blue tarp to shield him from onlookers and slid the platform onto a flatbed truck for a trip to Sparrow Hospital.

Hershey's is not very tasty, but I find it is edible if part of a smore. Take a Graham cracker (no relation), put some Hershey's chocolate on there, toast marshmallows and put them on to the chocolate so it starts to melt. They are nice at camp fires. The trick with the marshmallows is to keep them far enough from the flame so as to not burn, but to be patient enough to create a shell on the outside and hot liquid on the inside.

• 2 years later...
My brother brought a load of Hershey miniatures back from California in the summer and they leave an aftertaste in your mouth thats almost exactly the same as when you are a bit sick in your mouth and then you swallow it. Seriously. Steer clear kids, Cadburys is where it's at.

yeah we got given some on Halloween when we were on holiday over there and we also bought some Hershey's Kisses back for my workmates. They all taste like sick. The first time I tasted them I thought they'd gone off but they hadn't.

Having said that some people in the office liked them and didn't get the sick taste at all - weird huh? For me they actually taste like sick!!!! Fuckin disgusting drops of disease ridden sheep shit - that's what they are.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss

Portland's finest :-

Police officer accidentally sprayed burning man with pepper spray - KOINLocal6.com

PORTLAND - A man poured gasoline on himself, then lit himself on fire Wednesday morning, Portland Police said.

Thursday, police added to the story: in an effort to save the man, an officer went to grab a fire extinguisher from the trunk of her patrol car, but she grabbed riot-control-grade pepper spray instead and sprayed the man with that.

Daniel Shaull, 26, of Kansas, the man who lit himself on fire, succumbed to his injures Wednesday evening.

"What she pulled out of the truck of her police car was not the fire extinguisher she thought she was retrieving but it was in fact a large can of pepper spray," Police chief Rosie Sizer said.

Sizer added that while the spray is water based and is not an accelerant, that she feels badly for the officer.

"I feel very badly about the circumstances but I do not feel nearly as badly as the officer involved and I think the public can understand was really heart sick about what happened in the first place and was heart sick that she couldn't change the outcome and when she found out that she had applied the wrong product was even more heart sick."

• 8 years later...