You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irrational spelling mistake hatred thread.

madstock

Another vote for 'nite'. In fact any text speak - honourable mentions to 'ur welcum' and anything with an 8 (gr8, l8r). Even worse are text words with the same amount of letters, but spelt incorrectly (e.g. 'cuz'. What's wrong with 'cos'?). When I was lecturing, I'd regularly be given whole assignments written in text speak.

I'm also an horrendous apostrophe Nazi.

Surely it 'a horrendous' instead of 'an horrendous' because the H isn't silent.

As for the assignments in text speak I hope you failed those assignments or gave them low marks.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Surely it 'a horrendous' instead of 'an horrendous' because the H isn't silent.

As for the assignments in text speak I hope you failed those assignments or gave them low marks.

In fact Remmie, I think that the H should be silent, it should be pronounced 'Orrendous..therefore SKI was correct and 'an horrendous' is the right option.

In fact Remmie, I think that the H should be silent, it should be pronounced 'Orrendous..therefore SKI was correct and 'an horrendous' is the right option.

That is not right I'm afraid due to the venacular being a pronounced "h". The one you can argue this for perhaps is Hotel, but you are on shaky ground with that one even. I doubt that anyone says 'orrendous.

That is not right I'm afraid due to the venacular being a pronounced "h". The one you can argue this for perhaps is Hotel, but you are on shaky ground with that one even. I doubt that anyone says 'orrendous.

I don't pronounce any H's at the beginning of words.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I do RiS to be fair. I'd say I've had an (h)orrendous day rather than I've had A 'H'orrendous day.

I'm having an horrendous day (sorry RiS, I'm with Fat Lez (turncoat cockennie fattage). Billy no mates and señor Paddy on this one.). One of the reasons it's been so bad is that someone offered me methylenedioxymetamphetamine. Everyone knows it's methylenedioxymethamphetamine. Another dreadful example of text speak finding its way into everyday conversation. Grrrrr.

You're all right. If you drop your H in pronunciation (as I do) you'd use 'an'. If you pronounce H, you'd use 'a'. Both are correct.

Remmie, funnily enough an ex-colleague of mine phoned me not so long ago. They were having a clear out of the archives, and she said she'd had to ring because they'd all been pissing themselves laughing at the comments I'd written on the assignment covers. These ranged from "plz redo no txtspk" to "WTF????" scrawled in big red letters across the front.

I wouldn't even mark them, never mind fail them.

I don't mind spelling mistakes per se, as anyone can make a typo - and besides, the English language is so irregular that the only way to be a truly great speller is have a huge memory. What does irritate me, though, is the willful/lazy abuse of the language; that, and the "it's not important" attitude to ignorance of the rules of the language. If someone can't see that communication is at the very heart of what makes us the social creatures that we are and, by logical extension, precision and clarity are therefore essential for human interaction, then I simply despair.

Is herb or 'erb? Herb or 'erbal? (Pronunciation wise that is)......

....,,.,.,.:::;;;;.,.,.,.,.,;;.;.

Sorry, just felt like adding some dots and stuff. Some random punctuation.

Not so much spelling as pronouncing the word Herbal, why, when someone is having Herbal tea does it get pronounced, by every cunt who i've ever heard say it, 'erbal tea? That really twists my knackers.

Also RR, i'm with you on the realising a mistake thing as well, pisses me off when i realize i've done it. (i put the 'z' in realise just to piss the people who don't like it off.)

1. hankerchief handkerchief

2. government goverment

3. mischevous mischievous

4. viscious vicious

5. posession possession

6. renowned renouned

7. gratefull grateful

8. perseverance perseverence

9. desperate desparate

10. instructor instructer

11. tongue tounge

12. pleasant pleasent