You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Accupuncture

bri

had my first session on my back tonight, not as bad as i thought, well see how it goes seems to provided some light relief. Seeing a chiro for a 15min free consulatancy to see if i need to adjust my posture and if i need a deep muscle massage.

anyone ever had it before

I'm based down in london mate but I know how a bad back can feel, fkin shite basically. Slipped disc is a bit more serious than me mate but.

I'd do a alot of research, get as much info as you can. The place I've found does a mix of chiro, sports massage and accupuncture. It has good reviews so I'll go with it. I'm a bit of a sceptic and tend to take alternative medicine with a pich of salt. But I've had a fair few mates recommend accupuncture so I'll give it a go. First treatment seemed to have some effect. He seems to think 3-4 should do it.

Also cost, but I weigh that against I'm fairly active so I'll do whats neccessary to get it right.

I would seek advice from the NHs if you have bupa all the better. Then I would try to find a place that does a combo of chiro, massage, physio and maybe accupuncture and see if they can help you.

I went the nhs they said avoid impact sports like footie and running, try swimming which i do anyway and pain killers. 5mins

Tonight i spent 30 mins talking about the type of pain where it was and reccomeded treatment, a mild accupuncture and i'll have a chiro assesment on wednesday for £35.

read as much as you can about it and see what you can find out. other than that you can buy deep heat pads that don't smell that you can wear in bed. they've helped. sticky things, no big deal.

I had acupuncture when I was getting really bad sinus problems a couple of years ago - sorted the whole thing out in 3 sessions, and it's never re-occured. Mrs Chops had a combination of that and chiropracty for a longstanding back problem and (eventually) it worked a treat - that after years of seeing shitty oesteopaths who only seemed to make things worse.

I have had accupuncture on a long-standing neck problem and it did nothing for me. I and the NHS have spent many hundreds of pounds on osteopathy and chiropracty (sp) for my neck and back problems and I still have them. The problems - not my neck and back. Which of course I still have. chap, you're rambling again...

To be fair, it might be more to do with my body than their abilties but, nontheless, I have wasted a small fortune.

My advice to anyone thinking of going to such a professional is to go on personal recommendation only. Much like a tradesman.

A little story for you, I met John Cleese a few years ago(about 25) outside an Accupuncturist and he asked if this place to which I replied the correct time by Accurist was 5.30, as you can guess he was not amused as the old saying goes I tell em you laugh and dont tell the jokes.

Obviously you need to be reasonably old to understand this particular story

Got it done for the first time a couple of days ago for back/shoulder/neck trigger point issue I did in the gym.

Have to say it has relieved the pain considerably and have well pleased with the results. NOrmally for back and neck issues I have always gone with an osteopath, where things are clicked out and have relieved the pain more or less instant, but thought I would try an alternative method this time.

• 11 years later...

Had a seriously weird evening yesterday. Apologies if this is too long but I don't know how to shorten the story.

Anyway, a lot of people in this area believe strongly in "alternative medicine." Which, fair enough - it's not our thing, but if they want to drink from this spring or that one to "cure cancer" or whatever it's not a problem I feel like I need to fix.

So yesterday our old upstairs neighbors come over for a visit. We have kept in touch since they moved out and we still hang out frequently as they are nice and always interested in spending time together. As normal, we settle in with cups of tea and start chatting about what's up with them, etc.

At some point in the conversation I mention that I just finished playing football and my muscles are all sore. This seems to be their cue to jump in and talk about how they have a magical cure for muscle soreness, which, by the way, also happens to cure chondritis (whatever that is), diabetes, kidney disorders, the list goes on and on. It's some sort of massage, oh and by the way they actually brought the apparatus over just to see if we want to try it out.

I feel a bit ambushed at this point but it would be extremely rude to turn them down, they're so worked up about it. And besides, I WAS a bit curious about what was in the weird suitcase-looking thing they had arrived with.

So at first we're thinking this is just some new massage technique, and we can just sit in front of them on the couch and they'll rub our shoulders with some sort of wand or something for a few minutes and we can politely say "oh, yeah, that felt great" and then move on with our lives. Little did we know!

At this point she takes my lovely wife back into our bedroom mumbling about "electro-massage" while he and I keep drinking tea. As the minutes go by I go from curious to nervous. Finally, like 30 minutes later she staggers back into the living room. When asked how it was, the best she can muster is to say that it was "different." Ominous.

Now it's my turn, so he takes me into our bedroom and asks me to strip down to my boxers and lay down on our bed, at which point I'm feeling veeeeerry reluctant to keep going but I have no idea how to back out at this point. I decide to say that "my legs feel fine" so I can keep my jeans on and just take my shirt off. He starts plugging in this machine and getting gel on my back and then plugs his gloves (!) into this mad-scientist-looking box that's glowing and beeping.

"We'll start with a low setting," he says, while asking me to relax. Yeah, sure, mate. That is not happening.

When he puts his hands on my shoulders it sends a shock through my muscles that is hard to define. It was somewhere between tingly and painful. The machine is sending electrical current through the gloves, and the theory is that the stimulation is supposed to increase bloodflow which in turn has almost magical effects on everything you touch, if the sellers of the machine are to be believed. But none of that matters to me right now, because I'm just trying to figure out a way to make it stop as quickly as possible without losing a friendship for good!

I guess it was around this point that I decided the best thing to do was just to ride it out. It wasn't THAT painful, after all, just super weird-feeling. I did get a bit nervous when he skipped over one part of my back and when I asked why he said "oh, you're not supposed to do it over the heart as it can interfere with the heart's rhythm." Oh, yeah, that sounds comforting, coming from a man who, to my knowledge, has no medical training.

But when he cranked up the juice and went down to my fingers the pain went from "annoying" to "excruciating" and I yelped and yanked my hand away. Of course, the pain just shows that "you need it more in that area," which, just, ???

After a half-hour or so he was confident that all my health troubles were behind me, so I tried to stand up and thank him. It was challenging but I hope I managed to sound thankful enough that we haven't offended them and will never see them again.

Oh, and of course, afterwards they tried to sell us one of their magical machines because it turns out to be a Nigerian pyramid-scheme company and if they can just sign up four people under them then they can make real money etc. etc.

One guess as to whether we invested in one of the "electro-massage" torture machines.

It was a bit like being the frog that's being boiled. Just got deeper and deeper into it. I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into until it had gone so far that it was impossible to back out without being incredibly rude.

Fortunately, now that we've survived I can look back and laugh at it.

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It was a bit like being the frog that's being boiled. Just got deeper and deeper into it. I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into until it had gone so far that it was impossible to back out without being incredibly rude.

Fortunately, now that we've survived I can look back and laugh at it.

Being incrediley rude? They were giving you electric shocks and then trying to flog you the machine.

What next water boarding and buy the bucket?

14 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Had a seriously weird evening yesterday. Apologies if this is too long but I don't know how to shorten the story.

Anyway, a lot of people in this area believe strongly in "alternative medicine." Which, fair enough - it's not our thing, but if they want to drink from this spring or that one to "cure cancer" or whatever it's not a problem I feel like I need to fix.

So yesterday our old upstairs neighbors come over for a visit. We have kept in touch since they moved out and we still hang out frequently as they are nice and always interested in spending time together. As normal, we settle in with cups of tea and start chatting about what's up with them, etc.

At some point in the conversation I mention that I just finished playing football and my muscles are all sore. This seems to be their cue to jump in and talk about how they have a magical cure for muscle soreness, which, by the way, also happens to cure chondritis (whatever that is), diabetes, kidney disorders, the list goes on and on. It's some sort of massage, oh and by the way they actually brought the apparatus over just to see if we want to try it out.

I feel a bit ambushed at this point but it would be extremely rude to turn them down, they're so worked up about it. And besides, I WAS a bit curious about what was in the weird suitcase-looking thing they had arrived with.

So at first we're thinking this is just some new massage technique, and we can just sit in front of them on the couch and they'll rub our shoulders with some sort of wand or something for a few minutes and we can politely say "oh, yeah, that felt great" and then move on with our lives. Little did we know!

At this point she takes my lovely wife back into our bedroom mumbling about "electro-massage" while he and I keep drinking tea. As the minutes go by I go from curious to nervous. Finally, like 30 minutes later she staggers back into the living room. When asked how it was, the best she can muster is to say that it was "different." Ominous.

Now it's my turn, so he takes me into our bedroom and asks me to strip down to my boxers and lay down on our bed, at which point I'm feeling veeeeerry reluctant to keep going but I have no idea how to back out at this point. I decide to say that "my legs feel fine" so I can keep my jeans on and just take my shirt off. He starts plugging in this machine and getting gel on my back and then plugs his gloves (!) into this mad-scientist-looking box that's glowing and beeping.

"We'll start with a low setting," he says, while asking me to relax. Yeah, sure, mate. That is not happening.

When he puts his hands on my shoulders it sends a shock through my muscles that is hard to define. It was somewhere between tingly and painful. The machine is sending electrical current through the gloves, and the theory is that the stimulation is supposed to increase bloodflow which in turn has almost magical effects on everything you touch, if the sellers of the machine are to be believed. But none of that matters to me right now, because I'm just trying to figure out a way to make it stop as quickly as possible without losing a friendship for good!

I guess it was around this point that I decided the best thing to do was just to ride it out. It wasn't THAT painful, after all, just super weird-feeling. I did get a bit nervous when he skipped over one part of my back and when I asked why he said "oh, you're not supposed to do it over the heart as it can interfere with the heart's rhythm." Oh, yeah, that sounds comforting, coming from a man who, to my knowledge, has no medical training.

But when he cranked up the juice and went down to my fingers the pain went from "annoying" to "excruciating" and I yelped and yanked my hand away. Of course, the pain just shows that "you need it more in that area," which, just, ???

After a half-hour or so he was confident that all my health troubles were behind me, so I tried to stand up and thank him. It was challenging but I hope I managed to sound thankful enough that we haven't offended them and will never see them again.

Oh, and of course, afterwards they tried to sell us one of their magical machines because it turns out to be a Nigerian pyramid-scheme company and if they can just sign up four people under them then they can make real money etc. etc.

One guess as to whether we invested in one of the "electro-massage" torture machines.

In the UK, we call that "Swinging".