You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

From Chris Bascombe. . .

dave u

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was quite clearly talking about a minority of people. Did you miss this bit?

"The overwhelming majority of people in Liverpool are intelligent; thoughtful; generous of heart and spirit, and of like mind. They just get out-shouted a lot by our mob or out-manoeuvred by the more incompetent of our politicians or civic leaders."

This bit?

How about this bit, the opening line:

"LIVERPOOL likes to describe itself as a radical city, but it isn't." Which minority is he referring to there Paul?

It's the same right through all these 'Bascombe' threads. You're never going to get an honest debate because too many people are misquoting and using lines or sentences out of context to suite their own argument.

*sticks fingers in ears and sings 'LA LA LA LA LA LA LA' very loudly so I don't hear anyone else's opinion*

I wish they'd f*cking ban you. ;)

:thumbsup:

Seriously though, I wonder if people couldn't use more of this new found energy used bashing Bascombe in another way - e.g. trying to get the NOTW banned and then that we can all collectively round on Bascombe, Carra, Gerrard, Owen and hang them up from the KOP roof by their ball sacks.

:thumbsup:

Seriously though, I wonder if people couldn't use more of this new found energy used bashing Bascombe in another way - e.g. trying to get the NOTW banned and then that we can all collectively round on Bascombe, Carra, Gerrard, Owen and hang them up from the KOP roof by their ball sacks.

It's down to personal choice Rash, some Reds think it's the Sunday Sun and some don't. In mitigation I don't believe the link between the two "papers" was anything like as overt in April 1989 as it is today.

I do wonder however what would have happened had Hillsborough took place mid-week ("The Truth" appeared three days after the disaster as I recall). Again this is all conjecture/speculation.

Murf on RAOTL made an interesting observation though. This being that say we have another "Truth Day" (like against Arsenal in the Cup) will Chris be allowed to report it like he did when the initial one took place?

This bit?

How about this bit, the opening line:

"LIVERPOOL likes to describe itself as a radical city, but it isn't." Which minority is he referring to there Paul?

I don't even understand the point you're trying to make. I quoted a reference to people and you quoted a reference to the city. I presume you disagree with the point you quoted. If so, in what way do you consider Liverpool to be a radical city.

I cant believe the level of intelegence displayed by some people on this matter.

So you ban NOTW, why stop there and not ban the Times or ban everything that has the Murdock connection which in real terms means not going to anfield and not watching your team on TV.

Most level headed people want the devil paper banned until a full retraction and 5 pages of what they did wrong followed by a substantsial donation to the HJC and thats a very reasonable line to take.

But if you want to go for the NOTW then why stop there?

I cant believe the level of intelegence displayed by some people on this matter.

So you ban NOTW, why stop there and not ban the Times or ban everything that has the Murdock connection which in real terms means not going to anfield and not watching your team on TV.

Most level headed people want the devil paper banned until a full retraction and 5 pages of what they did wrong followed by a substantsial donation to the HJC and thats a very reasonable line to take.

But if you want to go for the NOTW then why stop there?

Oh f*ck off Nick. It has nothing to do with "intelegence" and everything to do with personal choice.

The last time I looked you were allowed to have an opinion.

I don't even understand the point you're trying to make. I quoted a reference to people and you quoted a reference to the city. I presume you disagree with the point you quoted. If so, in what way do you consider Liverpool to be a radical city.

I thought you were referring to the "Scouse Nation" comment Paul yet Hermes has applied the quote to in a totally different context.

Oh f*ck off Nick. It has nothing to do with "intelegence" and everything to do with personal choice.

The last time I looked you were allowed to have an opinion.

I get that Col, but Nick has a point. The boycott is place with the blessing of the support groups including the HJC and others and to my mind most people are boycotting the S*n in support of the HJC etc.

Most people also respect and acknowledge the links with The Times and other Murdoch institutions but don't boycott those because there isn't an 'official' boycott in place.

Those who have the 'opinion' that the NOTW should be boycotted should spend their time petitioning the support groups to get that in place. In all my years supporting LFC I have never had anyone ask me to boycott the NOTW.

I get that Col, but Nick has a point. The boycott is place with the blessing of the support groups including the HJC and others and to my mind most people are boycotting the S*n in support of the HJC etc.

Most people also respect and acknowledge the links with The Times and other Murdoch institutions but don't boycott those because there isn't an 'official' boycott in place.

Those who have the 'opinion' that the NOTW should be boycotted should spend their time petitioning the support groups to get that in place. In all my years supporting LFC I have never had anyone ask me to boycott the NOTW.

Why should a personal choice need permission from the HJC?

I suspect that if you asked the people at the forefront of the HJC to give their opinion on the NotW you might be surprised. The feedback I received from one of the people involved was that they considered the NotW to be the Sunday Sun.

The link between the two papers was nowhere near as strong as it is today. It is my opinion that had the disaster took place during the last couple of years then the boycott would have probably covered both papers.

The people who criticised him for his move were not all from Liverpool, they didn't print their postcodes or state their birthplace. Yet he chooses to launch his defence of his move with reference to "scouse law" and "superscouse superiors". Why didn't he refer to his critics instead of directing his diatribe at the city and it's people, most of whom have probably never heard of him never mind threatened him.

Now do you understand?

So why would you boycott the NOTW and not The Times or Sunday Times?

Is someone gonna answer this one because it's been asked about a million times and nobody has.

Let's throw Sky, 20th Century Fox, MySpace and HarperCollins into the mix too, since they're also Murdoch assets.

The people who criticised him for his move were not all from Liverpool, they didn't print their postcodes or state their birthplace. Yet he chooses to launch his defence of his move with reference to "scouse law" and "superscouse superiors". Why didn't he refer to his critics instead of directing his diatribe at the city and it's people, most of whom have probably never heard of him never mind threatened him.

Now do you understand?

I refer you back to my original reply. He specifically makes the point that he's only talking about a minority in Liverpool. He's also writing generally about a minority mindset in Liverpool, rather than specifically about this issue (although it's clear that that's what prompted him to write).

Is someone gonna answer this one because it's been asked about a million times and nobody has.

Let's throw Sky, 20th Century Fox, MySpace and HarperCollins into the mix too, since they're also Murdoch assets.

I think the problem is there isnt really a sensible coherent and logical answer to that question and anyone trying to justify such a line would leave themselves open to ridicule

So why would you boycott the NOTW and not The Times or Sunday Times?

Because in my opinion The Times is not the sister paper of The Sun. The Times also didn't print "The Truth".

It shares none of The Sun/News of the Worlds values and it's reporting is more fact-based. The only thing they have in common is Murdoch owns them. If you can't see that then I can't be bothered explaining it further.

Maybe the people at QVC should quit their jobs because Murdoch part-owns them too as I recall.

Because in my opinion The Times is not the sister paper of The Sun. The Times also didn't print "The Truth".

It shares none of The Sun/News of the Worlds values and it's reporting is more fact-based. The only thing they have in common is Murdoch owns them. If you can't see that then I can't be bothered explaining it further.

Maybe the people at QVC should quit their jobs because Murdoch part-owns them too as I recall.

NotW didn't print the truth either because MacKenzie wasn't the editor.