You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Voronin's Goal V Derby

Faustus

Not sure if I'm the only one who felt this, but for me, Voronin's goal was the one that pleased me most.

It's exactly the type of chance we hadn't been taking last year and the year after- whereby the keeper parries an original shot and possibly due to a lack of instinct, intelligence or movement, our strikers failed to capitalise. It's no secret that missed chances were part of the reason we finished so many points of top spot last year as the number of games we got nothing from when we should have easily won was staggering.

Regularly taking scrappy chances like the one Voronin did on Saturday can easily be the difference between a point and three and as I said, it was the most pleasing goal for me seeing as they were the tap we have regularly failed to convert in the last few seasons.

The fact that we were 4-0 up at the time was a further source of pleasure for me, due to us not being content with simply settling with what we've got and seeing the game out.

I also like Torres' first goal. Dave Usher said it in the match report, but it bears repeating. When Torres got the ball it was not really a chance. His pace and clever running with the ball took him past the defenders and he coolly slotted it in the corner with his left foot.

He made it look simple in the end, but his own supreme skills got him to the point where he could shoot without hindrance from the defenders. They were left in his wake; though to be fair, better defenders will suffer the same fate this season.

I also like Torres' first goal. Dave Usher said it in the match report, but it bears repeating. When Torres got the ball it was not really a chance. His pace and clever running with the ball took him past the defenders and he coolly slotted it in the corner with his left foot.

He made it look simple in the end, but his own supreme skills got him to the point where he could shoot without hindrance from the defenders. They were left in his wake; though to be fair, better defenders will suffer the same fate this season.

Reminded me of Robbies goal in the UEFA cup final.

The pace for his second was excellent too. He had actually slowed down and then realised the defender had made a mistake and he was off again. Lovely player to watch. Babel putting those players on their arses was superb too.

Not sure if I'm the only one who felt this, but for me, Voronin's goal was the one that pleased me most.

It's exactly the type of chance we hadn't been taking last year and the year after- whereby the keeper parries an original shot and possibly due to a lack of instinct, intelligence or movement, our strikers failed to capitalise. It's no secret that missed chances were part of the reason we finished so many points of top spot last year as the number of games we got nothing from when we should have easily won was staggering.

Regularly taking scrappy chances like the one Voronin did on Saturday can easily be the difference between a point and three and as I said, it was the most pleasing goal for me seeing as they were the tap we have regularly failed to convert in the last few seasons.

The fact that we were 4-0 up at the time was a further source of pleasure for me, due to us not being content with simply settling with what we've got and seeing the game out.

Very good point.

That kind of killer instinct and ability to "smell" the chances in front of goal have been sorely missed.

He made it look simple in the end, but his own supreme skills got him to the point where he could shoot without hindrance from the defenders.

You could say the exact same thing about his last goal.

They were left in his wake; though to be fair, better defenders will suffer the same fate this season.

They already have, against Chelsea. He left Ben Haim for dead with his acceleration.

Babels was lovely to watch. To do a Beardsley style dummy and put a defender on the floor is great but to do it to two and then give the goalie the eye is just majestic. A great great debut goal.

Torres first was ace as well as it showed our hunger which is evident this year. Nobody will be looking forward to playing us this year.

The thing that most pleased me about Saturday (the result and scoreline aside) was the quality of football. We played some lovely stuff all over the pitch. However, unlike the last time we played nice football under Evans, this is direct, aggressive and purposeful stuff. I said before the start of the season that the two things I wanted the most from '07-'08 were a genuine title challenge and better attacking football. It seems to have started well on both fronts.

The thing that most pleased me about Saturday (the result and scoreline aside) was the quality of football. We played some lovely stuff all over the pitch. However, unlike the last time we played nice football under Evans, this is direct, aggressive and purposeful stuff. I said before the start of the season that the two things I wanted the most from '07-'08 were a genuine title challenge and better attacking football. It seems to have started well on both fronts.

I liked the way we went at them. At 3-0 the game was well and truly over and we could have made a few subs and gone into cruise control but like Rafa has said every player is on their toes and they all want to prove their worth to the team.

Its this hunger for a place in the team which suddenly has people saying how good it is for Rafa to rotate as it keeps players giving extra as they want to stay in the team.

I know it was only Derby and i will be amazed if they dont get relegated but some of our football was a joy to watch.

We have players all over the pitch now who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Players such as Agger and Arbeloa both prefer to play the ball along the ground or to pass it to the midfield. All of our midfield like the ball to feet and now upfront with the introduction of Torres and Voronin to the strikerforce we have strikers who want the ball on the floor for them to run at the defence instead of chasing long balls.

Its hard to try and keep the euphoria of been at the top and looking strong down but so far im really enjoying how this season has started and other then Rob Styles fuck up it would have been the perfect start.

When i look at the fixtures we have compared to other top teams and during September there is no reason why we cant remain at the top and even open up a lead over the chasing pack as they have to drop points due to playing each other.

Slightly off at a tangent I know but I was reading the 442 magazine pre season preview and the person who wrote the LFC input when asked something like 'who is the player you would most like to get rid of?' put something like 'I would pay Voronin's taxi fare back'. Makes me embarrassed that someone so thick and media driven is a LFC fan - probably someone from the same school of thought that says that Stevie G is our only good player!! I mean at least watch Voro play before you pass comment you fool!! (or words to that effect!!). I think if you asked most LFC fans now they would say that they are very glad that Mr Voronin is on our books ........ and the same could be said for our other 3 major signings this summer (Yossi, Torres and Babel). I'd say it was perhaps our best summer ever for signings?

BTW in the same 442 article Paul Anderson was menitoned as being someone who may break through this season ...... hasn't anyone told him that he is away on loan!!

Went to see Valencia play in 2004 at the Mestalla. They trounced Mallorca with some of the most breathtaking football me and my mates (2 reds, 2 blues) had ever seen. The 5th goal of a 5-1 win still ranks as one of the finest goals I've ever seen live. From the edge of their own penalty box to the edge of Mallorca's in about 5 one touch passes finished by a header.

At 5-0 Rafa threw on Aimar.

He's not a defensive coach, never has been and I'm starting to think that we will see the REAL Rafael Benitez this season. The one who doesn't take shit from journo's, the one who can talk up his side because the squad that can back up his words and the one who doesn't want to shut up shop at 2-0 but to go out and score as many as possible.

This could be an interesting season............

Went to see Valencia play in 2004 at the Mestalla. They trounced Mallorca with some of the most breathtaking football me and my mates (2 reds, 2 blues) had ever seen. The 5th goal of a 5-1 win still ranks as one of the finest goals I've ever seen live. From the edge of their own penalty box to the edge of Mallorca's in about 5 one touch passes finished by a header.

At 5-0 Rafa threw on Aimar.

He's not a defensive coach, never has been and I'm starting to think that we will see the REAL Rafael Benitez this season. The one who doesn't take shit from journo's, the one who can talk up his side because the squad that can back up his words and the one who doesn't want to shut up shop at 2-0 but to go out and score as many as possible.

This could be an interesting season............

Christ I hope so. That's what kept me believing for so long, but last season sapped my faith. Not in him, you understand, but that we'd ever manage to have the quality of players to produce what he really wants. I so fucking hope we now have.