You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Platini

Christianlfc

He comes across a petty and small minded. If he wants to be a statesman in the game, he should:

1. Think before he speaks

2. Limit his comments to a couple of well thought out issues

At the moment he is adopting a scattergun approach, and consequently the more pronouncements he makes, the more obscure he becomes. Very soon (if not already) people will think, "What's Platini blathering on about now?!"

A great attacking midfielder in his day. Erm, that's about it.

I would prefer:

1. Shut up

I hope the FA cup/champions league place idea gets blown out the water by G14.

Platini blatently hates us and wants that 4th place gone so we wont be in it, but he's got a shock coming to him as were ace.

you know I think his idea is to make it easier for the champs of italy/spain to win the competition, how dare a 4th placed team from England beat them

if they water it down like he wants you get the chance of the champs of italy/spain facing a crapper team in a knockout stage and if there's more Sparta Prague's and assuming they can get out of their groups it's only a matter of time until they come up against the Champs or runners up of Spain or Italy and get spanked

would like to know what Wenger and Arsenal think as they have used the 4th place as a route for qualification, isnt he mates with Platini and can't he have a word? also the sponsors need to take action and tell them that it will dilute the quality of the competition

What made me laugh was when the interviewer asked him what he would do about it.

The dumb bastard just fell over his words as he didn't have a clue what to say next. He finally manged to say something along the lines of "It's an English problem".

He thought he could drop these snide comments and disappear back under his rock. Pity he chose to be interviewed by a Birt reporter who has yet to hand his bollocks to the director!

The Norwegian commentator at the draw just said Platini has said he wants the CL final played at a weekend to attract families.

Good job that Michel, we might able to fill the stadium then.

He's probably lined up toys 'r' us a sponsor and plans to give them 2,000 tickets as a welcome gift into the European family.

From today's Echo:

No repeat of Athens fiasco says UEFA boss

Aug 31 2007 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

MICHEL PLATINI has promised Liverpool fans they will never suffer a repeat of the nightmare they endured in Athens.

The new UEFA chief has unveiled a radical overhaul of the Champions League which he hopes to push through.

His changes include:

* The final to be staged on a Saturday night from 2009.

* Only the biggest, most modern stadia to be used for finals from 2010.

* 75 per cent of tickets going to ‘real’ fans.

* The FA Cup winners to qualify for the Champions League from next season.

Premier League chairman Dave Richards is bitterly opposed to the FA Cup proposal and walked out of yesterday’s conference.

The Olympic Stadium in Athens had a capacity of just 63,000 and Liverpool were handed an official allocation of only 17,000 for the game with AC Milan.

But Platini said: “I would like to see 75 per cent of the stadium being reserved for fans. I also want the final to be in a big modern stadium with a capacity of 75,000.

“After what happened in Athens I would also like to see the final played on a Saturday night. I was very disappointed that there were no children there and if the game was played at a weekend they would be able to get there without worrying about school.”

Platini unveiled the plans to UEFA’s Professional Football Strategy Council in Monaco, provoking anger and indignation from Richards.

While Platini agreed to let the leagues and clubs come back with a response, he pledged to railroad the new measures through in November.

Platini added: “I want to see Cup winners rewarded. This will add to the interest in and enhance the domestic cups. I feel that is more worthy of a place than finishing fourth in the Premier League.”

Under Platini’s proposals, England, Spain and Italy will have three teams qualify automatically for the Champions League group stage via their domestic league. The champions of Europe’s leading 12 countries would be guaranteed a place in the group phase.

The top 16 countries, including England and Scotland, would have domestic cup winners entering a qualifying competition with four group stage places up for grabs.

Platini also wants the UEFA Cup changed to a similar format as the Champions League, with the Intertoto Cup scrapped.

He went on: “We need to ensure football is more balanced so that the rich do not become much richer.

“If another proposal is better than my philosophy that’s fine but I doubt they’ll come up with something better.

From today's Echo:

No repeat of Athens fiasco says UEFA boss

Aug 31 2007 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

MICHEL PLATINI has promised Liverpool fans they will never suffer a repeat of the nightmare they endured in Athens.

The new UEFA chief has unveiled a radical overhaul of the Champions League which he hopes to push through.

His changes include:

* The final to be staged on a Saturday night from 2009.

* Only the biggest, most modern stadia to be used for finals from 2010.

* 75 per cent of tickets going to ‘real’ fans.

* The FA Cup winners to qualify for the Champions League from next season.

Premier League chairman Dave Richards is bitterly opposed to the FA Cup proposal and walked out of yesterday’s conference.

The Olympic Stadium in Athens had a capacity of just 63,000 and Liverpool were handed an official allocation of only 17,000 for the game with AC Milan.

But Platini said: “I would like to see 75 per cent of the stadium being reserved for fans. I also want the final to be in a big modern stadium with a capacity of 75,000.

“After what happened in Athens I would also like to see the final played on a Saturday night. I was very disappointed that there were no children there and if the game was played at a weekend they would be able to get there without worrying about school.”

Platini unveiled the plans to UEFA’s Professional Football Strategy Council in Monaco, provoking anger and indignation from Richards.

While Platini agreed to let the leagues and clubs come back with a response, he pledged to railroad the new measures through in November.

Platini added: “I want to see Cup winners rewarded. This will add to the interest in and enhance the domestic cups. I feel that is more worthy of a place than finishing fourth in the Premier League.”

Under Platini’s proposals, England, Spain and Italy will have three teams qualify automatically for the Champions League group stage via their domestic league. The champions of Europe’s leading 12 countries would be guaranteed a place in the group phase.

The top 16 countries, including England and Scotland, would have domestic cup winners entering a qualifying competition with four group stage places up for grabs.

Platini also wants the UEFA Cup changed to a similar format as the Champions League, with the Intertoto Cup scrapped.

He went on: “We need to ensure football is more balanced so that the rich do not become much richer.

“If another proposal is better than my philosophy that’s fine but I doubt they’ll come up with something better.

Apart from the Cup Winners going into a mini qualifying tournament, I don't see much wrong with them proposals.

Although, I'm a bit sceptical about his reasons for playing on a Saturday evening as I can't believe he's doing it for the kids. Isn't that peak time for advertising revenue?

I think he's got a point about foreign ownership. It's a real shame that - like with far too much of British industry - football seems to require foreign ownership to achieve success.

Despite that principle, it seems the way of things in this country these days so I'm happy that our foreign ownership has gone so well.

Also, I would have no problem with FA cup winners having a route into the Champions League because it's nothing of the kind as it is. It would give the biggest domestic cup competition a new superb and exciting edge to it. As England at the moment have 4 places, I would have the top 3 and the cup winners going forward. It would also give the best teams more drive to perform in the league.:thumbup:

if the FA Cup winners are already in the top 3 and have qualified for the champs league do England lose a CL place? I think that's what the proposal is

he is also proposing to have 6 of the LOWEST ranked 'champions' in the competition at the expense of decent sides, 40 of them will play knock out rounds against each other I think and 6 will get a guaranteed place, jesus christ.

that will mean some awful sides in the group stages who will mostly get battered and finish bottom at the expense of DECENT sides who might make the competition more interesting.

whatever way you look at it Platini will devalue the competition and I hope the sponsors and tv companies point this out

I really think he's trying to make it easier for the top 2 italian and spanish teams to win the competition by giving them more cannon fodder and eliminating 'upstarts' from England, Portugal, etc