You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Platini

Christianlfc

The cunts at it again

Michael Platini has launched a surprising attack on the foreign ownership of English football clubs.

Platini, the president of Uefa, has revealed his dislike for the increasing foreign investment in the Premier League.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa are among a number of top flight clubs who have been taken over by owners from abroad and Platini insists that something must be done.

"I can't understand how so many English clubs are owned by foreign people," Platini told Sky Sports News.

Identity

"I think we can do something. I don't know why Americans come to buy some clubs. You need your identity.

"I can't understand why some English clubs are owned by Americans because they do not come for the beauty of the game, for the romance of the football in England.

"They come because they want to make money. We need to defend that.

"If you have Manchester against Liverpool it is part of the population of the cities.

"But now if you have an owner from America against an owner from Russia, I don't like it."

The cunts at it again

Michael Platini has launched a surprising attack on the foreign ownership of English football clubs.

Platini, the president of Uefa, has revealed his dislike for the increasing foreign investment in the Premier League.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa are among a number of top flight clubs who have been taken over by owners from abroad and Platini insists that something must be done.

"I can't understand how so many English clubs are owned by foreign people," Platini told Sky Sports News.

Identity

"I think we can do something. I don't know why Americans come to buy some clubs. You need your identity.

"I can't understand why some English clubs are owned by Americans because they do not come for the beauty of the game, for the romance of the football in England.

"If you have Manchester against Liverpool it is part of the population of the cities.

"But now if you have an owner from America against an owner from Russia, I don't like it."

No, you can't. It's called the EEC, you small man. This reads like, "English clubs are back at the top, I hate them so much, I will do all I can to try and stop it. Moreover, I'll try to wrap it up in a way that makes me look like I care, despite the fact that I'm a bitter little fuck of a small man on a crusade."

Toulouse a top team in France.......?

Hell, I´d take the british foreign ownership model anyday, as the French were outclassed yesterday, and went home after a lecture in the beautiful game of of football......

Could this have something to do with the twat´s outburst?

UEFA president Michel Platini is expected to confirm tomorrow the details of his plans to open up the Champions League to wider competition, specifically by giving domestic cup winners an opportunity to make it into the 32-team group phase.

It is understood that his plans would have 16 cup winners from Europe's leading countries in a qualifying competition for four places in the group stage of the Champions League. This qualifying event would be run in parallel to a qualifying competition based on domestic league positions for 12 other places, to join the 16 teams who qualify automatically.

Platini will unveil his proposals to the new Professional Football Strategy Council in Monaco tomorrow. The body is made up of representatives from UEFA, the European leagues, the clubs and the players' unions but is a consultative body so even if - as is likely - there is some fierce opposition from the leagues, they cannot veto the plans.

The ideas will then go forward to UEFA's executive committee meeting in Istanbul on September 27 for a decision.

UEFA general secretary David Taylor said: "The competition is the ultimate stage for European club football and we are looking at the access list arrangements to see if we can improve the qualifying routes which might allow the opportunity to broaden the geographic spread of this competition.

"We are having a big discussion about this at the Professional Football strategy board tomorrow. The idea is that winners qualify for competitions and that's a good principle."

Taylor also made it clear that only cup winners would be allowed to enter the Champions League qualifying process - currently runners-up can go into the UEFA Cup if the winners have already qualified through their league.

Under the proposals, if as happened in England last season when Chelsea were FA Cup winners and had already qualified automatically then the fourth-placed side - in this case Arsenal - would have to try to qualify through the 'cup route'.

---

what a pile of shite

UEFA president Michel Platini is expected to confirm tomorrow the details of his plans to open up the Champions League to wider competition, specifically by giving domestic cup winners an opportunity to make it into the 32-team group phase.

It is understood that his plans would have 16 cup winners from Europe's leading countries in a qualifying competition for four places in the group stage of the Champions League. This qualifying event would be run in parallel to a qualifying competition based on domestic league positions for 12 other places, to join the 16 teams who qualify automatically.

Platini will unveil his proposals to the new Professional Football Strategy Council in Monaco tomorrow. The body is made up of representatives from UEFA, the European leagues, the clubs and the players' unions but is a consultative body so even if - as is likely - there is some fierce opposition from the leagues, they cannot veto the plans.

The ideas will then go forward to UEFA's executive committee meeting in Istanbul on September 27 for a decision.

UEFA general secretary David Taylor said: "The competition is the ultimate stage for European club football and we are looking at the access list arrangements to see if we can improve the qualifying routes which might allow the opportunity to broaden the geographic spread of this competition.

"We are having a big discussion about this at the Professional Football strategy board tomorrow. The idea is that winners qualify for competitions and that's a good principle."

Taylor also made it clear that only cup winners would be allowed to enter the Champions League qualifying process - currently runners-up can go into the UEFA Cup if the winners have already qualified through their league.

Under the proposals, if as happened in England last season when Chelsea were FA Cup winners and had already qualified automatically then the fourth-placed side - in this case Arsenal - would have to try to qualify through the 'cup route'.

---

what a pile of shite

And if this comes into effect that will be the first day of the European Superleague for sure.....

Identity

That's true, except for one little bit....

just one word...in the first sentence...

'surprising'

The general populace of UEFA should be very worried about the crap Platini's spouting, but of course they won't be, motivated as they are by the misguided ideal that everyone in the game sees internationals as its pinnacle, thinking they can use their control over the European international scene as a stick to beat national FAs with.

What they don't realise is the G14 clubs don't give the slightest airborne fuck about internationals, especially in light of the money involved in the CL, and wouldn't fire an optic nerve, nevermind twitch an eyelid, at the threat of their constituent FAs being ostracized from international competition. What's the english FA going to do if the biggest clubs decide to fuck the premiership off and start their own league? Sky will clearly jump ship themselves, considering the comparative income they must receive from Sunday 4pm games involving the top teams, when compared to Derby vs. Fulham on a Monday night.

It's very shit that it should come to that, but I can see it being a worst-case scenario if UEFA keep along this track and risk the financial stability of the biggest clubs who have made long term financial plans on qualifying for the CL more often than not. If I remember correctly, Arsenal are totally fucked if they miss out on a regular basis, considering the debts they've incrued building the Emirates.

On a side note, that rant by Platini stinks of French anti-americanism - "I don't know why Americans come to buy some clubs?", as well as his hatred of LFC, and possibly (although for someone of his position you would hope not!), our utter twatting of the 3rd place French team making a mockery of his shite new plans! Gayname Platini and William Gaynard - Where were you / UEFA when Eniac, Al Fayed, Abramovich, Mandaric, Romanov at Hearts etc. were buying into and disturbing the financial landscape of British football, forcing other clubs to react in turn?! Microphone-headed walking talking dildo fuck!

The G14 will kick Platini's stupid plans into touch. The champions league is for the CHAMPIONS, and for members of G14 only. No fucking FA Cup winners should be given admittance.

Uefa got rid of the European Cup Winners' Cup because it was shit (there's a reason it's the only european trophy we've never won, and the only one everton have won).

The Uefa cup is going that way because it has 4-5th placed teams and CUP WINNERS in it.

So why would they want to come up with a reason to put cup winners into the Champions League?

The French have a real problem with the fact that it was the Americans and ourselves who liberated their country.

To be fair, though, we didn't do it out of the kindness of our hearts. I'd rather wreck someone else's country having a fight than my own.

Why the hell does Platini keep making pronouncements on things he has absolutely no control over and no hope of ever getting any control over? Is he deliberately trying to make himself look weak and ineffective?

He comes across a petty and small minded. If he wants to be a statesman in the game, he should:

1. Think before he speaks

2. Limit his comments to a couple of well thought out issues

At the moment he is adopting a scattergun approach, and consequently the more pronouncements he makes, the more obscure he becomes. Very soon (if not already) people will think, "What's Platini blathering on about now?!"

A great attacking midfielder in his day. Erm, that's about it.

He comes across a petty and small minded. If he wants to be a statesman in the game, he should:

1. Think before he speaks

2. Limit his comments to a couple of well thought out issues

At the moment he is adopting a scattergun approach, and consequently the more pronouncements he makes, the more obscure he becomes. Very soon (if not already) people will think, "What's Platini blathering on about now?!"

A great attacking midfielder in his day. Erm, that's about it.

He also said our 5-0 demolition of Forest was ace and pronounced Beardsley in a very, very, very French manner - which made me laugh.