You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Economics for idiots

Spy Bee

3 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Those quotes show that he's calling for much higher taxes when you have specifically accused him of calling for tax cuts.

2 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

When you say someone "opposes tax increases", then the "all" is implied. That's not porkies, it's how English works.

And if someone says he opposes specific tax proposals because they don't raise enough revenue, you can disagree with him on whether or not they do raise enough revenue, but it's not subjective to challenge him on his motives.

Two complete fabrications. You can equivocate all you want, it's there for everyone to see.

Just now, Duff Man said:

Two complete fabrications. You can equivocate all you want, it's there for everyone to see.

The first one I said was a mistype, and it didn't remotely alter the point I was making. The second one is not remotely fabricated - you gave Gates as an example of someone who was against tax increases. Yes, it's there for everyone to see, and a good job too.

So you're not going to give me any of the examples I asked for? You're not going to support your assertion that "the super rich are almost always against raising taxes, but can't wait to tell you about their new foundation"?

I wonder where anybody could get the impression that the 100x billionaire founder of Microsoft and ceo of an “investment conglomerate” would be iffy about paying taxes? In spite of any public statements attesting to his altruistic nature 

1 minute ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

So you're not going to give me any of the examples I asked for? You're not going to support your assertion that "the super rich are almost always against raising taxes, but can't wait to tell you about their new foundation"?

I already have. But again, I'm not going to have a discussion with somebody who fabricates things.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

I already have. But again, I'm not going to have a discussion with somebody who fabricates things.

I've not fabricated anything. And the only example you gave was Bill Gates, who, we've established, thinks he should pay more tax, not less. Where are these other examples?

This is just weird.

3 minutes ago, moof said:

I wonder where anybody could get the impression that the 100x billionaire founder of Microsoft and ceo of an “investment conglomerate” would be iffy about paying taxes? In spite of any public statements attesting to his altruistic nature 

Fantasists gonna fantasise.

1 minute ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I've not fabricated anything. And the only example you gave was Bill Gates, who, we've established, thinks he should pay more tax, not less. Where are these other examples?

This is just weird.

You've just done it again, right there. Something wrong with you mate.

6 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

This is just weird.

That's just completely untrue, and when you have it pointed to you, you just say "erm, no". And when you have your fabricated quotes presented to you, you say they're not fabricated. It's like talking to a child.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, moof said:

Examples of... billionaires who are against higher taxes? Have you had a bump to the head?

Examples of "the super rich [who] are almost always against raising taxes, but can't wait to tell you about their new foundation".

I don't think it's me who needs my head testing.

Just now, Duff Man said:

That's just completely untrue, and when you have it pointed to you, you just say "erm, no". And when you have your fabricated quotes presented to you, you say they're not fabricated. It's like talking to a child.

Keep on denying reality, this is great. I hope people are reading the thread rather than just relying on your nonsense.

You ready to provide any examples yet? 

2 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Examples of "the super rich [who] are almost always against raising taxes, but can't wait to tell you about their new foundation".

I don't think it's me who needs my head testing.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe 

24 minutes ago, moof said:

I don't see how Bill Gates paying more taxes would have a beneficial effect. The extra money he'd be paying would go to the military industrial complex, limiting abortion rights, big pharma, gun lobbies and tax loopholes for the super rich.

He's much better off doing what he's currently doing, ie giving his money away to real causes like providing drinking water for Africans and all the humanitarian work he does around the world. 

13 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

This is just weird.

Again, just completely untrue. It's insane that you accuse other people of denying reality, when it's literally what you're doing right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Again, just completely untrue. It's insane that you accuse other people of denying reality, when it's literally what you're doing right now.

Since you keep falsely accusing me of making up quotes, I'm just going to directly quote you from now on:

10 hours ago, Duff Man said:

It's really weird that the super rich are almost always against raising taxes, but can't wait to tell you about their new foundation. It's a real mystery.

Got any examples yet? Shouldn't be hard to find, since they're "almost always against raising taxes".