You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This is also a fucking huge tune. The Just Blaze beat is fucking superb (How many great beats has he put out? Right up there with the likes of Dilla and Pete Rock for me.), but some of the rhyming is fucking unbelievable. Listen to how he plays around with his name at about 3.10 mins. Incredible. Also got to love all the name checking he does of all his legendary mates.

Jay Electronica - Exhibit C

[YOUTUBE]Jc09HB7nEbA[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

This is also a fucking huge tune. The Just Blaze beat is fucking superb (How many great beats has he put out? Right up there with the likes of Dilla and Pete Rock for me.), but some of the rhyming is fucking unbelievable. Listen to how he plays around with his name at about 3.10 mins. Incredible. Also got to love all the name checking he does of all his legendary mates.

[YOUTUBE]Jc09HB7nEbA[/YOUTUBE]

That's ace. I totally agree about Just Blaze, I love him. He reminds me of Primo in that he has a total signature sound (unlike Dilla whose sound was all over the place), and he amazes me that he gets so much mileage out of it. I was just looking at his discography, and I do have to say that I'd like him to be a little more selective with his projects. I'd love him to produce an entire, raw album for someone, whether it be an established or unknown artist.

• 3 weeks later...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnsndryvNo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnsndryvNo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Massive tune from last year finally up on YouTube. Deffo one of those you really need to hear out to fully appreciate, but it's still ace here. Long as fuck, but great.

LCD Soundsystem - 45:33 (Theo Parrish's Space Cadet Mix)

[YOUTUBE]vSH_5VZdD4k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

I'm amazed at how much I like Heligoland, I really wasn't expecting to. We were supposed to get a review copy of Gil Scott-Heron and it never showed up. Bastards.

I'm off next week so I'll try and knock something together if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Jay Electronica interviewed on Gilles Peterson this week. He is one talented individual - and individual is the word. He's nothing like anyone else in music, never mind hip hop. He stayed at the YMCA in Camden last week when he was over to play the Jazz Cafe simply because he thought it'd be a good way to meet interesting people! It's well worth checking out musically too:

BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Gilles Peterson, Jay Electronica in conversation

Edited by Paul

Not sure if this fits into the grand scheme of things here, but how about Brian Eno's Force Marker? If you've seen the movie, you know the scene.

Brian Eno - Force Marker

[YOUTUBE]Kk1UxAb_3R0[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Jay Electronica interviewed on Gilles Peterson this week. He is one talented individual - and individual is the word. He's nothing like anyone else is music, never mind hip hop. He stayed at the YMCA in Camden last week when he was over to play the Jazz Cafe simply because he thought it'd be a good way to meet interesting people! It's well worth checking out musically too:

BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Gilles Peterson, Jay Electronica in conversation

He brought two new tracks by his missus with him, too and the second one sounds like the best thing she's done in years: Erykah Badu - Don't B Long.

Found this from his show last week. He's wearing a sharp suit with a tie, shares drinks with members of the audience and takes someone's camera from him to film the crowd and himself from the stage before passing it back. He does loads of Dilla tributes and acapellas, too. Not your average hip hop show (mind you, this is the bloke that just gives his music away free to obscure websites and forums):

[YOUTUBE]V4R8lnER6IU[/YOUTUBE]

He lets a lad get up out of the crowd to freestyle over Donuts beats on this one and then makes Gilles publicly promise, in front of the crowd, to give the lad some airtime on his Radio 1 show:

[YOUTUBE]ZFKbXWGptbI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Going to see Mayer Hawthorne with Christian in London Uni on the 25th of May. Got myself a week off as well to spend down South again. Get in!

Nice one.

By the way, fair play on the moonlighting - I see you're the writer of the new series of True Blood: Alexander Woo. Job's a good 'un.

He brought two new tracks by his missus with him, too and the second one sounds like the best thing she's done in years: Erykah Badu - Don't B Long.

Tune.

Erykah Badu - Don't B Long

[YOUTUBE]1_4ot_RjtZE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

• 3 weeks later...

The new Adidas Originals advert reminded of this absolute fucking gem when I saw it at the flicks yesterday; soul-tastic, yo:

Dee Edwards - Why Can't There Be Love?

[YOUTUBE]vTgHO7W1III[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul