You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck me, this is a tune. I'd forgotten just how good it is. Gutted I never managed to grab a slice when it briefly appeared under the counter at Fat City several years ago. The guitar sample is sweet as fuck.

Radiohead - Climbing Up Walls (Zero 7 remix)

[YOUTUBE]YFmUZ74UD70[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Deep Shadows - Little Ann

[YOUTUBE]4TyQptC4i0g[/YOUTUBE]

Electric Wire Hustle - Perception

[YOUTUBE]vgVp6QZuIpM[/YOUTUBE]

Alicia Keys - Dreaming

[YOUTUBE]7Jm6KUQ18-A[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Superb mix from Shafiq Husayn of Sa Ra Creative Partners on Benji B this week. Future hip hop/soul madness, much of it their own productions, dubplates and whites. Check it out, it's fucking ace (starts about 90 minutes in):

BBC - BBC 1Xtra Programmes - Benji B - Soulful Beats, Benji B, Sa - Ra Creative partners, Midnight request line

Paul, have you ever thought about taking up the drums? There's some serious stuff on this thread.

Send me a pm next time you upload an Oxton soul mix tape (followed a link about a month ago and I was gutted to see it's was no longer being hosted).

This thread is a drummers paradise. Keep up the good work.

Paul, have you ever thought about taking up the drums? There's some serious stuff on this thread.

Send me a pm next time you upload an Oxton soul mix tape (followed a link about a month ago and I was gutted to see it's was no longer being hosted).

This thread is a drummers paradise. Keep up the good work.

Will do mate. As for the drums, I've never played, but like many beat obsessives, I often wander round hitting things as fast and as rhythmically as possible. As for the mixes - will do. I'm intending to put them on Soundcloud soon where they'll stay permanently, so I'll let you know.

Some modern soul, boogie, disco and funk classics (courtesy of Mr Scruff's supremely tasteful ears):

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love

[YOUTUBE]BamX6vpavro[/YOUTUBE]

Sandra Wright - I'll Come Running Back

[YOUTUBE]1G0TFaO_vdk[/YOUTUBE]

Gloria Scott - That's What you Say

[YOUTUBE]OHseyYWCpd0[/YOUTUBE]

Wayne Carter - Wahoo, Wahoo, Wahoo

[YOUTUBE]YFSeolrmc5M[/YOUTUBE]

Donna McGhee - Mr Blindman

[YOUTUBE]cavKeC3FwCE[/YOUTUBE]

Ray Frazier & The Shades of Madness - Gonna Get your Love

[YOUTUBE]R--bKmTGMkE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Superb future disco on Deviation this week with Moxie 12 by Chow Daddy at about 20 minutes in. Check it out (and while you're at it, give Chico Hamilton's The Morning Side Of Love a whirl - it's fucking sublime soulful guitar solo-tastic; one of my favourite ever tunes):

BBC - BBC 1Xtra Programmes - Benji B - Soulful Beats

Finally on YouTube:

Chow Daddy - Never Fade

[YOUTUBE]48H-1ZhrvrE[/YOUTUBE]

And its source:

Ronnie Laws - Good Feelings

[YOUTUBE]Bw_xYBzob5o[/YOUTUBE]

Woo-hoo!!! Chico's on there now, too. Several birds with one stone:

Chico Hamilton - The Morning Side of Love

[YOUTUBE]XOhpjxejVlY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Excellent - another classic that's just appeared on YouTube (shame it's not louder - this needs to blast out of the speakers for the full effect of those horns and that percussion to be appreciated):

Ray Barretto - Right On

[YOUTUBE]tuhVUVxnSN4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Not sure if I've shared this anywhere before, but I'll stick it on here as I love it. I saw something on another thread the other day about the difference between singing and being a singer and how most big stars these days are technically accomplished but soulless. Well check this out: it's The RCDC Experiment (jazz/soul/hip hop fusion band led by the jazz pianist Robert Glasper). They're playing some tiny little club in the early hours and basically jamming and freestyling away to an audience that happens to include Beyoncé. They manage to drag her up on stage and she lets rip and blows the roof off the place as the band totally take the lead from her vocal with Glasper's Hammond building to a crescendo and Chris Dave knocking fuck out of the drums. Gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

[YOUTUBE]dur71QRV36M[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

Just uploaded a mix I did last month to SendSpace so I can let a mate have it and thought I'd stick it on here on the off-chance that anyone can be arsed having a listen. The mixing skills are of the wooden spoon and a bowl variety, I'm afraid; strictly no Kenwoods here. Still, I like the tunes, which represent the cream of a year's worth of purchases (I hardly ever get in the mix, these days), and it makes the babies bounce in the back of the Volvo, yo (as we say in Oxton). Hope a few of you like it:

Oxton Soul Magic July '09

1. Just Ain't Gonna Work Out - Mayer Hawthorne and the County

2. Mrs International - Method Man and Redman

3. Honey (DJ Day mix) - Eryka Badu

4. Maybe So, Maybe No - Mayer Hawthorne

5. Pigeon Hole - PPP

6. Serious Drug (Main Mix) - Wild Cookie

7. Simple, Timeless - Fertile Ground/Chico Hamilton

8. Let Me Show Ya - Jazzanova featuring Paul Randolph

9. Let's Go (It's Summertime) - James Reece

10. Meet Again - Mr Day

11. Mercy - The Third Degree

12. Fania Brothers Workout - Sir Jarvis

13. Let The Love - Bennson

14. Evening of Love - The Main Ingredient

15. Twice - Little Dragon

16. Find A Way - Carlos Nino and Miguel Atwood-Ferguson

17. Gettin' Up - Q-Tip

18. International Hustler - Connie Price and the Keystones featuring Percee P

19. Casa Bey - Mos Def

20. Mercy (Rapson Edit) - Marvin Gaye

Now up on Soundcloud for streaming or downloading:

http://soundcloud.com/oxton-soul-boy/oxton-soul-magic-july-2009

Brilliant! Was just going to ask you if you had something like this. All appreciated again!

I'm considering getting a Pro account for about twenty quid so I can stick all my mixes on there. If I do, I'll link them up for you.

I tell you what though, it's worth signing up for the free account because there's loads of stuff on there you can listen to. Many big name artists put up works in progress for people to listen to or mixes they want to share. Keep checking the hot list - there's plenty of good stuff available - and much of it from bedroom boffins. A Turkish lad called Onur is a case in point. He made maybe my tune of the year - an edit of William Devaughn's classic Be Thankful For What You've Got (covered by Massive Attack on Blue Lines). It is absolutely amazing:

William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What you've Got (Onur Engin Edit)

[YOUTUBE]KrR_OMXIg0g[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

I'm considering getting a Pro account for about twenty quid so I can stick all my mixes on there. If I do, I'll link them up for you.

I tell you what though, it's worth signing up for the free account because there's loads of stuff on there you can listen to. Many big name artists put up works in progress for people to listen to or mixes they want to share. Keep checking the hot list - there's plenty of good stuff available - and much of it from bedroom boffins. A Turkish lad called Onur is a case in point. He made maybe my tune of the year - an edit of William Devaughn's classic Be Thankful For What You've Got (covered by Massive Attack on Blue Lines). It is absolutely amazing:

Onur Engin - Be Thankful for What You've Got Edit - SoundCloud

Definitely will check that site out further thanks for that.

Also you may have already seen it, but not on the same level or the same idea as soundcloud really but this is a site I quite enjoy:

A simple way to share an online mix | 8tracks

Again it's just a site people put up playlists, not really personal mixes but just a colleciton of music the uploader chooses, I've found some good tracks on that too.

Definitely will check that site out further thanks for that.

Also you may have already seen it, but not on the same level or the same idea as soundcloud really but this is a site I quite enjoy:

A simple way to share an online mix | 8tracks

Again it's just a site people put up playlists, not really personal mixes but just a colleciton of music the uploader chooses, I've found some good tracks on that too.

Nice one. I've seen that before but had forgotten about it. I'll get it bookmarked.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Glasper with Bilal. This is soul/jazz heaven. What a voice. There's a shorter version but YouTube ain't got it. This is still sweet though.

The Robert Glasper Experiment feat Bilal - All Matter

[YOUTUBE]Iz274hVNj48[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Some of Benji's soulful selections from this week:

Great version of a great Barry White tune. Just takes a while to get properly going.

Kellee Patterson - I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby

[YOUTUBE]5OQCpxfm3hQ[/YOUTUBE]

Tune.

Jon Lucien - Would You Believe In Me

[YOUTUBE]Jh9WK_pPtY4[/YOUTUBE]

Chaka taking on the Vicky Anderson classic:

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Stop On By

[YOUTUBE]dGoHiWhWoo8[/YOUTUBE]

Might have put this on before but it bares repeat posting because it's genius. Even this early in his career, Michael Jackson's voice was unbelievable:

Michael Jackson - I Wanna Be Where You Are

[YOUTUBE]PYFe-Wjp3Ws[/YOUTUBE]

Instrumental funky soul on the harp from the great Dorothy Ashby:

Dorothy Ashby - The Windmills of Your Mind

[YOUTUBE]IaQ-c4QhJnk[/YOUTUBE]

More mellow soulful goodness for your ears:

Johnny Hammond - Can't We Smile

[YOUTUBE]kDQd8dlblFA[/YOUTUBE]

Erykah Badu's stuff fits right into the same vein:

Erykah Badu - Didn't Cha Know

[YOUTUBE]RyRcSnhoQdw[/YOUTUBE]

Sly showing his sneaky soul boy credentials with his choice of this for the Rocky soundtrack:

Bill Conti feat. DeEtta Little & Nelson Pigford - You Take My Heart Away

[YOUTUBE]-jKTakowgho[/YOUTUBE]

Great rare groove tune from Odyssey:

[YOUTUBE]GQP0AE5Kr84[/YOUTUBE]

Portuguese/Brazilian genius; just wish the full original was available on YouTube. This is still ace, though:

Canto de Ossanha - Vinícius de Moraes

[YOUTUBE]I7SGgf5vaNc[/YOUTUBE]

Another great voice:

Minnie Ripperton - Only When I'm Dreaming

[YOUTUBE]EoBBg1mQJds[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Paul