You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alright boys, good to see there're more of the dot-joiners out there, I didn't realise. Though I haven't bothered listening to GP's show since it went into the middle of the night.

Dingwalls in a couple of weeks...can't wait...sometimes London's the place to be...

Alright boys, good to see there're more of the dot-joiners out there, I didn't realise. Though I haven't bothered listening to GP's show since it went into the middle of the night.

Dingwalls in a couple of weeks...can't wait...sometimes London's the place to be...

Online listening is the way to go.

While I'm on this thread, I just stumbled across this week's Basement show on 1Xtra with Soul II Soul (Jazzie B and Caron Wheeler). Ignore their fucking weird banter and get into the tunes (especially James Mason at the end - fucking tune!!!):

Chaka Khan - I Know You, I Live You

Earth Wind and Fire - Fantasy (Blaze remix)

Stevie Wonder - Golden Lady

James Brown - People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul

Curtis Mayfield - What Is My Woman For?

Atlantic Starr - When Love Calls

Gary Barts - Music Is My Sanctuary

Michael Jackson - Rock With You

James Mason - Sweet Power Your Embrace

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/basement/?focuswin

If you like James Mason, check out "Rhythm of Life" (which is on the same LP as Sweet Power) blinding tune.

I mostly can't be arsed with online radio on demand - it's just a podcast really - I'd rather listen to mixes by mates to be honest. Radio should be radio.

If you like James Mason, check out "Rhythm of Life" (which is on the same LP as Sweet Power) blinding tune.

I mostly can't be arsed with online radio on demand - it's just a podcast really - I'd rather listen to mixes by mates to be honest. Radio should be radio.

There's an alright one above...

I haven't heard Rhythm of Life, but I Want Your Love by him is also fantastic.

Superb future disco on Deviation this week with Moxie 12 by Chow Daddy at about 20 minutes in. Check it out (and while you're at it, give Chico Hamilton's The Morning Side Of Love a whirl - it's fucking sublime soulful guitar solo-tastic; one of my favourite ever tunes):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/benjib/

Fuck me, that really is a tune. Anyone know anything about them or when the track is out?

Take It Back on a test pressing on Gilles this week at about 42 minutes in. Stay on it for Jay Z featuring El Michaels Affair (imagine an American High School band funked up with Jay Z over the top) followed by Guru and Slum Village.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/gillespeterson/index.shtml

It's also worth checking out the Janeiro Jarel/Dr Who Dat? stuff that follows for some mad soul and hip hop stuff.

fyi - "working" on a new lp out in 08 or 09.

Hope you find this useful coz it took me 15 hours to log on onto this page using my mum and dads fucking dial up connection!!!

He's headlining a show in London soon, according to the advert in the latest edition of HHC.

From what I can gather, the new Wu is severely shit. Can't wait for Ghostface though.

Picked up American Gangster by Jay Z over the weekend. Half of it is really poor, but the tracks that use 70s soul samples are ace, in particular Roc Boys (and the winner is). Also, the track with Nas, Success, is genius. It's a surefire equation that Jay Z + Hammond Organ = quality.

I've also got Percee P and the new Stones Throw compilation on their way. This thread has actually inspired me to start buying new hip hop again, so kudos to all..

From what I can gather, the new Wu is severely shit. Can't wait for Ghostface though.

Picked up American Gangster by Jay Z over the weekend. Half of it is really poor, but the tracks that use 70s soul samples are ace, in particular Roc Boys (and the winner is). Also, the track with Nas, Success, is genius. It's a surefire equation that Jay Z + Hammond Organ = quality.

I've also got Percee P and the new Stones Throw compilation on their way. This thread has actually inspired me to start buying new hip hop again, so kudos to all..

What can you gather, and where from? All the noises I'm hearing are EXTREMELY positive about it.

What can you gather, and where from? All the noises I'm hearing are EXTREMELY positive about it.

Just a mate who works for a label. He's a reliable source in himself, but he may have been fed duff information. I've been disappointed with most of the Wu's output over the last few years, though when I hear stuff like 9 Milli Bros on Fishscale I realise how amazing they still have the potential to be. I'd love you to be right. Do you like the single with the George Harrison 'interpolation'?

Just a mate who works for a label. He's a reliable source in himself, but he may have been fed duff information. I've been disappointed with most of the Wu's output over the last few years, though when I hear stuff like 9 Milli Bros on Fishscale I realise how amazing they still have the potential to be. I'd love you to be right. Do you like the single with the George Harrison 'interpolation'?

That's really grown on me, the ODB tribute is excellent too, both are on their Myspace.

That's really grown on me, the ODB tribute is excellent too, both are on their Myspace.

I really can't get into either of them. They're not awful, but for the most part when I think of the Wu that I love, it's stuff like Da Mystery of Chessboxin' and C.R.E.A.M., where Rza twisted piano and string samples to sound frankly terrifying. I quite liked a few tunes on Iron Flag, but as a collective I haven't really loved anything they've done since Forever, and even that was about forty minutes too long. Individually I think they've all put out some amazing stuff since then, particularly Gza and Ghostface, but I just can't quite get excited by new Wu stuff anymore. As I say, I really hope I'm wrong, as an on form Wu would shit on just about everything else out there.