You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just a little thread for those of us who appreciate stuff at the other end of the scale from the more popular (on here, at least) rock side of things.

So, to get us started, Gilles' show this week is a tribute to John Lucien and Max Roach who both died last week. It's jazz-tastic. Nice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/gillespeterson/index.shtml

Nice indeed. Not really much to add, though I am quite enjoying bits of the new Camp Lo LP. And I bought a J Dilla compilation which had a couple of really nice remixes of Brand New Heavies which I'd never heard before.

Which one? There's a plethora of stuff that's been released since he died (inevitably, I suppose).

It's called Jay Deelicious: the Delicious Vinyl Years 1995-1998

There's not that much on there thatI don't already have, but the Brand New Heavies tunes were a very pleasant surprise, as Acid Jazz has never really been my bag. I mainly bought it so I could review it for a job I am applying for, so it was nice that there were a few gems I'd never heard.

Madlib is headlining a Stones Throw night Dublin in October, should be ace. Mos Def is playing as part of the same festival.

Sounds ace. The only problem with Madlib is that he can be very, very leftfield sometimes. I mean, I'm all for leftfield, but he can disappear up his own arse in a fug of hydroponic smoke. I so want to get into Yesterday's New Quintet, but it's all just too much out there jazz for my taste. I lovee Quasimoto, Loot Pack and Jaylib, though.

Sounds ace. The only problem with Madlib is that he can be very, very leftfield sometimes. I mean, I'm all for leftfield, but he can disappear up his own arse in a fug of hydroponic smoke. I so want to get into Yesterday's New Quintet, but it's all just too much out there jazz for my taste. I lovee Quasimoto, Loot Pack and Jaylib, though.

Yeah, it's really only the Madlib, Quasimoto and Jaylib stuff I'm familiar with. Beat Konducta was fantastic, some of the best instrumental hip hop I've heard. Don't know why he left most pieces at under two minutes though.

Benji B is on a one-man mission to show the world that hip hop is still going strong away from all the commercial shite that almost killed it. New tunes from Black Milk and J Live to open the show and plenty more soulful delights later on. I especially love the Ta'Raach tune Baaaby that's on the new Fat City compilation Producer No. 1. It samples one of my favourite tunes, You're Welcome, Stop On By by Vicki Anderson (mother of Carleen, aunty of Jhelisa and wife of Bobby Bird).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/benjib/index.shtml

Anyone into that "West Landan, innit?" broken thing? I reckon it's very, very hit and miss, but some of it is fucking ace (the Bugz mix of Hold It Down by 4Hero and Loose Lips by Seiji spring to mind). Just past the hour mark on the above show, he drops a couple of tunes back to back that would be fucking mental in the club. Not what you'd call easy listening, but I'd love to hear them getting played out.

It's one of Gilles' Brownswood Basement shows on Worldwide this week. Basically that means he goes round to the terrace house he uses to keep his record collection in and digs out loads of old, rare or little known gems and makes an entire show out of them. There's always something ace that you've never heard before. Here it is:

Anyone into that "West Landan, innit?" broken thing? I reckon it's very, very hit and miss, but some of it is fucking ace (the Bugz mix of Hold It Down by 4Hero and Loose Lips by Seiji spring to mind). Just past the hour mark on the above show, he drops a couple of tunes back to back that would be fucking mental in the club. Not what you'd call easy listening, but I'd love to hear them getting played out.

Love some of the bruk stuff, anything by 4hero, IG Culture, Phil Asher, Kaidi.

• 3 weeks later...
Gilles had a Heavy Hitters profile on the Sonar Kollektiv record label on Worldwide last night. Very, very, very soulful stuff, not much of which I own. I'll be rectifying that gap on my shelves forthwith. Check it:

> Moonstarr – ‘Detroit’ (Sonar Kollektiv)

This is an absolutey amazing track.

Gilles is right on a soul and jazz tip this week. Loads of old stuff I've never heard before and also plenty of new, including one called Believer by Paul Randolph who's worked with Amp Fiddler and Carl Craig's Innerzone Orchestra.

Dirk, there's few on here that you might like. I remember you said you liked the samba/jazzy things on one of my mixes. After the weird aberration of The Klaxons (he has to wear his eclectic credentials proudly every week), there are a few things of a similar ilk to those on that mix.

Get on it, soul boys: