You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New defender any suggestions?

Mr T

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lad at Stoke ............Scottish International, Champions League and Premiership experience, loves the club........ lady's and gents I give you Dominic Matteo ..........:whistle:

I always thought Matteo looked very talented when he was a kid. I don't think coming through in the glory days of Babb, Ruddock and Kvarme did him many favours.

There are rumours about Mertesacker (from a lad in Germany I know and a poster on Est.1892) but I have my doubts about him wanting to come as cover - especially with the Euro Championships coming up.

I think Carra & Agger are the first choice so someone able but not brilliant is probably the order of the day - not sure who to suggest.

As for Lahm...I would love to see him at Anfield but can not see it happening.(and at 5'6" he's not big enough to play CB)

Never heard of him. What's he like?

Powerhouse mate. He was in the U-21's World Cup for Holland, he's their captain. I'll try and dig up a YouTube video for you.

EDIT: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Hedwiges+Maduro/video/xstko_dennis-bergkamp-arsenal-ajax-afsche_sport

Its extended highlights of Arsenal Vs. Ajax where Maduro had a comfortable game. He can play at Centre Half or as a Defensive Midfielder. He is a very tidy player. He's also awesome on Football Manager.

I don't think we could let Sami go - we need a fourth central defender, just in case. If we didn't have transfer windows I'd be less concerned, but we do. If we did the above we'd have Richards, Carra and Agger - what if Carra's injury went all complicated and he was out until Christmas?

I don't want Crouch to go but if it suited all parties I suppose it would be ok. We've got enough cover in the squad to shuffle players around and so four full-time strikers might be a luxury.

But we need four centre-halves.

I agree we'd still need Hyypia if (big if!) we did sign Richards, but I was trying to think of the maximum I would countenance in order to get the deal done. And if Hyypia going there got the deal done, then I'd do it. I doubt Sami would want to be jostling with Richards for playing time (assuming Carra and Agger are both available too).

Our defensive cover will likely be someone we haven't really heard of, along the lines of an Arbeloa. He will come in and do a competent job as and when called on and will be happy to provide cover. That's what I'd bet on. But I suppose I'm just hoping for a big transfer to come out of the blue and Richards would be it.

There are rumours about Mertesacker (from a lad in Germany I know and a poster on Est.1892) but I have my doubts about him wanting to come as cover - especially with the Euro Championships coming up.

I think Carra & Agger are the first choice so someone able but not brilliant is probably the order of the day - not sure who to suggest.

As for Lahm...I would love to see him at Anfield but can not see it happening.(and at 5'6" he's not big enough to play CB)

I'm bigger than him. What is this you hear about Per Mertesacker?

I agree we'd still need Hyypia if (big if!) we did sign Richards, but I was trying to think of the maximum I would countenance in order to get the deal done. And if Hyypia going there got the deal done, then I'd do it. I doubt Sami would want to be jostling with Richards for playing time (assuming Carra and Agger are both available too).

Our defensive cover will likely be someone we haven't really heard of, along the lines of an Arbeloa. He will come in and do a competent job as and when called on and will be happy to provide cover. That's what I'd bet on. But I suppose I'm just hoping for a big transfer to come out of the blue and Richards would be it.

I've also heard rumours that David Garcia may be joining from Getafe. I can't see us buying Richards as Paul or Dave U said that why would City want to sell us their best youth talent? Plus, it's not like they're in any financial trouble.

Brede Hangeland FC Copenhagen.

Has steadily improved and been a rock for Norway. He has done very well for Copenhagen as well, and played well in CL last season. He could be an option, he is decent on the ball ( for a centre half ) good in the air and fairly quick.

We could do worse...

In Norway it`s been reported that Everton has been interested, and lately he is been heavily linked to Aston Villa and Newcastle.

Has steadily improved and been a rock for Norway. He has done very well for Copenhagen as well, and played well in CL last season. He could be an option, he is decent on the ball ( for a centre half ) good in the air and fairly quick.

We could do worse...

In Norway it`s been reported that Everton has been interested, and lately he is been heavily linked to Aston Villa and Newcastle.

Ayala if he's still at Villarreal, wouldn't cost much either.

Powerhouse mate. He was in the U-21's World Cup for Holland, he's their captain. I'll try and dig up a YouTube video for you.

EDIT: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Hedwiges+Maduro/video/xstko_dennis-bergkamp-arsenal-ajax-afsche_sport

Its extended highlights of Arsenal Vs. Ajax where Maduro had a comfortable game. He can play at Centre Half or as a Defensive Midfielder. He is a very tidy player. He's also awesome on Football Manager.

Cheers. What's he like for pace and aerial ability?

We could do worse...

Good shout. He reminds me a little about Hyypia, but I think it all comes down to if Copenhagen qualifies for the CL. He's a decent player and seems like a good lad who doesn't make the headlines but keeps his feet on the ground unlike a certain Norwegian other fella.

If we were to sign Micah Richards we must have started that process weeks ago. With only a few days left in the window trying to sign him is just a complete waste ov valuable time.

Don't think we'll bring anyone in personally. I think we can cope for 2/3 games (especially given the lack in quality of opposition) A loan deal would be pretty pointless IMO and I don't think there's enough time to be negotiating and bringing in a possible long term replacement for Sami / competition for Carra and Agger.

Only feasible one I can think of is Curtis Davies but he looks like signing for Villa.

I agree we need 4 CB's but it seems Rafa isn't going to buy another one because Carra's injury isnt as bad as first thought and he is happy with arbeloa playing there. Im really not convinced by Arbeloa in that position though and Sami cant be relied on week in week out. I'd have signed a top quality CB in the summer and had Agger as the replacement one as hes still making the odd mistake.