You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The McCanns...

Chris

For me, I just think there is far too little compassion on here. Too many people are coming across as self-righteous and wise after the fact. The McCanns know their mistake and that will likely (notwithstanding a miraculous retrieval) haunt them for the rest of their days.

I feel like I'm watching some sort of macabre spectacle where the parents are getting a good hammering for the mistakes they have made. I'm a church man, and I have to say, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Our three year old played in our garden today. It is conceivable that someone could have hopped over the back fence and taken her while I was inside making a cup of tea. Would I have had a chorus of experts telling me that I shouldn't have popped inside the house? How helpful would that have been?

Having your kids in the back garden is very different than being 200 yards away for a few hours with no clear view of your children. This was another country.

Gerry McCann looks like many surgeons I've encountered, arrogant and having become desensitized, whilst his missus looks on some form of sedative.

Either way, had they been a council estate couple it's fair to say the press would have branded them unfit parents.

Firstly not disagreeing is not the same as agreeing. I didn't agree with everything Chris said, or the way he said it, but I didn't disagree with any of it.

Well, that's cleared that up then.

These people left young children alone. The buck stops with them.

So the abductor is less to blame than the parents. Interesting point of view.

You seem awfully keen to absolve these people from any blame whatsoever though.

Err, where?

Funny, cos you were so quick to rush to judgement of the parents in the case of that other little girl who got killed.

"Got killed?" Do you mean brutally murdered by them, making that poor girls last days a life of torture and pain? Is that what you meant to say?

Well, this non-story (Absolute fucking beauty mate - even for you)is certainly keeping more worthy stories off the front pages, and if footballers have the capacity to publicise an issue, surely it would be better to publicise thousands of people being killed in Africa than one missing kid. I do think it's a real shame that so much effort is being put into this, (Shame? Go and look the word up before you use it again) and practically no effort being put into ending the disaster in Darfur. I think people are being emotionally blackmailed into "caring" about this missing child. You're a warm-hearted person aren't you. You've obviously not been fooled by all this 'caring' have you?

As soon as I think of any, I'll be sure to post 'em.

Mate, I bet you will 'n all.

Better to be a shit than to have shit for brains. Well, I'll let you be the judge because you've managed both.

What pisses me off most about this case is that some poor bastard is being hung out to dry by the media. Apparently he's the only "official suspect" in the case. Never mind that the parents should be prime suspects in the first place, because 99 times out of 100, dead children are killed by either or both of their parents.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the McCanns,we lost our first child in 2000 and have to do IVF to have the opportunity to have such a precious gift.

Yet these fuckers who also had to go through IVF to get Maddie,decided that going for a meal was more important than the safety of the child well fuck them.

I hope the kid is found but i really can't stand the parents utter cunts of the highest order.

What about the thousands of kids that walk to and from school everyday under no parental supervision?

The parents made a big mistake that they are going to pay for for the rest of their lives.

Aye, I've seen truck loads of three year olds walking to school unsupervised. I agree with the second point totally, though.

This review was placed on Aerial TV during the week that the child was abducted. Some objected to it.

Personally I think this vile critique forces people to face things about this case that they find unpleasant.

Aerial Telly will not be sexing Doctor Kate McCann

Please deal with it and move on

Yes, Aerial Telly has read your mails. And yes, he knows she wants him. She is, after all, only human (well, barely human) and she senses his presence as all women do. He knows that she will unconsciously offer up her hindquarters in submission the moment they meet and that there is no force in the universe that could stop them from mating. And the sophisticated Aerial Telly reader1 will have deduced that Scottish women are one of his few weaknesses2 so maybe he would be interested in giving her the time of day?

He knows that 75 percent of couples who lose a child in traumatic circumstances end up splitting up. This means Kate will very likely be on the market soon and it's tempting for you "people" to think that she'd rather like him to fuck the pain away for her.

Just whoa the fuck up there, Poindexter. Yes, it's true Aerial Telly is fond of Scottish women. They are so negligent in their parenting - it's a real turn-on. And he is more than aware that Kate McCann is exactly the kind of milfy pie who could benefit from a real fucking from a real man after years of frustrating inept "sex" from her so-called alleged "husband".

But he happens to be busy at the moment, with his extensive and demanding harem, single-handedly redefining television criticism in the quality press and working on a betting strategy that will make him even more crazy moolah. The emotional baggage of a worthless husband would be too much to handle at this present time. Which is not to say that he rules it out in future.

OK?

Or all too often completely disproportionate with it's compassion.

Stu, how can disproportionate - to use your word - compassion be worse than an absence of compassion? Some is better than none. How many of history's evil bastards were incapable of feeling compassion? I'd say all of them. There is nothing evil about too much compassion.

Chris certainly has his views, but I think the way he put them across in the first post was far too strong. Sometimes if an opinion is expressed too strongly then it damages the reason contained therein.

For me, I just think there is far too little compassion on here. Too many people are coming across as self-righteous and wise after the fact. The McCanns know their mistake and that will likely (notwithstanding a miraculous retrieval) haunt them for the rest of their days.

I feel like I'm watching some sort of macabre spectacle where the parents are getting a good hammering for the mistakes they have made. I'm a church man, and I have to say, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Our three year old played in our garden today. It is conceivable that someone could have hopped over the back fence and taken her while I was inside making a cup of tea. Would I have had a chorus of experts telling me that I shouldn't have popped inside the house? How helpful would that have been?

I'm not a church man - but I agree completely.

The issue here isn't really with the parents for me, I'd expect them to do everything they can to keep the news in the media glare, the issue is with the dickheads, both in the media and around the country, who are allowing this to dominate coverage. Anyone who doesn't think that is is obscene that people have given a million pounds in donations to find one little girl when there are millions of people dying for a lack of some clean water need to get their moral compass calibrated.

When John Steinbeck wanted to help to create a public debate about the deprivation of The Great Depression and what to do about it in the face of the American Dream, he wrote two novels: The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. The former won him the Nobel Prize for Literature, but the latter is the one that really changed opinions and indirectly led to welfare reform. People can't conceive of suffering on the scale of thousands, never mind the millions in Darfur. Steinbeck knew that the way to make people care is to bring the situation to life for people; ie, write about a small handful of characters who can readily evoke empathy and compassion. Darfur is just too big for most people to get their heads round. Madeleine isn't.

What about the thousands of kids that walk to and from school everyday under no parental supervision?

The parents made a big mistake that they are going to pay for for the rest of their lives.

Stop trying to make excuses for them, and stop trying to justify their actions through the consequences they'll suffer.

When John Steinbeck wanted to help to create a public debate about the deprivation of The Great Depression and what to do about it in the face of the American Dream, he wrote two novels: The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. The former won him the Nobel Prize for Literature, but the latter is the one that really changed opinions and indirectly led to welfare reform. People can't conceive of suffering on the scale of thousands, never mind the millions in Darfur. Steinbeck knew that the way to make people care is to bring the situation to life for people; ie, write about a small handful of characters who can readily evoke empathy and compassion. Darfur is just too big for most people to get their heads round. Madeleine isn't.

Thass right.

Darfur is "miles away". It's more Muslim atrocity. It's Africans and Arabs.

This is a little girl who could be your own. Or next door's. She's cute. Most people will know a little girl like her. Most people don't know any Janjaweed.

It doesn't take a fucking genius to work out why people have been so taken with the plight of one little girl and her family, next to what is just the latest in a seemingly ever-lasting torrent of "bad news from around the world".

Thass right.

Darfur is "miles away". It's more Muslim atrocity. It's Africans and Arabs.

This is a little girl who could be your own. Or next door's. She's cute. Most people will know a little girl like her. Most people don't know any Janjaweed.

It doesn't take a fucking genius to work out why people have been so taken with the plight of one little girl and her family, next to what is just the latest in a seemingly ever-lasting torrent of "bad news from around the world".

That doesn't make such a stance right, though. Knowing why something is doesn't make that same something morally so.

As opposed to the latest in a long line of dissapearences involving Children?

What makes this case so special, what elevates it above the dissapearence of an 11 month old baby in Bradford (I think) that has occured, like 15,000 (and counting) other cases since May?

Again, if she hadn't been kidnapped but instead had hurt herself or her brothers had hurt themselves then everyone would be discussing the neglect of the parents. Because she has been abducted the neglect (and lying) has been excused.

That doesn't make such a stance right, though. Knowing why something is doesn't make that same something morally so.

No of course not. I'm just saying it's understandable.

For example, when I see the words "car bomb in Iraq" in a headline, I don't even bother reading it. I'm inured to the situation. Which isn't right, but is understandable.