You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The McCanns...

Chris

As others have said if this was a single mum on a council estate that fucked off to the pub for half hour and the kid went missing she would have been vilified in the press as irresponsible and scum. Any other kids taken off her and probably charged with neglect. There would deffo not have been millions spent by the police to find the kid,millions not raised privately. 

I still cannot get how people think its ok to fuck off and leave kids alone in the flat and go for dinner

• Upvote 1

I just did.

Can you give me an adumbration?

As others have said if this was a single mum on a council estate that fucked off to the pub for half hour and the kid went missing she would have been vilified in the press as irresponsible and scum.

To be fair, they have been a 'bit' vilified, like.

• Upvote 1

As much as someone from a different background would have been?

I dunno, I guess it's hard to say. That Shannon Mathew's mum got around the same, I guess. I dunno, the McCanns have been accused by the media of killing their own child, and of all sorts of stuff. They've been heavily criticised. I don't know how much more they could vilify them if they were, indeed, lower-class.

• Upvote 1

As others have said if this was a single mum on a council estate that fucked off to the pub for half hour and the kid went missing she would have been vilified in the press as irresponsible and scum. Any other kids taken off her and probably charged with neglect. There would deffo not have been millions spent by the police to find the kid,millions not raised privately.

I still cannot get how people think its ok to fuck off and leave kids alone in the flat and go for dinner

I always find these responses weird. Unless you have been living in a cave, all you will have seen is the McCanns getting 100% vilified for not just being bad parents for leaving their child alone, but also having to deal with constantly being accused of actually killing their own daughter and disposing of the body. They’ve been slaughtered constantly since the day their daughter went missing.

I’ve honestly not seen one person ever say it’s ok to leave your kids of that age alone in a flat and go for dinner, so I don’t get your second point either.

Now if you want to question the finances that have been put towards finding their daughter compared to what would have happened a “working class” family who weren’t as savvy with the PR machine, then that’s a discussion very much worth having. But this ridiculous notion I see so often suggesting the McCanns haven’t been given a rough ride is simply wrong.

• Upvote 6

They've been protected by the UK government, police and mainstream media.  That's not "100% vilification".

Being vilified has nothing to do with being protected by the UK Government or Police from some sort of prosecution as I assume you mean? To be vilified is to be spoken about or written about disparagingly or abusively. And that’s happened every single time they’ve put their heads above the parapet. They’ve had to and continue to deal with horreandous accusations. Yes, they brought this horrible case on themselves when they left that kid alone, but the stuff that’s constantly said to them is utterly horrible. It seems that people just want them to shut up and go away. Pretty horrible really. The idea that a “working class” person would have it worse just doesn’t hold water given the abuse they’ve received.

• Upvote 4

What I can never work out is after seeing one of the photo fits of a potential suspect in 2008 Ruud Gullit was never interviewed 

DED3E753-CC93-FD4A-A5D353D2EFB48677.jpg

It was the lead singer of The Bangles all along.

I KNEW it!