You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The McCanns...

Chris

14 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Been watching this and I can't say I see anything else other than neglect on the McCanns and someone taking her.

Tried to see it from the other side but I just don't see it.

You aren’t trying hard enough. Have you not seen they were FUCKING DOCTORS!  And middle class, plus they didn’t react in exactly the way you expect you’d react. Come on sheeple. 

Jon Clarke says he arrived just as the McCanns were leaving for Potimao. He says he went uo onto the balcony of 5A but didn't go in because 'obviously it would have been a crime scene'. Did he reread what he had said previously?

I was completely shocked by the laid back manner the local authorities were dealing with the case that Friday morning.

When I arrived at about 11.45am I was firstly able to walk into the apartment, where I introduced myself to the McCanns and told them I would do everything I could to help.

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2017/05/11/madeleine-mccann-olive-press-editor-talks-first-journalist-scene-10th-anniversary-disappearance/

13 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

This smacks of the real culprit being furious at someone else getting his credit.

“There’s more to me than just blue rinse culling”, screamed Richards, as he was led away. 

Busman’s holiday. 

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

Been watching this and I can't say I see anything else other than neglect on the McCanns and someone taking her.

Tried to see it from the other side but I just don't see it.

The thing is mate there's no evidence of a break in other than the McCanns' testimony.  Then you have Kate McCann refusing to answer questions under caution and all of the tapas lot refusing to take part in a reconstruction.  It makes a mockery of the abduction theory and the Portuguese police were quick to rule it out. 

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The thing is mate there's no evidence of a break in other than the McCanns' testimony.  Then you have Kate McCann refusing to answer questions under caution and all of the tapas lot refusing to take part in a reconstruction.  It makes a mockery of the abduction theory and the Portuguese police were quick to rule it out. 

Wasn't the apartment left unlocked, so there would be no signs of a break in. 

Did the Portuguese police move away from the abduction theory because they didn't translate the DNA evidence properly, ignoring the caveats. I've seen reports of them investigating the possible abduction years later, so they didn't completely rule it out, to do so would in itself have been wrong.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

You aren’t trying hard enough. Have you not seen they were FUCKING DOCTORS!  And middle class, plus they didn’t react in exactly the way you expect you’d react. Come on sheeple. 

The lady saying about hearing Kate howl in terror shortly after the alarm was raised stuck with me very early on. Out of all the suspect behaviour that almost primal reaction isn't something surely you'd think/know to fake.

17 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The thing is mate there's no evidence of a break in other than the McCanns testimony.  Then you have Kate McCann refusing to answer questions under caution and all of the tapas lot refusing to take part in a reconstruction.  It makes a mockery of the abduction theory and the Portuguese police were quick to rule it out. 

Still working through it, so I've not seen all the evidence yet but it's just a gut feeling as I've no real investment in this case given it's a tough subject matter. Pretty soon fingers were being pointed at them and you just don't know how you'd react and behave with the attention on them taking away efforts on finding your child.

Trying to be impartial and it is a difficult one but watching this my gut's just telling me I don't think that they killed her.

Of course, I may feel differently when I finish the series.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the first five episodes. Up till now I've never had more than a laymans interest in the case, but I do love a good Netflix doc so I thought I'd give this a go.

My knowledge of events is obviously lacking, even now, but I just don't see the parents as being guilty of anything more than child neglect - for which they've already suffered more punishment than any slap on the wrist from a social worker could ever hope to impose.

As I see it, to accept the prominent theory, that the McCanns accidentally killed Madeleine then, in a panic, hid her body and staged her abduction, you'd also have to accept that her parents are stone-cold sociopaths. Otherwise how could they keep up such a front over the weeks, months and years that followed, and the intense pressure that's been put on them, not least by their own determination to keep the investigation and the story alive? 

You'd also have to accept that the witnesses at the meal that night were somehow complicit in the cover-up, lying, as has been claimed, to make the McCanns version of events that evening plausible. Why would they lie to protect people who they may have believed were responsible for the death of their child? Because they felt sorry for them? Because they were part of a peadophile ring (a theory I remember circulating at the time)?

A lot of focus has been put on the apparent inconsistencies of both the witnesses statements and those of the McCanns. Likewise their apparently 'unusual', 'not normal' behaviour following Madeleine's disappearance. As any detective would acknowledge, however, even the most truthful witnesses give inconsistent statements, either from one statement to the next, or from one witness to the next. As for what is 'normal' behaviour when you've just found your child's been taken, then find yourself at the centre of an international news event, and then find yourself under investigation for your child's death, I'm fucked if I know and I hope to God I never find out.

People on this thread, for example, have argued that Kate leaving the twins alone to get help having found Madeleine missing 'isn't credible', and that her trying to get some sleep after the 'abduction' was suspect and 'screamed of guilt'. I mean fucking really? Can anyone here honestly say how they would react in that split second when you've just realised your daughter's been taken? Or that they would sleep any better had they just killed their three year-old by accident and then covered it up? More generally, there seems to be an inconsistency in the staged abduction theory, which portrays the McCanns as both panicky emotional parents, and ruthless calculating cunts. What is it?

I say this as a proud working-class man, but I do believe a lot of the absolute hatred shown towards the McCanns is class-based. Ever other negative comment I've heard or read about them since day one has been about how nobody points out about them leaving the children alone that night because they're middle-class. Yeah, apart from the thousands of people who flag it up at every opportunity, along with large sections of the tabloid press. It's interesting to note too, that April Jones (who I understand had a learning disability) was only five and out playing with a friend when she was abducted and killed, but I don't remember any resentment towards her working-class parents, or any action from the authorities. And rightly so. 

Anyway, As I said at the start, I'm not a learned authority here, but these are my musings as things stand.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

People on this thread, for example, have argued that Kate leaving the twins alone to get help having found Madeleine missing 'isn't credible', and that her trying to get some sleep after the 'abduction' was suspect and 'screamed of guilt'. I mean fucking really? Can anyone here honestly say how they would react in that split second when you've just realised your daughter's been taken? Or that they would sleep any better had they just killed their three year-old by accident and then covered it up? More generally, there seems to be an inconsistency in the staged abduction theory, which portrays the McCanns as both panicky emotional parents, and ruthless calculating cunts. What is it?

I'm not saying it screams of guilt but unless she'd taken a sedative or had a load more to drink than they let on, I'd say going for a rest in the immediate hours after her kid had been abducted seems more than a little odd.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The thing I can't understand is how people view the no comment answers as a sign of guilt. It's like no one's ever seen a miscarriage of justice before. If your kid's gone missing, and the police start questioning you rather than looking elsewhere, I'd say shutting up is a sound plan.

It's usually seen as you have something to hide, although I'm not talking about this case specifically. There's a reason they added "

If you are arrested in the UK, you'll hear that your rights include a rider inserted by the 1994 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, after "you do not have to say anything":

But, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court.

I my experience this is to try to stop people saying nothing when interviewed, which gives the police nothing to contradict you with. It's all a bit late when at court. 

13 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The thing I can't understand is how people view the no comment answers as a sign of guilt. It's like no one's ever seen a miscarriage of justice before. If your kid's gone missing, and the police start questioning you rather than looking elsewhere, I'd say shutting up is a sound plan.

Not a sign of guilt but it is unquestionably weird, you would crawl over broken glass to do whatever you could to help the investigations, eliminate yourselves and let them get on with other lines of enquiry as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Not a sign of guilt but it is unquestionably weird, you would crawl over broken glass to do whatever you could to help the investigations, eliminate yourselves and let them get on with other lines of enquiry as quickly as possible.

Not when you are concerned you are being fitted up as a suspect by incompetent police covering their own arses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

Pretty soon fingers were being pointed at them and you just don't know how you'd react and behave with the attention on them taking away efforts on finding your child.

People say you don't know how you'd react but there have actually been lots of books written on the subject.  One of the things people don't do is hire the best lawyers, hire the best PR teams, hire a government spin doctor and pay them to keep their story on the front pages of the newspapers.  I think it's generally accepted that most people certainly don't go to sleep six hours after their kid goes missing!  A parent with no guilty knowledge would be doing everything they can do find the missing child, not concerning themselves with TV and newspaper interviews.  The McCanns did not physically search for Madeleine at all.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

A parent with no guilty knowledge would assist with the investigation in the hope that the information given would help find their missing child. Of course, shutting up is a sound plan if you do have guilty knowledge of what happened. 

1 hour ago, Captain Marvel said:

Wasn't the apartment left unlocked, so there would be no signs of a break in. 

Did the Portuguese police move away from the abduction theory because they didn't translate the DNA evidence properly, ignoring the caveats. I've seen reports of them investigating the possible abduction years later, so they didn't completely rule it out, to do so would in itself have been wrong.

They only admitted that the sliding patio doors were unlocked following further questioning.  Dispatches on Channel 4 proved that the shutters could not have been forced open without leaving traces of evidence.  After that episode of Dispatches was aired the McCanns changed their story and said the abductor entered through the unlocked doors. 

Guilty or not is too hard to say. Guilty of what? There are loads of things that could have happened to little Madeleine.

My points have been mainly about the weirdness. And I agree that some could be down to not knowing how anyone could act in those circumstances.

However there are so very many weirdnesses. And they're not just a little bit odd.

23 minutes ago, TK421 said:

People say you don't know how you'd react but there have actually been lots of books written on the subject.  One of the things people don't do is hire the best lawyers, hire the best PR teams, hire a government spin doctor and pay them to keep their story on the front pages of the newspapers.  I think it's generally accepted that most people certainly don't go to sleep six hours after their kid goes missing!  A parent with no guilty knowledge would be doing everything they can do find the missing child, not concerning themselves with TV and newspaper interviews.  The McCanns did not physically search for Madeleine at all.

You do if you have a large fund of money raised that needs administering. If I killed my kid I'd want it out of the public eye as soon as possible, certainly not front page.

If you'd been up all day, running around, hours of tennis, several bottles of wine then your kid goes missing. The adrenline when it left your body would be like being hit on the head. You would collapse in a heap.

32 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Maybe, but on the flip side of that if you did kill your kid you surely wouldn't be generating so much attention to yourself/raising attention to the matter days/months/years later.

I don't think they have done much wrong with how they dealt with things thanks to the media/police/online trolls. Certainly don't have an issue with them raising awareness on TV/in print.

17 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

You do if you have a large fund of money raised that needs administering. If I killed my kid I'd want it out of the public eye as soon as possible, certainly not front page.

If you'd been up all day, running around, hours of tennis, several bottles of wine then your kid goes missing. The adrenline when it left your body would be like being hit on the head. You would collapse in a heap.

I'm not going to try and convince you, Anny.  If you think they had nothing to do with it I think it makes you very gullible.  

• Downvote 1