You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

His Dark Materials

Sut

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three quarters of the way through the first one and found myself wondering what all the fuss was about. However I was up reading till 2.00am and I can wait to get home and finish one and start the next.

My good lady asked me what my knew book was about. I did feel a bit silly saying a girl with a magic thing and a daemon. Armoured bears, witches and Nicole Kidman pinching kids and dust.

Three quarters of the way through the first one and found myself wondering what all the fuss was about. However I was up reading till 2.00am and I can wait to get home and finish one and start the next.

My good lady asked me what my knew book was about. I did feel a bit silly saying a girl with a magic thing and a daemon. Armoured bears, witches and Nicole Kidman pinching kids and dust.

Wait until you get into the second one.

I've said before and repeat it now. I really envy those of you who're reading this series for the first time.

• 1 month later...

Bought Northern Lights as one of the books to read when I was holiday and bought The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass when I came back. Finished The Subtle Knife in a matter of days and I can't wait to start The Amber Spyglass.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from them and I didn't fully understand what was going on in Northern Lights but The Subtle Knife cleared up so many mysteries.

Thought they'd be a bit weird and shit but I was wrong. Don't see how they could be thought of as kids books because the subject matter is a little dense.

Bought Northern Lights as one of the books to read when I was holiday and bought The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass when I came back. Finished The Subtle Knife in a matter of days and I can't wait to start The Amber Spyglass.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from them and I didn't fully understand what was going on in Northern Lights but The Subtle Knife cleared up so many mysteries.

Thought they'd be a bit weird and shit but I was wrong. Don't see how they could be thought of as kids books because the subject matter is a little dense.

Bought the series based on the contributions on this thread. What can I say, except people on the GF really know their shit!

Its so incredible that I struggle with the notion that the series has been targeted at young teens.

I think the simple fact is that Pullman (unlike most people) doesn't have any preconceived ideas about what is beyond young people. Put it this way, I bet everyone who has read and loved these books on this thread would have equally loved them if they'd been available in their teens. It's certainly true that age and experience can give you a deeper/different appreciation of the themes (love, sexuality, the existence of God), but kids still get it too.

Culture

Catholic League urges boycott of Golden Compass movie

Christians have been told the Golden Compass movie turn children away from God.

by Kevin Donovan

Posted: Monday, November 5, 2007, 8:46 (GMT)Font Scale:A A A

Enlarge this pictureReligious activists at the Catholic League have urged Christians to boycott Philip Pullman’s movie-adaptation The Golden Compass, due to be released this Christmas, over fears children seeing the movie will give up on God.

The film, starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, is a creation from one of the stories of the atheist author Pullman's controversial His Dark Materials Trilogy.

Catholic League officials have condemned the film and books by Pullman, which they claim “bash Christianity and promote atheism to kids”.

League president William Donohue told America's Entertainment Weekly magazine: "Parents might be inclined to say, `Hey, our kid really enjoyed the movie, why don't we buy him His Dark Materials for Christmas?'

“(It) introduces the kid to atheism. (It's) a stealth campaign.”

However, rather than take offence to the criticism, the movie director Chris Weitz has welcomed the attention offered, pointing out that the Catholic League also boycotted the movie adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, which went on to become one of 2006's biggest cinema hits.

He said, "It will make more people see the film

Culture

by Kevin Donovan

Enlarge this pictureReligious activists at the Catholic League have urged Christians to boycott Philip Pullman’s movie-adaptation The Golden Compass, due to be released this Christmas, over fears children seeing the movie will give up on God.

The film, starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, is a creation from one of the stories of the atheist author Pullman's controversial His Dark Materials Trilogy.

Catholic League officials have condemned the film and books by Pullman, which they claim “bash Christianity and promote atheism to kids”.

League president William Donohue told America's Entertainment Weekly magazine: "Parents might be inclined to say, `Hey, our kid really enjoyed the movie, why don't we buy him His Dark Materials for Christmas?'

However, rather than take offence to the criticism, the movie director Chris Weitz has welcomed the attention offered, pointing out that the Catholic League also boycotted the movie adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, which went on to become one of 2006's biggest cinema hits.

That's great, that. Atheism by stealth.

The atheist aspects have been played down for the movie. What they've done there is attract more attention to the film. The idiots.

I also can't belive the final three chapters of the novel are apparently being moved into the next movie. If there is one.

Agreed. Fucking stupid decision. Why add an artificial cliff-hanger to a story that has no need for such a contrived and artificial way of connecting with the audience?

Agreed. Fucking stupid decision. Why add an artificial cliff-hanger to a story that has no need for such a contrived and artificial way of connecting with the audience?

They did it with Lord of the Rings as well, so Sam and Frodo'd have something to do at the start of the third film.

They did it with Lord of the Rings as well, so Sam and Frodo'd have something to do at the start of the third film.

Not too arsed about that, to be honest - LOTR ain't shit, literary-speaking (cinematically ace, though - obviously).

Not too arsed about that, to be honest - LOTR ain't shit, literary-speaking (cinematically ace, though - obviously).

Prefer these books myself. Just making the point that if they'll mess about with what are held as literary greats, they're not going to hold back on some book that's only a decade old.

But LOTR was actually one book chopped up into three. The end of the Fellowship wasn't, cinematically speaking, a good end. Northern Lights is one book. It has an ending and what I would call a cliffhanger ending. There's no need to move that into the (possible)next movie. They clearly think the audience is too dumb to work out what's going on at the end.

Dont read if you have not read.

Despite all the hype i have to say the books were enjoyable but I found them 'kidish'.

Hate to shout too loud because I did enjoy them and my 4 year old is now obsessed with the 'find your deamon' on the web site.

Without wanting to spoil the story I found the whole Mrs Coulter and Lord Asriel ending an anti climax and the awful way the authourity left the story was obviously deliberately understated whiff.

My verdict.

A terrific yarn which held me in its spell for a couple of weeks but left me feeling mmmmmm

Culture

by Kevin Donovan

If they're really worried about it, they can just take there kids to see "Prince Caspian" in May. After all, C.S. Lewis was a devout Christian, and the "Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" have heavy Christian under(and over)tones.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told by a friend who probably reads more than the lot of us, that His Dark Materials was written because of C.S. Lewis' series, to offer an opposite perspective. TBH, I think it's great that there are both out there. The world needs variety.

If they're really worried about it, they can just take there kids to see "Prince Caspian" in May. After all, C.S. Lewis was a devout Christian, and the "Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" have heavy Christian under(and over)tones.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told by a friend who probably reads more than the lot of us, that His Dark Materials was written because of C.S. Lewis' series, to offer an opposite perspective. TBH, I think it's great that there are both out there. The world needs variety.

Aye, what a bunch of insecure wallies the Catholic League must be.

• 4 weeks later...