You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Lipton on Torres

JMARKH

Just been reading the Daily Mirrors Mania season review and their head writer Lipton quotes "Fernando Torres, more renowned for his misses than hits in spain must demonstrate he is the 20-goal man any title winning side has as a spearhead".

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but to state as fact that Torres is more renowned for his misses than hits in Spain so casually is just blatant bollocks, why where Europes top clubs coverting him if he is the Jason Lee of spain!! Lipton is a cunt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been reading the Daily Mirrors Mania season review and their head writer Lipton quotes "Fernando Torres, more renowned for his misses than hits in spain must demonstrate he is the 20-goal man any title winning side has as a spearhead".

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but to state as fact that Torres is more renowned for his misses than hits in Spain so casually is just blatant bollocks, why where Europes top clubs coverting him if he is the Jason Lee of spain!! Lipton is a cunt

It's not as embarassing (sp) as Trevor Francis saying he and Villa of Villareal were the two best forwards in the league.

Who did Villa play for and what the fuck about Eto'o?

Torres does have a reputation of missing a lot of chances.

Perhaps but at least he's in the right position to get the chances.

Look, Torres may not be the finished article. He's young and will improve. Even Heskey went from a 6 goal a season striker to netting 22 in one season with us.

He's not the only one who thinks that, though. Altrhough Aragones is a fuckwit, he does have the small fact that he's managed him at international level. I'm not saying the lad is wasteful, I'm merely stating that he has a reputation for spurning chances. He does. I read something from an Atletico forum and one of their fans was saying the same. He's only 22 so it's not abnormal but he's far from the finished article right now. What is indisputable is that he possesses talent in abundance.

Who said it was classic Torres?

If he misses chances with us some fans will give him loads of grief.

They'd be idiots, though. Stating somebody has a reputation for missing chances , which he does, is not the same as barracking him for it. It's becoming all the more impossible to highlight any weaknesses to do with LFC on here. We're going to win the league and Fernando Torres is going to scores all 65 of his shots on target.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2117836,00.html

"And yet there have always been doubts. Torres divides Spain. He is an idol and a star, his raw talent unquestionable, but for some he almost became a figure of fun as well, capable of combining the most brilliant goals with the most incredible misses. When Spain drew 0-0 with Russia in a pre-World Cup friendly he was booed by Spain fans. On one occasion he got the ball, spun his marker, played a quick one-two, dashed clear leaving his defender for dead . . . and put the ball wide. It was, they said, classic Torres."

What will happen is that people will have unrealistic expectations of him and when he fails to live up to them, they will barrack him.

I really hope he gets off to a good start. For his own good.

If he starts slow and we don't do too well at the start, he'll get all sorts of abuse.

Many people in the game have said he is a great player and I think he will score many goals for us and create for others

I think he is a great player, he will score goals for us and he will create for others. I'm just not certain that he will score as many as people hope he does.

The thing that wound me up about the article was the blatant bias against us ( Lipton does seem to have a problem with us ). Every comment practically is positive on the other 3 but negative about Liverpool.

His masturbating over Ferguson is unbelievable

- 'The only pressure on SAF comes from within himself . Master of all he surveys , master of the universe. Ferguson now knows there is no question of his brilliantly won reputation dripping away in his last years of his spell at the top. Looking younger than he has for half a decade '

FFS , Ferguson is a very good manager but I would say that the pressure is on him in Europe & he is well aware of it.

' Chelsea have only spent money on Malouda , but are still bullish about their chances unlike the man who has spent big - Benitez '

We have net spent ( sorry ) about 10m more than them so far this pre-season so this obviously negates the endless funds they spent the last 4 years !!

And possibly the biggest load of shite of all ' At the Emirates stadium , Wenger simply has to stay ahead of Spurs for a rebuilding season to be considered a success '

This will come as a shock to the Gunners I know .

I know I shouldn't get wound up by no-marks like Lipton , but as well as the obvious bias in his writing , it is the absolutely lazy journalism involved. Reading the excellently argued & interesting views raised by some posters on here , other Liverpool web sites & no doubt other teams' websites , I cannot believe a massive newspaper like the Mirror cannot do better than him.

Andy Cole had a reputation for missing lots of chances too. But he still scored goals by the bucketload. See, if you create twice as many chances as the average striker, then you can afford to be a little more profligate. I have no doubts that Torres will find the back of the net regularly at Anfield.