You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen injury worse than first thought

mcflynn

Did anybody see that article last week about the magnificent horse racing stables he's built ( @ £3m worth ) with his own trainer involved.

He's spent all of his summer overseeing this & has studiously avoided watching any Newcastle pre-season games , leading to a lot of disquiet amongst the barcodes.This is all as well as the Ingerlund obsession.

I genuinely believe that he has very little interest in club football whatsoever & sees it as basically funding his real interests.

We've dodged a bullet here.

Nice 'Going Underground' references in the thread. As for Owen, I wonder if this is the same kind of thigh injury that made Woodgate miss so much football. After the dodgy hamstrings, then the knee and metatarsal, this is the last thing he needed.

He may well be finished as a top player. Time will tell.

Guest TK-421
I think we could take him back in a heavily-claused deal on half his wages. If we make use of him we pay for him. If he stopped getting injured and got his old form back he'd be a great player to have in the squad. With the right kind of deal it wouldn't be that big a risk.

I can see where you're coming from but there are too many uncertainties regarding his future in my opinion. When Paul ran a 'Would you bring back Owen' poll earlier this summer I voted no and expressly said it was because of concerns over his fitness, not that I'm gloating or anything.

I still think he's a great player and wouldn't be that surprised to see him get back to his best, but there's probably a good reason why a top club hasn't been in for him this summer.

Yes what is staggering is some people appear to have no such qualms over Kewell who has been out far longer than Owen!

You could switch every "Owen" in this thread with "Kewell" and it would be the same thing. Injured for so long. The last thing he needed. He might be finished as a top player, he only cares about the national team etc. Same thing, different name and nationality.

Yes what is staggering is some people appear to have no such qualms over Kewell who has been out far longer than Owen!

Ah someone else who has noticed his lack of availabilty lol.It amazes me how people keep saying well if he stays fit or this will be Kewells season.Lets put this to bed once and for all.Number of games were he has shown the sort of ability he has/had you can count on your fingers no need for the toes.No pace now no abilty to go past defenders as he once could.Final cross well on his pre season showing so far his accuracy is attrocious.Dont get me wrong i think Kewell was outstanding player for Leeds but here he has shown only glimpses.If your honest with yourself can you really see us winning premiership with him on the left side.Why has Rafa not sorted this problem out?or may be has ,he has said a possible 2 more to come before start of season.

You could switch every "Owen" in this thread with "Kewell" and it would be the same thing. Injured for so long. The last thing he needed. He might be finished as a top player, he only cares about the national team etc. Same thing, different name and nationality.

I've been thinking exactly the same, but didn't bother posting it.

We've played about 250 games since Kewell arrived and he has played 83 games. That is one third of the games. It's ridiculous.

Agreed. It's a mighty shame, because he was one hell of a player. Flogging him in 2004 is starting tolook like a smart piece of business.

best bit of business was Real Madrid getting 17 million for him, when he was their 5th choice striker. A year after paying half that.

Mind you, they paid a similar fee back for Woodgate, so they both got a shit deal.

I've been thinking exactly the same, but didn't bother posting it.

We've played about 250 games since Kewell arrived and he has played 83 games. That is one third of the games. It's ridiculous.

Hes played 111 games since he joined.Last season he played 77 mins.But the point being apart, from 1 brief period were he showed some ability he is not consistent or imo good enough now to do it constant.

03 -04 10 goals in 44 games

04-05 1 goal in 30 games

05-06 3 goals in 33 games

06-07 0 goals 1 game

To the people saying 'I told you so' and having a pop at those of us who'd have taken Owen back:

Most of us who would have had him back saw him as a good cut-price option when it looked as though we wouldn't have the money to spend on a top striker, a worry which for a good while was shared by a majority of people on this forum including plenty of the 'no Owen' squad. Some of us happened to think with money tight and wingers also needed, £9m for Owen would have been a better deal than paying twice as much for an ex-Manc flop or a ridiculously overpriced England fringe player. We acknowledged that he might not be fit for more than 25 league games, but with Rafa's use of rotation that wouldn't have been as big a problem as it was when Owen was with us.

Happy to clear that up for you.

When Paul did that vote I'm sure I voted "Yes". Part of that was because I really don't want to see him scoring for the Mancs, which was of course one of the vague rumours back then.

I can put aside all the stuff about how he left last time, and his love for England above Liverpool, and that hand-rubbing goal celebration he did with Ince all those years ago - AS LONG AS HE RENOUNCES IT ALL WITH A BIG FAT APOLOGY.

But this injury stuff is really worrying. There's no way we can sign him on a "normal" transfer.

On the other hand Newcastle are stuck with him. They are paying him £120k a week or whatever it was, and are seeing his value plummet alarmingly. If the rumours of a buy-out clause are true nobody's interested in paying it.

Fat Sam won't want Owen, he'd rather save the wages money. I think Newcastle would take a bid from us that would rise to £9m based on appearances and goals. Wages-wise Owen would have to be willing to take a big drop. If he's not willing he's not wanted. Again his wages could be tied in with performance and appearances so we aren't lumbered with him if he really is a crock.

That way if his injuries don't go away, we lose very little in money terms. If they do go away, we get a player back who used to be pretty good.

His injuries are clearly a problem, we should only sign him if the deal has some kind of 'insurance' built in against him getting more of them. I think Newcastle will be willing to offload him too.

All of that sounds absolutely fine RR, but there's not a cat in hells chance that Owen would agree to those terms, he'd be completely barking if he did given the contract he's got at Newcastle and his recent injury problems.

To the people saying 'I told you so' and having a pop at those of us who'd have taken Owen back:

Most of us who would have had him back saw him as a good cut-price option when it looked as though we wouldn't have the money to spend on a top striker

Owen would never be a cut-price option with his wages, or his injury record.

Sure, he might drop his demands to "just" £60,000 a week, but if he's only playing 1 week in 3 (and that's generous, given his record at Newcastle), that turns rapidly into £180,000 for every week he's available.

Not cut-price. Just a waste of money.

Owen would never be a cut-price option with his wages, or his injury record.

Sure, he might drop his demands to "just" £60,000 a week, but if he's only playing 1 week in 3 (and that's generous, given his record at Newcastle), that turns rapidly into £180,000 for every week he's available.

Not cut-price. Just a waste of money.

Still a lot cheaper than Torres, Tevez and the rest when we didn't think we'd be able to shop at that level. That was my point - he was the best value plan B available.

I've said it before: Owen's injury record at Newcastle is an unfair benchmark to use, as it was two serious injuries that could have happened to any player. His injury problems with us were largely down to him being rushed back before he was fully recovered as we were overly reliant on him, which wouldn't have been the case if we'd signed him now. Anyway it's all academic now, as he won't be coming back this or any other summer.

Thing is the way some people are talking, you'd think this was another new injury for Owen. It isnt, its the same injury he had 10 days ago only its taking long than nufc said it would to heal.

Perhaps its even a case of nufc being too optomistic in their assessment and the injury is taking the usual time to heal.

Finished as a top striker? Doubt it and I bet he still outscores our top striker this season.