You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool V Portsmouth Match Thread

fivetimes

He does need someone quick alongside him, or quick players breaking from midfield, that's right. It's a shame that Crouch doesn't have any pace but I can't help but think that has made him have to work on his close skills and hence why he is able to weave past three players in slow motion when he goes on a mazy one.

If someone's trademark moves are plucking shounder high balls out of the air with your instep with one touch or lifting the ball over players' heads and getting it on the other side of them then I reckon you're pretty well stocked in the touch department.

It may sound strange but one of the main reasons that I want Babel and Torres to be a real success for us is that it will mean we can keep the strikers we have, to complement them, as I like Crouch a lot and don't think I've ever wanted a player to be a success as much as I do with Kuyt.

I do not disagree with the fact that Crouch has some skill, but he needs to improve his movement and aggression in the box. For example he needs to use his height, loose his marker and attack the first post a hell of a lot more than he has in the past...

Of course we do not know how Voronin will do in the league, and we only have a few pre-season friendlies to judge by, but every single player needs to impress every time they play or train in order to get playing time, and from what we have seen so far Crouch have some catching up to do... What he did last year is history, this is a new season with new opportunities... I just hope everybody steps up and competition will be fierce, we'll need it...

Still feel we miss a poacher though, perhaps Crouch or Kuyt can become one, but I have my doubts

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Crouch is EASILY our most skilfull player but his lack of pace is a major issue. I think Crouch and Torres will definitely be our best strike force however i feel that Benitez prefares Kuyt, which is a shame because he's shite....Kuyt not Benitez.

Just for the record, do you mean between:

1. him and Kuyt

2. him and rest of the strikers(Voronin,Kuyt,Torres,Babel)

3. him and the rest of the squad

???

I am a little bit disappointed in the general disapproval aimed towards Babel in this thread.

When you realise how much the World Cup took out of the legs of mature pros like Steven & Jamie early last season , I'm surprised Ryan wasn't given more of a rest after playing right through the U21's tourney on top of a full season @ Ajax.

I think he looks highly promising & gives a massive ( much needed ) input of energy & pace on the side of the pitch we were far weaker last season.

I would also note that Fernando's season in Spain ended far later than ours & am impressed that he has looked so good in flashes already despite being behind fitness & energy wise.

I personally will reserve the right to judge him a bit later on, however due to his age I believe he will need time, and time is not a luxury we have this season, we need to start the season running this time around....

In other words I criticised Rafa for not going after a finished article who probably would have needed less time to adjust.

Also I wanted more of an out-and-out winger, who can beat his opponent, get the crowd going and bomb the box with quality delivery...

Whether Babel can be this player time will tell, but I and himself apparently see him more as a striker than a winger....

Last season I didnt think Kuyt, Bellamy or Fowler were good enough for a title winning LFC team. As for Crouch he pissed me off the most because he had one good game in 3 which is so fustrating for the team and the manager, you need a level of consistency to win titles.

Crouch's biggest problem is that his best role is on his own with someone like Garcia floating in behind and he fitted the team in that role in the 82 point season and was easily our best striker, Rafa tried to move on from that last season and Crouch couldnt adapt and form a real partnership with any of the other strikers, hence why Bellamy/Kuyt was Rafa's preferred choice

With Torres comming, Crouch will have to learn to form a partnership with Torres but I believe the team play has moved on from two seasons ago and he will be 3rd or 4th choice striker.

Last season I didnt think Kuyt, Bellamy or Fowler were good enough for a title winning LFC team. As for Crouch he pissed me off the most because he had one good game in 3 which is so fustrating for the team and the manager, you need a level of consistency to win titles.

Crouch's biggest problem is that his best role is on his own with someone like Garcia floating in behind and he fitted the team in that role in the 82 point season and was easily our best striker, Rafa tried to move on from that last season and Crouch couldnt adapt and form a real partnership with any of the other strikers, hence why Bellamy/Kuyt was Rafa's preferred choice

With Torres comming, Crouch will have to learn to form a partnership with Torres but I believe the team play has moved on from two seasons ago and he will be 3rd or 4th choice striker.

But Nick, Bellamy and Kuyt was Rafa's preferred partnership at the start of last season when, pretty much everyone agrees, we lost the title by October playing badly and getting poor results. By Christmas, Crouch was back in the starting eleven on a pretty regular basis, and not un-conincidentally that's when we really started putting decent results together.

I think the difference between this season and the last two is that the whole idea of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th choice is going to be less relevant . Now we've actually got four strikers who (assuming Kuyt finds some kind of form) are all good enough to play a role, and who will probably all get games throughout the year according to who the opposition is - last year, by contrast, we had two strikers who clearly weren't good enough, and at least one other who was being given the benefit of the doubt.

I'd say that both Voronin and Torres has better first touch than Crouch....

Whether it be Kuyt or Crouch who have the better touch I do not care, we could sell either one for all I care...... But given how many fans Crouch has on here I suppose a poll would favour the sale of Kuyt.. Unfortunately for those who likes Crouch, Rafa rates Kuyt more highly!

Now I could tell you all to shut it, just like a lot of people have told me and others that have argued for buying Quaresma and Alves, that if Rafa chooses otherwise than that must be the only correct decision, but I am not!!!

It is perfectly OK to question Rafa's decisions.....

You are however backing my argument for us to buy a world class poacher, because we do not have any at the club right now.... Torres is good, but a new Fowler he is not....

Sell Kuyt or Crouch let's buy Milito or Villa!!

Together with Torres up front that will make for a great combo:thumbsup:

I think your post starts badly, and then goes downhill from there.

I'm not sure I've got the energy for the rest of it, but I will ask why, if a "world class poacher" is so important in modern British football, neither of the teams who finished above us last year had one?

But Nick, Bellamy and Kuyt was Rafa's preferred partnership at the start of last season when, pretty much everyone agrees, we lost the title by October playing badly and getting poor results. By Christmas, Crouch was back in the starting eleven on a pretty regular basis, and not un-conincidentally that's when we really started putting decent results together.

I think the difference between this season and the last two is that the whole idea of 1st/2nd/3rd/4th choice is going to be less relevant . Now we've actually got four strikers who (assuming Kuyt finds some kind of form) are all good enough to play a role, and who will probably all get games throughout the year according to who the opposition is - last year, by contrast, we had two strikers who clearly weren't good enough, and at least one other who was being given the benefit of the doubt.

I havent got the stats but Crouch wasnt a starter when it really mattered.

We most defo do have a first choice striker but I do conceded that the other 3 are fighting to partner to Torres

Crouch had more than one good game in three last season. And he plays better alongside another striker than he does on his own.

Dont agree with that his best partner was Garcia and I thought I was being kind with 1 in 3

We'll have to agree to dissagree

I'm not sure I've got the energy for the rest of it, but I will ask why, if a "world class poacher" is so important in modern British football, neither of the teams who finished above us last year had one?

That said Wayne Rooney scored 23 goals, and Drogba scored 33.

That said Wayne Rooney scored 23 goals, and Drogba scored 33.

I think its the total amount of goals the team scores and we have been very poor at that in the league under Rafa.

You need your front 6 to average at least 13 goals a man to win the league

I just find it more than a little disappointing to lose to Portsmouth.

I can make myself feel better by thinking that "we're trying out partnerships and systems", but can the same not be said of Portsmouth? And of course "it doesn't matter because it was an unimportant pre-season game", but my guess is that it mattered to the Far East supporters who care passionately how we perform in front of them against no-mark english teams. And it matters to me.

We lost too many games last season as a result of profligacy in front of goal. Have we not cured that ill having spent so much money?

It's not the end of the world, but I expected an easy victory - the same expectation of victory that I harboured before numerous games in the early part of last season. I hope that this is where the similarity ends.

I can make myself feel better by thinking that "we're trying out partnerships and systems", but can the same not be said of Portsmouth? And of course "it doesn't matter because it was an unimportant pre-season game", but my guess is that it mattered to the Far East supporters who care passionately how we perform in front of them against no-mark english teams. And it matters to me.

That the game finished at 0-0 is bad enough. That we lost on penalties is almost worse. Yes it's a bit of a lottery, but it's a lottery we have developed a habit of winning. When we do, it's because we have great keepers and composure under pressure. Now we haven't, apparently Jamesy played a blinder.

It's not the end of the world, but I expected an easy victory - the same expectation of victory that I harboured before numerous games in the early part of last season. I hope that this is where the similarity ends.

I'll give you 7/10 for melodrama. You think the players were motivated to win a game which was just a brand advert for the premiership?

We lost too many games last season as a result of profligacy in front of goal. Have we not cured that ill having spent so much money?

Jesus, if you get this distraught over a pre-season friendly against Portsmouth, it's a good job we're not in the Charity Shield this year.

Jesus, if you get this distraught over a pre-season friendly against Portsmouth, it's a good job we're not in the Charity Shield this year.
I would hardly say distraught but I take your point. Nevertheless, we spent so much money and yet couldn't even score against, let alone beat Portsmouth in a pre-season. Portsmouth. I maintain, it's pretty dismal.

I would hardly say distraught but I take your point. Nevertheless, we spent so much money and yet couldn't even score against, let alone beat Portsmouth in a pre-season. Portsmouth. I maintain, it's pretty dismal.

You think Maureen gave a fuck about losing to Rangers yesterday? He's hardly going to be in the press today writing off their title chances is he?

Perhaps it has something to with having world class wingers :whistle:

And I think Utd were pretty decent with Ruud Van Horseface in the team don´t you