You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool V Portsmouth Match Thread

fivetimes

Then why the hell is he still here for then?

Torres is our new leader up front and is better than Crouch at pretty much everything.

Both Kuyt and Voronin are both a hell of a lot stronger than Crouch and have the same qualities of holding the ball up.

Babel and Torres are both faster and more skillfull.

Unless Crouch becomes more aggressive in the box and uses his height and physique, the future does not look bright for him, at LFC anyway...

Erm dont want to piss on your bonfire mate but crouch scores goals.Torres is faster but one thing he definatly is not is a goal scorer.If you want to start going on about his record then he was also penalty taker. For whatever reason Rafa does not seem to like playing Crouch and who are we to argue.Babel imo was way overpriced and personally think he will take a age to adjust to premiership.Intresting thing about Babel Wenger has been watching him for past few seasons and thinks he could possibally make it as a world class player,so why did Wenger not bid for him?In his own words he has potential but he is way overpriced and that was at 8.5millon not 11.5

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when people say we have to wait and see and judge after the season bla bla....after the season it's too late isnt it? And ofcourse anyone can come up with the correct asessments after the season. What is interesting, is discussing right now what needs to be done and who is and isnt good enough.

I think what people are saying is we should possibly wait until after we've played one competitive game before declaring either the whole team or certain players a waste of space.

You might find the alternative (ranting about how shit players are after a couple of pre-season friendlies) interesting. Don't assume everyone else feels the same.

After seeing the highlights, I've got to say - it looks promising.

Torres is class, the ability he has to beat a man, be in the right moment and time always, and get to chances that you don't expect a player to get to. It's stunning. They creativity he shows. I think he will be a great success, and help the attacking side of our team alot.

Sissoko had a nice game, with alot of good passes and beeing attacking, I think he will improve his attacking part of the game, and go the same way as Steven did at that age.

Pennant looks promising, and you almost can be sure he'll beat a man or get a pass in.

Benayoun looks promising to, and I hope he can cut it in our team.

But, the lack of scoring goals on clear cut chances is a problem, and why doesn't Kuyt get them in? He got alot of chances and should have scored at least one. We need the clinicy, we've lacked it so long, and it is a big problem.

I don't really see what Ryan Babel gives the team, in any way - do you?

Then why the hell is he still here for then?

Torres is our new leader up front and is better than Crouch at pretty much everything.

Both Kuyt and Voronin are both a hell of a lot stronger than Crouch and have the same qualities of holding the ball up.

Babel and Torres are both faster and more skillfull.

Unless Crouch becomes more aggressive in the box and uses his height and physique, the future does not look bright for him, at LFC anyway...

Crouch has the best first touch of any of the strikers, and is far more reliable in front of goal than Kuyt. For all his being "our new leader" I'm not sure Torres is exactly Fowler circa '95 in those situations either.

I think your points are mostly directed at me so I wil try and answer them one by one.

I think after 3 years it's pretty obvious that all Liverpool fans and the board want the League Championship - if not that then at least to challenge for it. I think after 3 years and a lot of money spent we are entitled to expect Rafa to challenge for 2nd or 1st place.

I think the jury is out on whether his cautious approach, distrust in ultra attacking players and love of 5 man midfield's are going to win us the league. Hence why many of us question his buys. It is not a case of either we are with him or against him, it's a case of discussing our concerns and thoughts on a messageboard.

We tried for Quaresma, Mancini and Simao these past 2 seasons and Rafa decided against them, all three of them due to money. I think he likes players to want to come here, to hold their clubs to ransom to do so etc, but not all players will do that ala Torres.

Going back to the fox in the box analogy, I like the system of 4-2-3-1 but only if the last 4 are all proper attacking players and not mixed with centre midfield players and defensive strikers. But Rafa continues to play strikers like Crouch and Kuyt deep and Gerrard as the link player (which he clearly isn't suited to). For that reason I think we need someone in addition to the brilliant all round Torres that will sit inside the box and put away the numerous chances we create.

As for Portuguese wingers - one just won the league for Man United. A fancy dan one trick pony too. At Valencia he operated with wingers Rufete and Vincente, had a magician in Aimar operate behind either Carew or Mista. A team he inherited as losers he made into winners. At Liverpool he has had to buy in many players and he has made mistakes, especially up front and on the wings - so little wonder when he goes for players like Benayoun and the young forward Babel that fans ask "where is our winger then"? It doesn't mean we want Rafa out.

Yes, I genuinely believe that too much rotation, tinkering and signing mid table talents like Benayoun won't win us the league. This season I have only really been excited with the Torres signing, and happy with Babel - other than that what's changed from previous seasons?

Whether he does things differently or not it won't stop message board members chatting about it - it's only chat!! I openly say that with the money I'd have bought Owen, Quaresma and Torres and been done with it, and if we had those three I would be even more excited than I am now.

Shoot me.

It wasn't particularly aimed at you, Rashid, if it had been I'd have posted it in a reply to one of your posts. There's several people saying much the same as you. But I'm not going to pursue this, so let's leave it there.

It wasn't particularly aimed at you, Rashid, if it had been I'd have posted it in a reply to one of your posts. There's several people saying much the same as you. But I'm not going to pursue this, so let's leave it there.

Fair enough, we can agreed to disagree I guess.

Crouch has the best first touch of any of the strikers, and is far more reliable in front of goal than Kuyt. For all his being "our new leader" I'm not sure Torres is exactly Fowler circa '95 in those situations either.

Got to agree with you mate strange thing is Kuyt has a amazing scoring record in Holland.I will say though if Rafa can bring out the goal scorer in him then Torres is going to be unstoppable.Obviously Rafa must think he can for him to spend 20.2mill on him.Personally i think the new signings have been good apart from Babel which for the life of me i cant understand.(especialy at 11.5 mill)Imo we still need 1 more centre half as cover and without doubt a left midfielder.I sorry but how long are people here going to give Kewell.He has played a dozen decent games for us if that out of 124.He does not seem to have pace anymore and when he does get past someone then his cross is crap.He is to much of a liabilty to play regular in starting line up for a team with title hopes.

Got to agree with you mate strange thing is Kuyt has a amazing scoring record in Holland.I will say though if Rafa can bring out the goal scorer in him then Torres is going to be unstoppable.Obviously Rafa must think he can for him to spend 20.2mill on him.Personally i think the new signings have been good apart from Babel which for the life of me i cant understand.(especialy at 11.5 mill)Imo we still need 1 more centre half as cover and without doubt a left midfielder.I sorry but how long are people here going to give Kewell.He has played a dozen decent games for us if that out of 124.He does not seem to have pace anymore and when he does get past someone then his cross is crap.He is to much of a liabilty to play regular in starting line up for a team with title hopes.

Pretty fucked-up logic, isn't it? Crouch has been the best striker at the club ever since he got here, rarely played badly and often played brilliantly, and people are wetting themselves to get rid of him. Kewell's done fuck all in four seasons, and NOW he's going to be the man to bring us number 19.

Gotta love it.

Crouch isnt even suited to polish Torres' boots. I like Crouch but come on. Torres is world class and has been hunted for years by all the top clubs for a reason. Crouch was just linked to man city. I think it's safe to say Torres has a better first touch

I think what people are saying is we should possibly wait until after we've played one competitive game before declaring either the whole team or certain players a waste of space.

You might find the alternative (ranting about how shit players are after a couple of pre-season friendlies) interesting. Don't assume everyone else feels the same.

I bet you were defending Kromkamp aswell when I was slating him after game 1

Pretty fucked-up logic, isn't it? Crouch has been the best striker at the club ever since he got here, rarely played badly and often played brilliantly, and people are wetting themselves to get rid of him. Kewell's done fuck all in four seasons, and NOW he's going to be the man to bring us number 19.

Gotta love it.

If i live to be 1,000 i will never ever understand why so many people put so much faith in him.

Er, I thought he was OK. I think writing players off after one game is ridiculous, and only more so if the game happens to be a friendly.

It's not ridiculous if the player is in fact shite. Like Kromkamp and Paletta. I agree with you to a degree in principal mate, anyway im on the ale, and im gonna get some more, have a nice evening

I'd say that both Voronin and Torres has better first touch than Crouch....

Whether it be Kuyt or Crouch who have the better touch I do not care, we could sell either one for all I care...... But given how many fans Crouch has on here I suppose a poll would favour the sale of Kuyt.. Unfortunately for those who likes Crouch, Rafa rates Kuyt more highly!

Now I could tell you all to shut it, just like a lot of people have told me and others that have argued for buying Quaresma and Alves, that if Rafa chooses otherwise than that must be the only correct decision, but I am not!!!

It is perfectly OK to question Rafa's decisions.....

You are however backing my argument for us to buy a world class poacher, because we do not have any at the club right now.... Torres is good, but a new Fowler he is not....

Sell Kuyt or Crouch let's buy Milito or Villa!!

Together with Torres up front that will make for a great combo:thumbsup:

Did you stick that on your CV or did you just get a Tshirt printed?

Imagine being proud of slating a player after one game!!!

He was right though wasn't he?

I mean some players just do not have what it takes to play for Liverpool!!

Nick I think Crouch has proved himself enough to deserve a run. It's early days for Voronin and Kuyt seems off the pace. Unless we buy someone like Owen then Crouch should play - Torres will do his running for him. Voronin and Kuyt on the bench.

Torres and Voronin both improve the first 11 IMO

Crouch & Kuyt are now both squad players, in fact id play Babel ahead of them with the exception being Crouch for certain tough away games

So two friendly games and you can make a call on Voronin adding more to a first eleven than Crouch or Kuyt can. Have you ever considered why you get so much shit, Nick? How do you expect people to respect your opinions if you form them after two bloody friendlies?

Crouch's first touch is sublime, by the way, he doesn't get the credit for what he does because he looks odd; if he looked like Gerrard then there would be showboat feature after showboat feature wanking all over his skills. We can debate his overall value all day but arguing his touch isn't wonderful really is working outside the facts.

So two friendly games and you can make a call on Voronin adding more to a first eleven than Crouch or Kuyt can. Have you ever considered why you get so much shit, Nick? How do you expect people to respect your opinions if you form them after two bloody friendlies?

Crouch's first touch is sublime, by the way, he doesn't get the credit for what he does because he looks odd; if he looked like Gerrard then there would be showboat feature after showboat feature wanking all over his skills. We can debate his overall value all day but arguing his touch isn't wonderful really is working outside the facts.

I was thinking this the other day, if he was only 6ft and did what he did - we would think he is sensational! My only reservation on Crouch now is his speed, he is so slow that he needs someone quick alongside him. Maybe Torres is that man.

Voronin has just arrived and is eager to impress, let's wait and see Nick!

I was thinking this the other day, if he was only 6ft and did what he did - we would think he is sensational! My only reservation on Crouch now is his speed, he is so slow that he needs someone quick alongside him. Maybe Torres is that man.

He does need someone quick alongside him, or quick players breaking from midfield, that's right. It's a shame that Crouch doesn't have any pace but I can't help but think that has made him have to work on his close skills and hence why he is able to weave past three players in slow motion when he goes on a mazy one.

If someone's trademark moves are plucking shounder high balls out of the air with your instep with one touch or lifting the ball over players' heads and getting it on the other side of them then I reckon you're pretty well stocked in the touch department.

It may sound strange but one of the main reasons that I want Babel and Torres to be a real success for us is that it will mean we can keep the strikers we have, to complement them, as I like Crouch a lot and don't think I've ever wanted a player to be a success as much as I do with Kuyt.

I agree, Crouch is EASILY our most skilfull player but his lack of pace is a major issue. I think Crouch and Torres will definitely be our best strike force however i feel that Benitez prefares Kuyt, which is a shame because he's shite....Kuyt not Benitez.