You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool V Portsmouth Match Thread

fivetimes

God damn this thread is repetitive and the lack of insight is frightening. The last few pages have been "we need to play this system" "no, we need to play like this" and it's doing my head in.

All we need are players who when given a free chance from 10 yards, don't blaze the ball wide. We played just fine last season, we created more chances than everyone else, and outplayed the opposition in all but two or three matches, but we didn't finish them off.

We don't need a deep-lying striker or another wide-man. We need people to start taking chances. That's all.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mancs created far more chances than us last season. I've thought for a while that incidents some LFC-fans call chances nowadays are hardly even half-chances.

:thumbup: That's true. We were classing 40 yards shots as chances. That said though, our finishing is the worse I have seen of any Liverpool side in ages. We are so wasteful.

God damn this thread is repetitive and the lack of insight is frightening. The last few pages have been "we need to play this system" "no, we need to play like this" and it's doing my head in.

All we need are players who when given a free chance from 10 yards, don't blaze the ball wide. We played just fine last season, we created more chances than everyone else, and outplayed the opposition in all but two or three matches, but we didn't finish them off.

We don't need a deep-lying striker or another wide-man. We need people to start taking chances. That's all.

Well said that man.

But the players need to have the technical abillity to actually take the chances and provide the extra quality into the box. only Kewell, Torres & possilby Voronin posses both of these technical abillities

Just to add Babel might

The mancs created far more chances than us last season.

Oh really? Perhaps you'd like to point out the stats that back this up?

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=256196&lid=1533&clid=&channel=Football+Home&title=Opta+Stats

Man Utd: 552 shots (1st in league)

Liverpool: 540 shots (2nd in league)

12 more shots over the course of an entire season is not "far more" by any stretch of the imagination. It's just 2% more, in fact.

Their shot accuracy of 46% is, however, far more than our shot accuracy of 40%, because it means they had 254 shots on target and we only had 216. That's 17.5% more shots on target.

We create lots of chances. We don't take them. FACT.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=256196&lid=1533&clid=&channel=Football+Home&title=Opta+Stats

12 more shots over the course of an entire season is not "far more" by any stretch of the imagination. It's just 2% more, in fact.

Their shot accuracy of 46% is, however, far more than our shot accuracy of 40%, because it means they had 254 shots on target and we only had 216. That's 17.5% more shots on target.

What stats dont tell you is the quality of the shot or the chance from which the shot was taken, Utd's quality in the final third was vastly superior to us hence why they scored more.

What im trying to say is a Rooney tap in from fantastic work by Giggs, Scoles or Ronaldo counts as the same as a Sissoko shot from the edge of the area

Thats the problem which cost many points last season. Although only a friendly the recent game against Portsmouth is a just a fine example of having tons of chances a few good chances and scoring none.

Its only pre-season so i expect it to be sorted but we should be destroying teams like Portsmouth when we are dominating possesion like we did and it was quite visible that Rafa wasnt impressed.

Thats the problem which cost many points last season. Although only a friendly the recent game against Portsmouth is a just a fine example of having tons of chances a few good chances and scoring none.

Its only pre-season so i expect it to be sorted but we should be destroying teams like Portsmouth when we are dominating possesion like we did and it was quite visible that Rafa wasnt impressed.

From what I saw of the brief highlights we didnt miss what you would call sitters however Kuyt didnt score from some good chances, its up to us to create better quality chances for the strikers as well Saying that im sure Torres or Voronin would have scored one from all kuyts missed chances

Nick's bang on the money, a shot that's taken amongst a forest of players, having relatively little chance of resulting in a goal, using those stats, is equivalent to a one on one saved by the keeper. It would require a break down of the stats to give greater depth and to impart some semblance of meaning to them. Stats such as those given above should be used as a descriptive aid rather than a definitive one.

I think it's disingenuous to try and pretend that wild 30 yarders account for a significant proportion of the shots we missed. I remember us missing a lot of sitters last season. Some games we could have scored 6 or 7 but ended up losing 1-0.

Sure, a further breakdown of the stats would be nice, but I think the quality of our chances on the whole was fine. Our finishing just sucked.

Yeah, the general perception of these things is usually pretty accurate, and I think most people would say we were guilty of wasting far too many goalscoring chances last season. We were also uniformly shocking from set pieces, except for when Aurelio was in the side. What we need more than anything else is shooting practice and set-piece practice. The players we have now are good enough to do the rest.

I just find it more than a little disappointing to lose to Portsmouth.

We lost too many games last season as a result of profligacy in front of goal. Have we not cured that ill having spent so much money?

It's not the end of the world, but I expected an easy victory - the same expectation of victory that I harboured before numerous games in the early part of last season. I hope that this is where the similarity ends.

No?

There wouldnt be a problem if he put it as elequently as you have.

Agree with you that we wont know for sure until November time as to how good these players will be but my view at this moment in time is X and that view may change come November but I doubt it

Im quite happy to tolerate over people's point of view and would only request other people did the same

Nick, you go on as if signing mancini and quaresma are some sort of dream ticket which would automatically be a success here, even if we would have bought them, they might not have worked out anyway. Rafa was interested in mancini, but not at the price quoted, he obviously doesnt think hes worth 20m, same is probably true for quaresma.

We all know you like both players but seriously, do you have to harp on about them in almost every post? Its just not going to happen now.

Benayoun isnt an out an out winger, but will gives our midfield some creativety and unpredictability, and if he can recreate his form of the 06 fa cup final in a red shirt, will be quite an asset for us. Hes only played a few warm up games and has to be given a fair chance, yet you seem to have written him off already.

As for Babel. Obviously not the finished article, but has the potential to be one of the very best. Touch, technique, bags of pace, good with both feet, etc. Whilst i think the comparisons to a young henry are a bit premature, having viewed the compilations on him on you tube, I can see where that comparison comes from, and like henry hes spent some of his early career as a winger. Liverpool are paying alot of money for potential but if he stayed at ajax and shone in the league and europe this season, his price tag would have doubled by next season. He needs patience and support, not writing off, before hes even begun here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVg8k4jnGkU

i'm excited as hell for this upcoming season. something about last year hasn't come close to the expectations i have for this year. that's right, expec-fucking-tations. whether we get someone else before the transfer window, or in Jan, it's not going to change the energy i feel about this season.

if anything, we should be more concerned with our over all away form over the past couple seasons before we nit pick about who's on the wings. i just have a gut feeling we'll have a better Aug/Sept/early Oct than we've had in the past couple of years. It's going to rule. If not, then we can bitch.

i'm excited as hell for this upcoming season. something about last year hasn't come close to the expectations i have for this year. that's right, expec-fucking-tations. whether we get someone else before the transfer window, or in Jan, it's not going to change the energy i feel about this season.

if anything, we should be more concerned with our over all away form over the past couple seasons before we nit pick about who's on the wings. i just have a gut feeling we'll have a better Aug/Sept/early Oct than we've had in the past couple of years. It's going to rule. If not, then we can bitch.

Im optimistic but slightly guarded.

I think by the time our game is over on Friday we'll have a much better idea of how were gonna get on. I would expect Rafa to play what he considers to be his Villa team in the next two games

I would expect Rafa to play what he considers to be his Villa team in the next two games

The official site says the first game is a Liverpool XI so I wouldnt bet on it.

Feyenoord will be a very strong team because thats the big game of the tournament but I doubt it'll be the one that starts the first League game.

I would expect Rafa to play what he considers to be his Villa team in the next two games

i agree with you thats what Id like to see rafa do, but knowing rafa, he probably wont.

A big problem last yr was the team that started against sheff utd, hadnt started 1 pre season game as a unit, before that match, and we looked disjointed as a result.

Id like to see a settled side in the couple of matches prior to villa, to give them a chance to gel, etc.

The official site says the first game is a Liverpool XI so I wouldnt bet on it.

Feyenoord will be a very strong team because thats the big game of the tournament but I doubt it'll be the one that starts the first League game.

I think it makes a lot of sense to give the team thats going to play against villa a run out before that game, but Rafa like his predecessor likes to play games with the oponents manager and keep them guessing. This is very alien to the Shankly/Paisley motto of here is my best team and were gonna beat you whatever you do

I think it makes a lot of sense to give the team thats going to play against villa a run out before that game, but Rafa like his predecessor likes to play games with the oponents manager and keep them guessing. This is very alien to the Shankly/Paisley motto of here is my best team and were gonna beat you whatever you do

This goes back to what I said the other day about different eras. So what if something worked for Shanks and Paisley, that's not a guarantee it would work now is it?