You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield Out, Brand Name In

Plewggs

We can't sacrifice every part of our heritige and history for the sake of money.

Is right. Somebody said "What's in a name?" Your name is everything. It is what makes you recognisable and if names don't matter why do people change their name if they don't like it?

The name 'Anfield' is everything. Across the whole world of football and sport it represents everything fine about the game and sport. It represents excellence. And success.

Lovers of football want to be able to say they have played at or watched football at 'Anfield'. Because that means something. Saying "I went to the Coca-Cola Stadium" means fuck all and would probably mean somewhere else in 10 years anyway.

This is not sentiment. It is recognising the power and draw of the name 'Anfield'.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks to the extra money. If we can't win with the money currently available them shame on us. All those willing to give up the name 'Anfield' should ask themselves what the Great Man would do? Would he give up the name for a few more millions to add to the millions already at his disposal? Or would he fight with what he now had? - and bloody well win as well.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm sorry if this upsets anyone, but anyone willing to give up the name 'Anfield' and consign it to history is a corporate sell-out with no vision, no sense of history or tradition and plain fucking greedy.

you dont know if the name Anfield will be incorporated into the new stadium name or not

besides, Anfield is the local area, it's not being 'consigned to history', whatever they call the stadium everyone will still call it Anfield

and if the naming rights help pay for a 300m stadium and the total redevelopment of the Anfield area, im sure most people wont be arsed

you dont know if the name Anfield will be incorporated into the new stadium name or not

besides, Anfield is the local area, it's not being 'consigned to history', whatever they call the stadium everyone will still call it Anfield

and if the naming rights help pay for a 300m stadium and the total redevelopment of the Anfield area, im sure most people wont be arsed

You seem awfully sure of that. I don't think that will be the case at all. People will call it by its name, whatever that might be.

some fella on radio city said everton will get about 7million for naming rights on their new stadium! ha ha ha i'm suprised they'll get that much.

I think you misunderstood... Certain companies were offering everton £7m NOT to be associated with the new stadium or the club.

it's just a sponsorship thing though, the media and Sky will call it the 'whatever' stadium, i'd be surprised if that was to catch on.. it all depends on what the brand is and how synonymous it can be but I guarantee most locals and footie fans will still call it Anfield

a good example is the grand national, who have changed sponsors over the years, it used to be the Martel Grand National which when you say it sounds pretty good, a lot better than the John Smiths Grand National, as a result John Smiths won't become so synonymous.

people still call it the Grand National or 'The national' and have done for over a hundred years, that wont change with sponsorship, although Martel Grand national became a bit more synonymous because it sounds right

Just out of interest, and clearly hypothetically, if you are willing to sell naming rights would you also sell the club's name? The Yanks own that too so what is to stop them having us called 'Liverpool Pepsi Reds' for another £100million? Would that be alright also? Hypothetically.

Its going to happen so people myswell get used to it.

To say Shanks wouldnt agree with it is probably right but above all deep down he'd want us to win and if this helps us win then I think he could live with it.

Its a new ground, a new history will be made there. Its not the home we know and love it will evolve. It will be known as new Anfield anyway by me and the people I know so that will do for me.

Just out of interest, and clearly hypothetically, if you are willing to sell naming rights would you also sell the club's name? The Yanks own that too so what is to stop them having us called 'Liverpool Pepsi Reds' for another £100million? Would that be alright also? Hypothetically.

Obviously not, pack in with this balls.

no Chap, that would be daft and harmful to the brand and image of LFC, sponsorship is transient, the only examples of that are small clubs like Redbull salzburg or TNS where they might as well do it because they have very little other sources of income or recognition

even if the naming right were not sold should it be called Anfield?

It's not Anfield is it, it's a new stadium so shouldn't it have a new name and if there is going to be a new name why not get money for it. It doesnt dilute the history and past achievements of the club, what happens in the stadium is what counts not what it's called.

That would be pathetic. If all the other top clubs around the world can stick with the original names of their stadiums, then why can't we? We can't sacrifice every part of our heritige and history for the sake of money.

The big clubs who have built new stadiums in recent years have had their stadiums named. Bayern (Allianz arena) and Arsenal (Emirates) being the most obvious example.

Originally Posted by [b]rebel23[/b]
no Chap, that would be daft and harmful to the brand and image of LFC, sponsorship is transient, the only examples of that are small clubs like Redbull salzburg or TNS where they might as well do it because they have very little other sources of income or recognition

PSV is a big club, bigger than those mentioned anyway.....

That would be pathetic. If all the other top clubs around the world can stick with the original names of their stadiums, then why can't we? We can't sacrifice every part of our heritige and history for the sake of money.

Becasue they haven't moved to a new staium thats why.

Lets see what Valencia call theres and Juventus as they're moving as well aren't they?