You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield Out, Brand Name In

Plewggs

According to today’s Daily Star (cough), Liverpool are considering ditching the name Anfield and selling the naming rights for their new stadium for £100m.

Sad if it’s true.

If this is the way forward who do you hope will buy the naming rights?

I like chocs and sweets, so I hope it's Smarties.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s the way forward. If it helps fund the stadium so be it. We can't afford sentiment in this case. We have to move with the times (desperately searching for more clichés)

We know what out stadium will be about and the name doesn't matter to me. I will call it what I want. My mates who support Arsenal call their new stadium Ashburton Grove most of the time anyway. So take the cheque and run, provided it’s not a shite sponsor.

It's not great news if true but if we struck a deal similar to the one Arse have where it's called the KFC Mega-Bucket or whatever for 10 years and then retains it's proper name it wouldn't be so bad.

Ace.

It’s the way forward. If it helps fund the stadium so be it. We can't afford sentiment in this case. We have to move with the times (desperately searching for more clichés)

We know what out stadium will be about and the name doesn't matter to me. I will call it what I want. My mates who support Arsenal call their new stadium Ashburton Grove most of the time anyway. So take the cheque and run, provided it’s not a shite sponsor.

i agree with that, as long as it's an embarrassing name like Pizza Hut park in America. what's in a name anyway.

According to today’s Daily Star (cough), Liverpool are considering ditching the name Anfield and selling the naming rights for their new stadium for £100m.

Sad if it’s true.

Of course it's true. Parry said as much when Arsenal's deal went public long ago.

im not overly keen on the idea -

On the one hand a football club is a business and as such need to make revenue from any source available even if this does mean loosing some of your traditions.However i don't think this should come at the price of whoring the stadium name out to Corportate giants such as Virgin or Mcshit.

its laughable that a football club which prides itself on such tradition and history would be willing to give up a name like "anfield" for some Yankee dollars.

You cant put a price on tradition...

not too bothered, it's an expensive development and the yanks will want it paid for as quickly as possible. everyone will just call it anfield anyway

some possibles:

Sony Stadium

Vodafone Stadium

Adidas (Anfield?) Arena

Carlsberg Stadium (probably the best stadium in the world..)

Budweiser Stadium

Heineken Stadium

Amstel Arena

Mastercard Stadium

Panasonic Stadium

Philips Stadium

Ford Stadium

Toyota Stadium

Hyundai Stadium

these are all companies that have been involved in football sponsorship before (i think)