You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would You Take This Scenario?

Faustus

Realism?

Fuck me, when did being a football supporter entail realism? We are a good enough side to win the league this season and that belief won't leave me until we are 25 points off the top at Christmas.

And my point was people SETTLING for 3rd is unacceptable.

No-one is settling for 3rd now though. It's thinking ahead to the end of the season and asking whether if we win a trophy and finish third but within a few points of the top whether it would be an acceptable season.

Rafa won La Liga with far less money to spend than he had here and against Madrid and Barcelona teams which were far better than Man Ure's and Chelsea's current teams. It amazes me that people still think 3rd place is something we should be happy about... for fuck sake - get behind him and lets see the championship return to its rightful home. No 19 is possible - so dont be so fucking negative.

Rafa won La Liga with far less money to spend than he had here and against Madrid and Barcelona teams which were far better than Man Ure's and Chelsea's current teams. It amazes me that people still think 3rd place is something we should be happy about... for fuck sake - get behind him and lets see the championship return to its rightful home. No 19 is possible - so dont be so fucking negative.

I'm sorry but that simply isn't true

When Valencia won la liga in 2002, Madrid were 'touted' as the best team in Europe - winning the Champions league kind of proved that to be correct - this was the beginning of the galacticos and the team they had back then was unbeatable... except for Valencia ofcourse, when they did it again in 2004 Barcelona were running wild and only team to stop them winning the title?...

O'Shea and Fletcher played alot of games for Man Utd's title winning team of last season... your telling me they would get into either of Madrid's of Barca's past teams? I think not. Ronaldo was the reason Utd won the league last season. Granted Giggs/Scholes/Rooney chipped in heavily but to say it was a great team would be wide of the mark.

No I wouldn't be happy with 3rd, unless we won the Champions League again. I think we can win the title, but it depends on injuries, and the players have to believe they can do it. I don't think our team is weaker than Man Utd or Chelsea. We just have to be more consistent and improve our away record. All these people going on about Man Utd, they didn't win the league the previous 3 years. So why can't we do it? I will remain optimistic as pre-season is the time to dream about winning everything.

When Valencia won la liga in 2002, Madrid were 'touted' as the best team in Europe - winning the Champions league kind of proved that to be correct - this was the beginning of the galacticos and the team they had back then was unbeatable... except for Valencia ofcourse, when they did it again in 2004 Barcelona were running wild and only team to stop them winning the title?...

O'Shea and Fletcher played alot of games for Man Utd's title winning team of last season... your telling me they would get into either of Madrid's of Barca's past teams? I think not. Ronaldo was the reason Utd won the league last season. Granted Giggs/Scholes/Rooney chipped in heavily but to say it was a great team would be wide of the mark.

The truth is that both Real Madrid and Barca are much stronger teams than they were in the two seasons that Valencia won the title, the first one Real Madrid basically threw the title away, they imploded in the second half of the season with the old galatico diputes and the second time Barca were a club in transition.

Liverpool closing the gap on Manu & Chelsea is a much harder task than Valencia had

I would only take 3rd if we were to win the Champions League again, plus, it would have to be a very close title race involving us for me to be happy about things.

This season just depends on how Torres and Babel perform. If they really can take our game to another level then we are in with a shout at the title.

Who doesn't want us to win a trophy? That's a given, surely. The two things I really want to see next season are much better attacking football and a genuine title challenge. The latter, for me, means still being in with an outside shout with a month to go. If we don't win the league, it's largely immaterial whether we finish second, third or fourth. I just want us to have a convincing league campaign.

No i wouldnt.

I think Liverpool football club is alot stronger than last season.

Its been far to long for one reason or another that we havent won the league.

The squad is good enough to match the top teams,

I think minimum 3rd spot will be a target for rafa laid out to him.

Strong champions league spot again.

But the underlining wish from everyone is the league.

Thats the most important for me, Get that flammin trophy FINALLY.

“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.” Bill Shankly

"At Liverpool we never accept second best." Kenny Dalglish

At this moment in time why accept anything less than winning the league?

Because times have changed. When Kenny said what he did, it was a little less than 19 years since we'd won the league.

As for Shanks, there's quite a bit of difference between what your aim should be and what is acceptable. I too think we should aim to win the league, but I don't think it's unacceptable to finish third. The competition is far too tough for such a childish statement.

The competition is far too tough for such a childish statement.

I couldn't disagree more. I think that once fans start discussing 3rd place as a decent season, when we haven't played a league game yet, then we become a mediocre team.

When Kenny said that we don't accept second best, it was a little less than 19 years since we'd won the league - but for me that just makes his statement even more important today. I agree the competition is tough, but one team is going to be the best and I'd bet it isn't going to be the one whose fans are happy with anything less.

(OK, realistically, new players need time to adapt, Rafa building for the future, young players with huge potential, etc - even so, I'll not contemplate second best until the maths says otherwise)