You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would You Take This Scenario?

Faustus

I wouldn't take it at the start of the season, but at the end of the season I'd draw satisfaction from our progress if that were to happen.

At the start of the season I'm filled with hope for no.19. This summer that hope is even stronger than usual for the season ahead. So, no deal. I'd rather the hope I have now than what is hypothetically offered.

I want number 19 this year and even though I think we lack a couple of players in certain areas (Would have loved to see Alves, Quaresma and Milito or Vila), there is no way I am willing to give in before the start of the new Campaign... I honestly believe we have a good chance this year, as the scum and chavs will focus on Europe, the scum are in trouble if they get injuries at the back and Chelsea will miss Dogpoo and Essien when they will play in the African nations cup.

An edited quote from Churchill to cheer you up and get the optimism back:

"We shall not lose or draw. We shall go on from strength to strength. We shall fight in Europe, we shall fight in the league and the cups, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our Fortress, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight at Old Toilet, we shall fight at Stamford Bridge, we shall fight at the Pit and at the Emirates, we shall fight in Moscow in May . We shall never surrender!"

I want number 19 this year and even though I think we lack a couple of players in certain areas (Would have loved to see Alves, Quaresma and Milito or Vila), there is no way I am willing to give in before the start of the new Campaign... I honestly believe we have a good chance this year, as the scum and chavs will focus on Europe, the scum are in trouble if they get injuries at the back and Chelsea will miss Dogpoo and Essien when they will play in the African nations cup.

An edited quote from Churchill to cheer you up and get the optimism back:

"We shall not lose or draw. We shall go on from strength to strength. We shall fight in Europe, we shall fight in the league and the cups, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our Fortress, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight at Old Toilet, we shall fight at Stamford Bridge, we shall fight at the Pit and at the Emirates, we shall fight in Moscow in May . We shall never surrender!"

With the state of the pitch at old toilet a couple of years ago, you would've actually got away with "we'll fight them on the beaches".

A trophy next season and 3rd place in the league, but we mount a decent title challenge and finish less than 9 points behind the eventual winners.

I'd rather finish second and within 4 pints and get to some semi's and maybe a final*

*In fact finishing as runner up and losing a final would see these boards in utter meltdown, but you know what I mean.

We should never start a season accepting that 3rd place is an achievement.

1st is 1st, 2nd (or 3rd) is nowhere.

That's ideal for you though. Then there is a big chance that you can fucking winge about us not being where we should be.

That's ideal for you though. Then there is a big chance that you can fucking winge about us not being where we should be.

I don't expect us to finish higher than 3rd, setting it as a target when the season hasn't even started is the mind set of a defeatist.

Because we're Liverpool Football Club! We don't want anything other than 1st place.

If 3rd is the limit of your ambition then you need to take a good look at yourself.

The question was why third is unacceptable, not whether you want to win the league or not.

Because we're Liverpool Football Club! We don't want anything other than 1st place.

If 3rd is the limit of your ambition then you need to take a good look at yourself.

Its realism based on the last 17 years numbnuts, not lack of ambition.

Everyone wants to win the fucking league, but wanting it doesn't automatically make it so.

2nd place max of 6 points behind winners is least we should be doing. I'm not bothered on any other trophy. I just want to see good progress in the league. I want no. 19 ASAP

hobo.jpg

Realism?

Fuck me, when did being a football supporter entail realism? We are a good enough side to win the league this season and that belief won't leave me until we are 25 points off the top at Christmas.

And my point was people SETTLING for 3rd is unacceptable.

Realism?

Fuck me, when did being a football supporter entail realism? We are a good enough side to win the league this season and that belief won't leave me until we are 25 points off the top at Christmas.

And my point was people SETTLING for 3rd is unacceptable.

You say settling, I say its a reasoned answer to the op's question. Is it unacceptable to consider we don't have a strong enough squad yet for winning league titles?