You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen to the Mancs?

The Chief

got to say owen leavin liverpool was the biggest mistake he will ever make but i think he always thought he could come back an to be honest id like to see him back. I am sure he would get 15-20 prem goals. but i do think he is career orientated an would prob go to any of the top 4 clubs to get the fuck away from newcastle which i dont like

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loon no i think not i put it another way shall i .Owen is not fit to tie bootlaces of proper liverpool legends i.e sir roger hunt ian rush robbie fowler who all by the way would die for liverpool .you can add aldridge as well to that.They put there all into wearing the badge , now short ass i think not everyone who supported liverpool knew the midget would do one if he got better offer. IMO anyone who would welcome him back needs the psychiatrist.

For your information, Rush went off to play for Juventus, and Fowler wouldn't keep himself fit and focussed for Liverpool, never mind die for us. They are two of my heroes though. Owen went to Madrid, but not before winning us plentry of matches on his own, not least an FA Cup. It's not a case of welcoming him back, it's a case of having an objective view about his contribution to our club. Get a grip.

For your information, Rush went off to play for Juventus, and Fowler wouldn't keep himself fit and focussed for Liverpool, never mind die for us. They are two of my heroes though. Owen went to Madrid, but not before winning us plentry of matches on his own, not least an FA Cup. It's not a case of welcoming him back, it's a case of having an objective view about his contribution to our club. Get a grip.

Owen never won the final on his own. To say he did is simplistic in the extreme.

You know what the man means.

I don't.

macca put in a brilliant cross, babble outmuscled adams but drops to owen 1-1. two very important contributions for the first owen goal.

berger kicks the ball into space the rest is vintage owen

but up until then the heroics of steph and sami keep liverpool in the game repelling wave after wave of arsenal attacks. owen won the fa cup on his own? like fuck did he.

Exactly, without Henchoz in goal we would've been fucked long before Mickey scored.

I'd like to mention a certain left sided midfielder of the Czech Republic who set up Owen with an exquisite fifty yard pass from just outside our box. Just to kill the notion Owen won us the game on his own, like.

Loon no i think not i put it another way shall i .Owen is not fit to tie bootlaces of proper liverpool legends i.e sir roger hunt ian rush robbie fowler who all by the way would die for liverpool .you can add aldridge as well to that.They put there all into wearing the badge , now short ass i think not everyone who supported liverpool knew the midget would do one if he got better offer. IMO anyone who would welcome him back needs the psychiatrist.

I agree he isnt as well liked as Sir Rog, Rushie, God or Aldo and he did screw us over when he went to Madrid but he has had his come uppance, one when we won the Champions League and then the FA Cup and second when he wakes up every morning and knows he plays for Newcastle United.

Owen never won the final on his own. To say he did is simplistic in the extreme.

I know, but I'm responding to someone who believes an assortment of our past heroes would die for the badge. I'm not impressed with the way Owen went about things either, but you have to put these things into perspective. Owen won't be coming back while Rafa's here - he just doesn't want him - so I don't know where all the bile is coming from. Owen did a great job for us while he was here, and if people can't see beyond their hatred to acknowledge that fact, then their opinion isn't worth bothering with.

I know, but I'm responding to someone who believes an assortment of our past heroes would die for the badge. I'm not impressed with the way Owen went about things either, but you have to put these things into perspective. Owen won't be coming back while Rafa's here - he just doesn't want him - so I don't know where all the bile is coming from. Owen did a great job for us while he was here, and if people can't see beyond their hatred to acknowledge that fact, then their opinion isn't worth bothering with.

I haven't got a lot of time for him but I would agree with that.

Owen didn't win the cup on his own, but he was definitely the defining factor. If he hadn't been playing we would've lost the game.

As with Hyypia & Henchoz. I know what you are saying Brownie, that he had a massive impact on the game, but take away Paddy Berger and the chance might never come for the second goal. It's all guesswork once you step outside of what actually did happen.

*applause*

There's a very boring and predictable one-eyed opinion about players on most Liverpool websites:

If Rafa likes them, they're fucking ace.

If Rafa doesn't, or apppears to harbour doubts, or whatever, then they're actually all rubbish and even those with stats and trophies to make that assertion look fucking retarded (ie Owen) are nowhere near as good as everyone says.

It's very tiresome.

Guest FarmersBoy
Once Newcastle made their bid, we would have had to match it in order to sign him, which would have meant paying virtually twice what we sold him for - it wasn't Owen's fault that we (quite rightly) didn't entertain the idea.

Strong but wrong. At that time, Real knew he wasn't going to be playing for their first team (as I recall they'd just signed the new South American wunderkind to replace him?) and they wanted rid. Liverpool were prepared to go to £10M - which is more than Real paid, so a £2M profit. AND, on wages of £100K a week it would have saved them a lot of money on a year's wages. So if that had been the only bid in town, Real would surely have taken it. But it wasn't. And the only reason it wasn't is that Owen didn't outright refuse to sign for Newcastle. Owen acknowledged this much in his column in the Times... that Benitez told him to tough it out so they could sign him for a decent sum and Owen's feeling was that he couldn't take the risk of doing that in case it went tits up, because, in his own words "in a World year, I need to be playing regularly". I'm not making this up - this is from Owen's own column - so it's he who admitted this was the situation.

GRADY - Even in his prime, Owen NEVER EVER scored 20 league goals in a season.

As with Hyypia & Henchoz. I know what you are saying Brownie, that he had a massive impact on the game, but take away Paddy Berger and the chance might never come for the second goal. It's all guesswork once you step outside of what actually did happen.

Hyypia and Henchoz are there to prevent you from losing more than anything though Stu. Owen won us the match. Of course others contributed - it's a team game after all.

But Michael Owen was the defining factor in the game. It was a good ball from Berger, but I don't think many people expected it to end in a goal.

Strong but wrong. At that time, Real knew he wasn't going to be playing for their first team (as I recall they'd just signed the new South American wunderkind to replace him?) and they wanted rid. Liverpool were prepared to go to £10M - which is more than Real paid, so a £2M profit. AND, on wages of £100K a week it would have saved them a lot of money on a year's wages. So if that had been the only bid in town, Real would surely have taken it. But it wasn't. And the only reason it wasn't is that Owen didn't outright refuse to sign for Newcastle. Owen acknowledged this much in his column in the Times... that Benitez told him to tough it out so they could sign him for a decent sum and Owen's feeling was that he couldn't take the risk of doing that in case it went tits up, because, in his own words "in a World year, I need to be playing regularly". I'm not making this up - this is from Owen's own column - so it's he who admitted this was the situation.

GRADY - Even in his prime, Owen NEVER EVER scored 20 league goals in a season.

He got 15-20 though (eighteen to be exact) which is what he said...

Hyypia and Henchoz are there to prevent you from losing more than anything though Stu. Owen won us the match. Of course others contributed - it's a team game after all.

But Michael Owen was the defining factor in the game. It was a good ball from Berger, but I don't think many people expected it to end in a goal.

But without Hyypia Owen doesn't win the match, he gets a consolation goal.

It's like claiming that I won the game for us last week with all my ace goals, when we both know, that in reality without the rest of the team, I wouldn't have had the chances in the first place. You, Dave and the Kaiser are Hyypia, Henchoz and Berger for the course of this debate: your move.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

It's like claiming that I won the game for us last week with all my ace goals, when we both know, that in reality without the rest of the team, I wouldn't have had the chances in the first place. You, Dave and the Kaiser are Hyypia, Henchoz and Berger for the course of this debate: your move.

Which one was I?

It's far harder stopping goals than it is scoring them Stu, you know that. That's why strikers cost as much as they do.

You only have to look at our current side for the proof - there's no-one better at stopping goals than us but we're far from the best team because we don't score enough.

I don't even know why this is a debate.

Who would you say was the Man of the Match in that cup final?

Which one was I?

Take your pick Hombre. It was just a cunning move whereby to get out of check Brownie had to concede I am right or he has to hail me as a one man winning machine carrying our four. A plan so cunning it is going to Harvard in September to do a thesis on being cunning.

It's far harder stopping goals than it is scoring them Stu, you know that. That's why strikers cost as much as they do.

You only have to look at our current side for the proof - there's no-one better at stopping goals than us but we're far from the best team because we don't score enough.

I don't even know why this is a debate.

Who would you say was the Man of the Match in that cup final?

Its not a debate, monty is wrong. Very wrong.