You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How Sad Is That

Red Nick

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not really. Hardly any curry places. Ther is one OK one in Uppsala and one shit one. That's with a population of 150,000+. There are a couple of good ones in Stockholm. I make my own.

Let's really GF this up a bit:

Your post made me think of all the stuff you must miss out on living abroad. I bet there are loads of things that I completely take for granted now that I'd really miss if I lived abroad. Obviously there's loads of ace stuff to compensate, but I'd miss being able to go for a curry. Not that I do it all the time, mind; it's just that I can if I want to. What else do you miss out on, James?

Let's really GF this up a bit:

Your post made me think of all the stuff you must miss out on living abroad. I bet there are loads of things that I completely take for granted now that I'd really miss if I lived abroad. Obviously there's loads of ace stuff to compensate, but I'd miss being able to go for a curry. Not that I do it all the time, mind; it's just that I can if I want to. What else do you miss out on, James?

I get brought things over quite a lot but it can be irritating if you get an urge for something but can't just go an buy it (see the jamaican ginger cake thread on the GF for example). But the things I miss most are, in no particular order:

being able to go to the match easily

chippies

curry houses

off licences (swedish system takes some getting used to)

pubs

i get cravings for english stuff now and again but not as much as I used to. I think fish and chips is the main one though.

If I moved back I would have a list of things I miss from here though, I have become quite naturalised.

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

You all know me. You know what I do for a living. I'll go out and get this bird for you. He's a bad one and it's not like goin' down the pond chasing blue-gills and tommy-cods. This is a fish that can swallow a man whole. A little shakin', a little tenderizing and down ya' go.You gotta get this fellow and get him quick. If you do, it'll bring a lot of tourist business just to see him and you've got your business back on a paying basis. A shark of that size is no pleasure and I value my neck at a hell of a lot more'n 3,000 bucks. I'll find him for three. But I'll kill him for ten.

When we get them silly bastards down in that rock pile, it'll be some fun, they'll wish their fathers had never met their mothers. When they start takin' their bottoms out and slamming into them rocks, boy! Get away from there, ya goddamn fool, you! What's the matter with you? You wanna swamp us, ya crazy son of a bitch?

My work here is done.

Hurrah!

So my king died, and my brothers died, barely a year ago. Long I pondered my king's cryptic talk of victory. But time has proven him wise, for from free Greek to free Greek, the word was spread that bold Leonidas and his 300, so far from home, laid down their lives... not just for Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds. Now, here on this ragged patch of earth called Plataea, Persian hordes face obliteration! Just there, the barbarians gather, sheer terror gripping tight their hearts with icy fingers, knowing full well what merciless horrors they suffered at the swords and spears of 300. Yet they stare now across the plain at 10,000 Spartans commanding 30,000 free Greeks! Ho! The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek. This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny, and usher in a future brighter than anything we could imagine. Give thanks, men, to Leonidas and the brave 300! To victory!

Do you have Rebirth, the program that emulates one of those chaps? I think it is a 338.

Ohhhh yeah.

Have you used Reason (by the same Swedish chaps, Propellerhead of Stockholm) alongside it too? Ahh. Some of the noises you can eke out of that combination. Brings a tear to a glass eye, it does.

Rebirth. http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

Reason http://www.propellerheads.se/

The most fun you can have with your ears. FACT.