You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crappiest place you've been to in the UK

Harry Squatter

Where is the shittiest place you have been to in the UK? - Mine is Croydon, unfortunately I have to go there for work every so often and it is one of the dullest places i've ever set eyes on. Full of 60's architechtural monstrosities, the people are miserable, lots of scallies, full of black and asian gangsta wannabees who walk round like they are straight outta Compton saying "innit" every 5 seconds. No decent nightlife or anything.

Yep, Croydon is shit, the (industrial) Midlands is to be generally avoided, Teeside, Ipswich, Plymouth are all awful, Southampton, Luton and Bedford are fucking shite and there are parts of Kent and Essex which are dog shite.

My top choice goes to Birmingham though.

I vote for Birmingham too.

Where is the shittiest place you have been to in the UK? - Mine is Croydon, unfortunately I have to go there for work every so often and it is one of the dullest places i've ever set eyes on. Full of 60's architechtural monstrosities, the people are miserable, lots of scallies, full of black and asian gangsta wannabees who walk round like they are straight outta Compton saying "innit" every 5 seconds. No decent nightlife or anything.

I'm thinking of applying for a job there. Its a £700 a month rise so I'm being pulled. I currently work on Brighton Beach. Its a toughie.

I did a gig with the band in Croydon @ The Walkabout back in January, first time I’ve ever been there. Spent a few hours in the city and to say I was glad to get away is an understatement.

My hometown is probably the worst, Gloucester is one of those weird places I can never wait to get back to (to see friends and me and Mrs Jnp’s family) but when we’re there we can’t wait to hit the road and get back home.

You really have to go there to see what I mean, but there’s nothing there. Plus the city isn’t being developed at all and is full of chavs and gangs acting tits.

I was born there but I hate the place, no wonder I have lived away since I was 17. The thing is EVERYONE in the city mostly feels the same. But not many people have excuses to pack up and leave to pastures new.

I'm thinking of applying for a job there. Its a £700 a month rise so I'm being pulled. I currently work on Brighton Beach. Its a toughie.

Train service is good, so commute, don't live there.

A mate was telling me when Croydon got voted 2nd in the Idler crap towns book, the Council put forward a rebuttal.

it went something along the lines of Croydon is not such a bad place it has this and that going for it ..., the problems experienced in our public buildings and car parks have been over exagerated. There have only been 3 muggings, a stabbing and 2 rapes in our car parks this year. (It was dated about the 15th of Jan)

Train service is good, so commute, don't live there.

A mate was telling me when Croydon got voted 2nd in the Idler crap towns book, the Council put forward a rebuttal.

it went something along the lines of Croydon is not such a bad place it has htis and that going for it ..., the problems experienced in our public buildings and car parks have been over exagerated. There have only been 3 muggings, a stabbing and 2 rapes in our car parks this year. (It was dated about the 15th of Jan)

I wasnt planning to! Im being torn. But being able to afford two new PS3s a month is pulling me. Maybe i can get Stu to make me a special train.

What is your occupation if you don't mind me asking?

DBA(ish)

Blackpool, utterly souless, decaying, an efigy of better days. filled with gangs of pissed-up fat slags and scottish louts on stag weekends.

Now almost exclusively populated by Eastern European workers as well.

The fact its future hinged on a casiono development shows how clueless its leaders are as well.

Grim, suicidal place with too many broken light-bulbs.

Bridgwater in Somerset is full of boy-racing, smack-taking, work-dodging, brain-dead inbreds.

When I lived in Weston-Super-Mare for a time, Bridgwater was looked down upon, and as such I feel that this alone qualifies it as "worst place in the UK", long before the fumes from the cellophane factory hit you.

I have never been very keen on Coventry, although I would put forward the case that Birmingham is actually a fairly decent place, and anyone who hasn't visited in the last few years could do a lot worse.

I wasnt planning to! Im being torn. But being able to afford two new PS3s a month is pulling me. Maybe i can get Stu to make me a special train.

If its about the money do it.

I could get more being up that way, but its not what I want.

What puts me off is the idea of waiting about for then cramming on the train for an hour of a morning and in the evening.

When I go up to London for courses and meetings I see loads of lads getting on in the evening with sandwiches, standing up eating their dinner. It just doesn't appeal for me and its no way to live for a few extra grand a year.

Bridgwater in Somerset is full of boy-racing, smack-taking, work-dodging, brain-dead inbreds.

When I lived in Weston-Super-Mare for a time, Bridgwater was looked down upon, and as such I feel that this alone qualifies it as "worst place in the UK", long before the fumes from the cellophane factory hit you.

yep, its a shit hole.

That smell from the celophane facotry is overpowering. You can smell it on the M5.

The only time I went there, there was two groups of lads fighting outside banks and shops at different ends of the high street. Okay Friday evening not such an uncommon sight, but at about noon on a Wednesday?

Plymouth's a good call. Shithole. Should never have rebuilt it. In '81 I was at Plymouth bus station and this woman from Truro told me her husband hadn't wanted her to travel so far north in case she got mixed up in the riots.So I'm guessing that there are bits of Cornwall that are slower and more small minded but as I only ever went there to see bands at St Austell Coliseum I have fond memories.

Bury St Edmonds looked bloody dull when I was there a few months back. Small towns like Rotherham and Peterborough serve no useful purpose as far as I can see and Holyhead is a horrible place to have to wait for a boat. The old rundown mill towns around Mansfield and Worksop always have me reaching for the internal door lock in the car.

Plymouth's a good call. Shithole. Should never have rebuilt it. In '81 I was at Plymouth bus station and this woman from Truro told me her husband hadn't wanted her to travel so far north in case she got mixed up in the riots.So I'm guessing that there are bits of Cornwall that are slower and more small minded but as I only ever went there to see bands at St Austell Coliseum I have fond memories.

There are Cath, lots of them (Im half cornish). Bunch of weirdos.

Barking.

A flat, featureless, tree-free dump where every pavement is covered in dog turds.

Lucky visitors slip on the shite and break their legs before being ambulanced to safety.

The unlucky catch malaria from the flies.

It’s 28 Days Later without hope of salvation.

Worked there once, never again.