You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crappiest place you've been to in the UK

Harry Squatter

I was surprised by the number of absolute shitholes there are in the Lake District. A place I think called Whitehaven stood out as particularly hideous. No amenities, just a bomb site of an ugly estate. Absolute worst of both worlds. 
Inner cities are sometimes horrific but at least interesting stuff goes on there, this place was just horrible.

I also went to St Helens the other week on a Sunday morning and it was particularly grim. Boarded up shops, zombie like locals sat drinking Frosty Jacks on the floor in the middle of the square and the whole place just seemed dirty. Horrible.

• Upvote 1

I’m momentarily redefining crappy. Some of the more salubrious parts of London are crappy, mainly because they are full of cunts. This is particularly true of the areas frequented by the younger cunt element. 

More in keeping with the spirit of the thread, Wakefield is becoming more of a shit hole as time goes by. I don’t think it’s yet quite at the levels of ‘crap’ some of the other places mentioned, but it’s certainly not going through it’s finest era. 

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m momentarily redefining crappy. Some of the more salubrious parts of London are crappy, mainly because they are full of cunts. This is particularly true of the areas frequented by the younger cunt element. 

More in keeping with the spirit of the thread, Wakefield is becoming more of a shit hole as time goes by. I don’t think it’s yet quite at the levels of ‘crap’ some of the other places mentioned, but it’s certainly not going through it’s finest era. 

Knottingley is like an immersive Ken Loach play 

1 minute ago, Ken Robber said:

Knottingley is like an immersive Ken Loach play 

That’s a good way of describing it. I was over that way yesterday. By that, I mean, I skirted the edges on my way somewhere else. A strategy I’d recommend for anyone finding themselves in the vicinity. 

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Was in Rhyl the other week. Jesus I felt like there was a giant black cloud over my head. Saw a young fella pushing a pram with about five young kids in his wake all fighting and shouting. He genuinely looked dead inside. People actually go on holiday there. I’m not sneering at this because it’s all some people can afford, it just depresses me.

Told this story on here before but it still amuses/horrifies me so I’ll tell it again. 

We went on a caravan holiday in Towyn years ago and on the day we got there we went to the Asda in Rhyl for some shopping. There was a couple in front of us with two small kids at the checkout. When all their shopping had been scanned (including numerous crates of ale) the girl on the till told them that the money they’d handed over wasn’t enough. They didn’t have any more, so instead of returning just one crate of cider or something they instantly snatched the magazines out of their kids hands and handed them straight back. Sly bastards. I couldn’t believe it. 

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Told this story on here before but it still amuses/horrifies me so I’ll tell it again. 

We went on a caravan holiday in Towyn years ago and on the day we got there we went to the Asda in Rhyl for some shopping. There was a couple in front of us with two small kids at the checkout. When all their shopping had been scanned (including numerous crates of ale) the girl on the till told them that the money they’d handed over wasn’t enough. They didn’t have any more, so instead of returning just one crate of cider or something they instantly snatched the magazines out of their kids hands and handed them straight back. Sly bastards. I couldn’t believe it. 

Good, kids get too much these days, mine included. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Some people don't deserve kids. They are a privilege,not a right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Geoff Woade said:

I was surprised by the number of absolute shitholes there are in the Lake District. A place I think called Whitehaven stood out as particularly hideous. No amenities, just a bomb site of an ugly estate. Absolute worst of both worlds. 
Inner cities are sometimes horrific but at least interesting stuff goes on there, this place was just horrible.

I also went to St Helens the other week on a Sunday morning and it was particularly grim. Boarded up shops, zombie like locals sat drinking Frosty Jacks on the floor in the middle of the square and the whole place just seemed dirty. Horrible.

Whitehaven is an absolute dump.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

At least the kids could get shitfaced on cider after school. Or nursery.

• Like 1

Had relations who lived in Accrington and while they were great , the place itself was awful.Similar to CH's comment re Rhyl , it had a permanent black cloud hovering over it as you approached on the M65 and the houses generally were very poor ( there were some nicer , older areas ),.The town centre just seemed to be a handy destination for fights between visiting Blackburn and Burnley lads. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Parkhead area. Rough as fuck round there. 

Had a lot of family who stayed in Tollcross. Whilst the residents could never be descibed as well heeled, I never felt threatened and people were mostly sound. Very little in the way of commnity facilties though.

10 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

Had a lot of family who stayed in Tollcross. Whilst the residents could never be descibed as well heeled, I never felt threatened and people were mostly sound. Very little in the way of commnity facilties though.

More rough as fuck to look at. London Road and the estate to the left of the stadium entrance that side. As with most rough areas, the people are usually salt of the earth for the most part. Rough round the edges but diamonds in the mud as Gerry Cinnamon puts it. 

Ferguslie Park in Paisley (around 30 years ago) was the most deprived place I have ever been. What few local shops there were, were boarded up but stiil open, one even had a bouncer on the door!!

Burnt out cars all over the place, rubbish everywhere, absolutely nothing in the way of civic amenities.

They spent an absolute fortune knocking down a load of the older housing stock but failed yet again to provide a focal point for the community. Everyone in faux shock that it failed again!

4 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Port Talbot. Makes Middlesborough look like Beverly Hills.

Think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. 

Whilst going through a very lean spell after splitting with the ex wife I was shagging a monster who lived in Ebbw Vale. 

I’d go across on the train for a night, get pissed, fuck her and then the next morning whilst suffering with a horrendous hangover, questioning my life choices sit waiting at the train station looking at the barren wasteland and think ‘if I did live here I would top myself’. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. 

Whilst going through a very lean spell after splitting with the ex wife I was shagging a monster who lived in Ebbw Vale. 

I’d go across on the train for a night, get pissed, fuck her and then the next morning whilst suffering with a horrendous hangover, questioning my life choices sit waiting at the train station looking at the barren wasteland and think ‘if I did live here I would top myself’. 

Sounds horrendous.  Have you got her number?

• Upvote 4