You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tunes that are just fucking ace.....

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

There are still good artists about but they are few & far between & you need to sift though fathoms of shite to find them.

The shock factor has gone now too, there's only 12 notes in the western scale & if someone turned up sounding like Little Richard or Billie Holiday, you'd just think it was a send up.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Love it. (Love the Slade version too.)

Imagine being a middle class white American parent in the 1950s, so certain that everything in your world would be fine as long as everybody knew their place and people listened to Perry Como and Alma Cogan...

... and then you hear this.

My favourite Little Richard tune

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah I agree angry. I  I was watching these celebs singing for charity this week, all of them dull as fucking dish water (Liam Payne, Gary Barlow do me a favour) when you put them up against the era of Little Richard, Sinatra, Elvis, Otis, Aretha, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, James Brown  etc  

Not only were they musical geniuses, they all had a massive larger than life character to match.

In the words of Jim Royle " James Blunt my arse"

Try this thought experiment.

There are several hundred singles - ones that you're not familiar with - from a year ending with a 5 and you have to sort them.  You would have absolutely no bother hearing the difference between a song from 1955 and one from 1965 or distinguishing between 1985 and 1995, because for a few decades music just kept developing and changing.  Then something happened; now you'd struggle to tell the difference between a 2005 song and one from 2015.  It's not just that we got old, it's that mainstream music in the 21st century stagnated.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

@Tony Moanero

A lass I used to knock about with back in the 90’s sent me this earlier, saying she thought of me when playing it.

She appears to be openly-accusing me of being a nonce, but fuck me, check out Nicks in it.

She would have been about 33 or 34 then. Smoking hot, mate.

• Upvote 1