You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best character in the Blackadders...

RedinSweden

Which is the best character in the Blackadders?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best character in the Blackadders?

• The Blackadder - Prince Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh (I)
    • King Richard IV of England (I)
    • Baldrick (I)
    • Percy (I)
    • Lord Edmund Blackadder (II)
    • Lord Percy Percy (II)
    • Baldrick (II)
    • Queen Elizabeth I
    • Lord Melchett
    • Nursie
    • Edmund Blackadder, Esq, Butler to the Prince (III)
    • George, Prince of Wales, Prince Regent
    • Baldrick (III)
    • Mrs. Miggins
    • Capt. Edmund Blackadder (IV)
    • Pte. S. Baldrick
    • Gen. Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett
    • Lt. the Honorable George Colhurst St. Barleigh
    • Capt. Kevin Darling
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be one of the last two Blackadders really. Melchett is a comedy giant of a creation but as Blackadder holds everything together he has to be the man.

I went for the same as KOP and plumped for Blackadder goes forth and I'd have Blackadder III a very close second. Then you can start to think about Melchett in third.

It has to be one of the last two Blackadders really. Melchett is a comedy giant of a creation but as Blackadder holds everything together he has to be the man.

I went for the same as KOP and plumped for Blackadder goes forth and I'd have Blackadder III a very close second. Then you can start to think about Melchett in third.

Weird. I'd put Blackadder II way above III.

Guest PaddyBerger15

'See the little Goblin, see his little feet, and his little nosey-wose, isn't the Goblin sweet'.

Its hard to pick a winner. I loved the first series, the third was excellent, but each time I watch series 2 I'm swayed all over again. Individual episodes in series 2 are classics, Beer and Money particularly, Queenie, Nursey and Melchett were all superb as support characters. I think that was also Baldricks finest moment.

He was playful yet cynical in series 2, Percy was a real tit "Id love to see the Spaniard that could get past me"..."Go to Spain there are millions of them".

In series 3 he continues to grow as a man and grow increasingly cynical, again some episodes are cracking, Miranda Richardson steals the show as the daughter of the impoverished industrialist moonlighting as the highwayman, and her dad is fucking quality "I'd sooner place my john Thomas in the hands of lunatic with a pair of scissors than give my daughter to an unwoooorthy man".

Queenie makes series 2, but overall, my fave occasional character is Peter Cook as the old King in series 1.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Melchett for me, pure comic genius. "I don't care if he's been rogering the duke of York with a prize winning leak, he killed Speckled Jim!"

Your old man reminds me a bit of Melchett Tom :D :whistle:

Guest PaddyBerger15
:D I'll let him know mate, would that make you Captain Darling?

Certainly not! That would be Pete's job. I keep them both in line and concentrating on the job in hand like.....

Nah. III is cleverer and he has Lord Percy to use as his punchbag which gives him unlimited material.

Stuart, Stuart, Stuart. When will you learn that "cleverer" isn't the most important thing in the world, never mind in comedy?

Stuart, Stuart, Stuart. When will you learn that "cleverer" isn't the most important thing in the world, never mind in comedy?

Cleverer = funnier though Paul. Blackadder is better than most things because its gags were well crafted, i.e. 'clever'.

Cleverer = funnier though Paul. Blackadder is better than most things because its gags were well crafted, i.e. 'clever'.

What's clever about slapstick? What's clever about toilet humour? What's clever about swearing? Nothing - but they're all fucking funny. "Clever" can sometimes be hilarious, but it can sometimes be right up its own arse, too. I'm just making the point that it's not everything.

What's clever about slapstick? What's clever about toilet humour? What's clever about swearing? Nothing - but they're all fucking funny. "Clever" can sometimes be hilarious, but it can sometimes be right up its own arse, too. I'm just making the point that it's not everything.

Example?

• 1 year later...

Edmund: Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Darling: Security, Blackadder...

Edmund: Security?

Melchett: (coming out from behind the map) `Security' isn't a dirty word, Blackadder. `Crevice' is a dirty word, but `security' isn't.

Edmund: So, in the name of security, sir, everyone who enters the room has to have his bottom fondled by this drooling pervert.

Darling: Only doing my job, Blackadder...

Edmund: Oh, well, how lucky you are, then, that your job is also your hobby.

Melchett: Now there's another dirty word: `job'!

Edmund: Sir, is there something the matter?

Melchett: You're damn right there is something the matter. (heads for desk) Something sinister and something grotesque. And what's worse is that it's going on right here under my very nose. (sits behind desk)

Edmund: (protesting) Sir, your moustache is lovely...

Darling: What the General means, Blackadder, is: There's a leak.

Melchett: Now leak is a positively disgusting word.

I've got to go with General Melchett. The best character by a mile.

Melchett: If you do this for me Blackadder I'll let you marry my sister.

Darling: Are you sure that's wise sir?

Melchett: Of course it is! You should hear the noise she makes when she eats a boiled egg!

And another classic:

Blackadder: I'm afraid there's something wrong with your fiancee.

Melchett: Good God, she's not Welsh is she?

Bask in the beauty of that poll. And yet I still have a bad reputation with everyone apart from Red Nick. Which, lets face it, isn't the best character reference.

You are a winner. A Poll Ninja.

You are destined to wander as a through internet fora, instructing the young and uninitiated in the Way of the Poll, giving away it's dark secrets. Much to the confusion of others, as soon as you arrive you are gone, like the legendary Shrewsbury Unicorn. Your name will be perpetually etched in poll folklore, for on any forum, on any subject, in any language, if there is a monumental mistake they shall let forth a cry of "Fuck it; I've made another RiS-up".

Well done, sir.

You are a winner. A Poll Ninja.

You are destined to wander as a through internet fora, instructing the young and uninitiated in the Way of the Poll, giving away it's dark secrets. Much to the confusion of others, as soon as you arrive you are gone, like the legendary Shrewsbury Unicorn. Your name will be perpetually etched in poll folklore, for on any forum, on any subject, in any language, if there is a monumental mistake they shall let forth a cry of "Fuck it; I've made another RiS-up".

Well done, sir.

thanks cuntface

I still can't believe Nursie didn't get any votes.

250px-Blackadder_2_nursie.jpg

Melchett: It appears he wishes to marry a girl called Bob.

Queenie: It is a very odd name for a girl, isn't it? Girls are normally called Elizabeth or Mary.

Nursie: And Donald...

Queenie: Mouth is open Nursie, should be shut.

Nursie: Thing is true, sweet one. I had three sisters and they were called Donald, Eric and Basil.

Queenie: Then why is your name Nursie?

Nursie: That ain't my real name.

Queenie: Isn't it?

Nursie: No.

Queenie: No, what is your real name then?

Nursie: Bernard.

Queenie: Suits you, actually.