You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What pisses me off is when you live abroad, people expect you to get on really well with other englishers. "Oh I know someone from England, you should meet him".

Tell me about it - I remember when I lived in Germany I went out one night to a club, and was introduced during the evening by a friend as an Englaender. Later on, I noticed his friend was most surprised (and perhaps a bit disappointed) that I was still stood with them, quietly drinking my beer and not trashing the place/ starting on someone. In his own words "Whe cant be English, he isnt doing anything..."

Scouse accents are forever changing. My nan (great grandmother) was from The Dingle and had a clear Scouse accent. However, it was different to her own daughter's and very different to the generation of my mum's age. As for kids with Scouse accents, the similarities are fewer than the differences over 4/5 generations.

There should be a way of conditioning young scouse offenders to speak posh. It'd be like in X Men III when Mystique gets shot by the dart and loses all her powers.

"Warrabout im der lid?"

"Err ees noh one of uz anymore in'e lid?"

"HOW - NOW - BROWN - COW"

Once worked in a Liverpool centre for kids with MASSIVE behavior issues who'd been excluded from normal schools in the area. Every now and then the teachers had the kids do these exercises to help wean them off their horribly exaggerated accents (b/c of hearing their drug dealer parents/brothers/friends all the time). Had them saying stuff like "Unique New York," which when the kids were saying it sounded like "You-neechhhhhh Noo Yorchhhhhh" -- with that horrible, phlegmy, back-of-the-throat "k" sound that you hear all the time.

Normal, mild Scouse accents are pleasant. But this lazy-sounding, whiny, snotty stuff truly makes people sound (a) like they are such complete idiots that they can't be bothered actually moving their tongues to pronounce proper sounds or (b) like they have a learning disability. It's by far the lowest sounding English I've heard, and I've been lots of places.

• Upvote 1

I've got a friend, bluenose incidently who has does ESD, you can't really understand him and the only thing you can comprehend is 'Pleasure Rooms'

One of my former driving instructors was like that as well, every time he'd say something, he'd say

'DYKNOWARRAMSAYINKIDDA'

Sometimes I don't understand what Woo is saying. I just laugh and hope that it was a joke. Then again, I am usually half cut at the time.

I've had that.

A lad from uni struggled when I was in full flow, a lad from Childwall once said he couldnt understand me and my mates when we were in full flow.

You can't get away from the Lizards. I've tried but even down here I bump into them.

About 2 or 3 years back I was walking down a fairly busy street in Hove around dusk and had an encounter with an ESD sufferer.

A lad wearing a striped polo shirt, a pair of trackies, prison white trainees and his hand cupping his bollocks (why do they always do that?) was standing in the middle of the pavement, Holding court with a couple of other local gobshites.

As I approached all I could hear was "ah mate... this, ah mate that..." or "yeah Lid, tellin ya" etc etc. The three exhibit gobshites where standing in a sort of circle, with him holding court. I had no choice, thank to parked cars, than to walk though their impromptu meeting space.

As I was walking through I got a dirty look of the ESD sufferer, then I noticed he had a can of Stella in the middle of the circle. I stepped over it and was on my way. The he shouts, "Aye lad, you're lucky you didn't spill that". I just looked back and said, "If you leave your fucking can in the middle of the street, you're fucking lucky I didn't boot it".

As soon as he heard I had a scouse accent, he was all apologetic, and hey mate where are you from? gotta stick together aye lad, etc etc. I just told him to stop being a prick and was on my way. You could see the other lads losing the 'respect la' he'd been so eagerly trying to earn.

• Upvote 1

Its defo noticable if you've been away for a few years. I laugh at my mates when they come and visit me. They have the thickest Scouse accents imaginable! They are not putting it on, but when they travel outside Liverpool, it just gets louder and louder.

I took them to Nando's, i was last to order and had to basically re-order everything cos the lad couldnt understand what they were saying and was intimidated to ask them.

I love having a Scouse accent, mine has gone quite soft nowadays tho through working with pure wools and toffs.

It doesnt take me long to slip back into it when i'm back home though.

A lad wearing a striped polo shirt, a pair of trackies, prison white trainees and his hand cupping his bollocks (why do they always do that?)

Great question. I haven't really noticed this in any other big city in England. You know what's unpleasant about that? They will touch something (door handle/bus "stop" button/etc.) that YOU will eventually touch. Horrible.

I take the bus home from Queen Square all the time down West Derby Rd. Every time one of them gets a call the conversation goes almost exactly like this (and EXTREMELY loud):

"Alright laaaaaad. Wha? WHA? I'm on tha bus. Wha? I'M ON THA BUS. Juss passin' tha Grafton ya know like lad. Wha? Tha Grafton lad."

And the girls always talk much louder than the boys, and every other sentence is: "I swear to God" (actually, more like "Ah swea' ta GOT").

• Upvote 1

Can anyone identify variations between parts of the city. I was told that the accent in North Liverpool is a lot harder - think Jamie Carragher. In the south of the city it is more rounded - e.g John Lennon

I think that used to be the case, now though it's largely distorted by ESD. People simply do not talk like that unless they're actively trying to, this is a fact.

Can anyone identify variations between parts of the city. I was told that the accent in North Liverpool is a lot harder - think Jamie Carragher. In the south of the city it is more rounded - e.g John Lennon

I can tell the difference in accent between people from North Liverpool and South. People in South seems to say 'D' a bit more pronounced. "Down in Dingle Kid". Only on younger people though. North speak through their nose a bit more

It's not the same thing, but the accents on either side of the Mersey are very different to local ears. However, I've heard half-Manc St Helens accents called Scouse by people who aren't from round here.

I think that used to be the case, now though it's largely distorted by ESD. People simply do not talk like that unless they're actively trying to, this is a fact.

I dont think thats entirely true to be fair S31.

I dont hang round with people with ESD in fact I actively avoid them but the scousers who go to places like I do like Le Bateau there is defo a difference. In fact girls always comment on mine and my mates north liverpool accent because they are all posh south enders who talk like a young Shirley Valentine.

It's not the same thing, but the accents on either side of the Mersey are very different to local ears. However, I've heard half-Manc St Helens accents called Scouse by people who aren't from round here.

The accent is defo different on both sides of the Mersey because us this side are scouse and them over there are'nt (despite loads wishing they were)

People who claim to be from Liverpool when they are'nt should be another thread.

The accent is defo different on both sides of the Mersey because us this side are scouse and them over there are'nt (despite loads wishing they were)

People who claim to be from Liverpool when they are'nt should be another thread.

I know. Living in Tranmere, one can only DREAM of talking like a dalek choking on gristle! :whistle:

• Upvote 1

I dont think thats entirely true to be fair S31.

I dont hang round with people with ESD in fact I actively avoid them but the scousers who go to places like I do like Le Bateau there is defo a difference. In fact girls always comment on mine and my mates north liverpool accent because they are all posh south enders who talk like a young Shirley Valentine.

Yeah, alright...