You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

16 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I dislike him and his views , but it strikes me that the authorities were happy enough for him to play until there was a public furore , and then the likes of Morrison jumped in with his tuppenyworth.

Probably manufactured it to ram home the need to get jabbed. I can't stand him. Far too many families haven't been able to get in and out of Australia for two years and this cunt tries to waltz in with a medical exemption despite being one of the fittest sportsmen on the planet? Fuck him the microphone haired wanker 

58 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I dislike him and his views , but it strikes me that the authorities were happy enough for him to play until there was a public furore , and then the likes of Morrison jumped in with his tuppenyworth.

Doctors made a medical decision, and politicians made a political decision to overrule them. Whatever anyone thinks of vaccines or Novak Djokovic, that should be concerning to everybody.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Doctors made a medical decision, and politicians made a political decision to overrule them. Whatever anyone thinks of vaccines or Novak Djokovic, that should be concerning to everybody.

Tennis Australia and the state tried to sneak this through and there was quite a big backlash from Australians in general who have gone through lockdown and had to be vaccinated in order to carry on with their daily life. On a personal point we are waiting for visas to attend our daughters wedding and will need to apply for a special exemption to gain access as well as show proof of vaccination including booster jab. This rule is being applied to all people who are close relatives of Australian citizens so IMO the standards should be the same for tennis superstars. Goverment seizing the opportunity to score points with the electorate shouldn't surprise anybody. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Doctors don't issue visas. Are you suggesting they should?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Doctors don't issue visas. Are you suggesting they should?

Or, more accurately, I was suggesting that the people who are responsible for issuing visas on medical grounds should perhaps have medical considerations at the forefront of their reasoning.

Seems somewhat odd that there's been no backlash against the other three tennis players who have been admitted into Australia for this tournament on the same type of visa.

What seems odd about this is that they'd even consider letting them in on the basis of something determined by a regional government, when the national government is the one with jurisdiction.

Presumably the national government has a process in place to determine who qualifies for a medical exemption. Why weren't these people put through this same process?

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As far as I can gather, it's not publicly known at the moment who they are.

Oh so it might not even be true? Quelle fucking surprise. 

Even if there were, why wouldn't the superstar of the sport who is a vocal anti-vaxxer be the headline? 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As far as I can gather, it's not publicly known at the moment who they are.

Perhaps their medical exemption is real. Rather than them being fucking nutcases who believe in all types of bollocks like 5G in vaccines.  Normally you are all over idiots who believe this shite, in this thread, not so much. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Perhaps their medical exemption is real. Rather than them being fucking nutcases who believe in all types of bollocks like 5G in vaccines.  Normally you are all over idiots who believe this shite, in this thread, not so much. 

Well, I have more of an issue with fascism than I do with anti-vaxxers. Sorry/not sorry.

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, I have more of an issue with fascism than I do with anti-vaxxers. Sorry/not sorry.

42 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Or, more accurately, I was suggesting that the people who are responsible for issuing visas on medical grounds should perhaps have medical considerations at the forefront of their reasoning.

You're confusing people who grant medical exemptions (some Victorian state agency?) with those who issue visas and ultimately grant access (the federal government, I assume).

Did the latter not ask the former (or the Victorian government itself) to stand over the application and the former decline to do so? Wasn't there also some suggestion that Djokovic had applied for the wrong visa (one to which his exemption didn't apply)? I've lost track of the details, which may have been misreported anyway. 

In any case, every visa is provisional and it's not unusual in pretty much any country for a visa holder to be denied right of entry on arrival. This hardly constitutes fascism. Though there was doubtless a populist political element to the decision. And the current Australian government is repugnant. 

Looks like Tennis Australia screwed up by telling tennis players that they could enter Oz without being vaccinated if they had covid in the last 6 months. This despite being informed by the Oz government telling them unvaccinated people would not be allowed in.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/08/novak-djokovic-relied-on-december-covid-infection-for-vaccine-exemption-court-documents-reveal

"Djokovic relied on a very recent Covid-19 infection, recorded on 16 December by the Institute of Public Health of Serbia, to argue he was exempt from vaccine travel requirements."

That's convincing. 

"Tennis Australia informed players that a prior infection would be a reason to exempt them from Australia’s tough border restrictions. That advice was given despite the health department telling Tennis Australia on two occasions that exemptions did not exist for those recently infected with Covid."

That's unfortunate. 

This cunt has been banging on for years about the need for Britain to leave the EU so it can have the ability to enforce its own borders, to be able to turn away people who do not meet the British criteria for entry. He's even advocated the Australian style border system as a model for the British to follow.

Here he is criticising Australia for enforcing  its border system.

I get the impression that when he, and people like him, talk about border controls, that they're not really thinking about rich white men potentially being turned away.