Jump to content
Remmie

Tennis

Recommended Posts

Fair fucks to Djokovic. I’m far from his biggest fan and have had my tongue firmly in my cheek all night, but he’s an all-time elite athlete and to have greater mental strength and resilience even than the rarified 0.0001% level of his sport is an incredible achievement all of its own.
 

Shows just how hard what he was trying to do is physically mentally and emotionally to see him tonight, and what it’s taken from him. In a funny way, that humanises him and will maybe do what Murray’s reaction to his Wimbledon defeat to Federer did in making people warm to him a bit more. And though it won’t be the calendar slam, he’ll likely just go and claim his 21st in Australia to settle the battle for winning the most.
 

Not only that, but after swallowing the bitterest pill of his career, he comes out with a speech as gracious as that minutes afterwards. Can only marvel at the sportsmanship of tennis players, they compete life and death for every point, then without fail give these generous tributes right after missing out on something they’ve dreamt about their whole lives. Fair play to him for this. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Justice Negs said:

Fair fucks to Djokovic. I’m far from his biggest fan and have had my tongue firmly in my cheek all night, but he’s an all-time elite athlete and to have greater mental strength and resilience even than the rarified 0.0001% level of his sport is an incredible achievement all of its own.
 

Shows just how hard what he was trying to do is physically mentally and emotionally to see him tonight, and what it’s taken from him. In a funny way, that humanises him and will maybe do what Murray’s reaction to his Wimbledon defeat to Federer did in making people warm to him a bit more. And though it won’t be the calendar slam, he’ll likely just go and claim his 21st in Australia to settle the battle for winning the most.
 

Not only that, but after swallowing the bitterest pill of his career, he comes out with a speech as gracious as that minutes afterwards. Can only marvel at the sportsmanship of tennis players, they compete life and death for every point, then without fail give these generous tributes right after missing out on something they’ve dreamt about their whole lives. Fair play to him for this. 

Yeah he came across really well. Fair fucks. I don't particularly enjoy watching him but can't deny his greatness.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah he came across really well. Fair fucks. I don't particularly enjoy watching him but can't deny his greatness.

 

9CA82F35-AFBC-4830-A047-1CD1E5089715.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely has an end of era feel to me,  Federer is done, Nadal may possibly have one more French open in him and I think Novak will start to tail off as he now ages, he hasn’t been at his very best since that tremendous match at the French Open against Nadal albeit he is still the best and probably has about another two majors in him. The days of the big three hoovering up every open are gone though imo. I honestly didn't fancy Djokovic to beat Medvedev but didn’t see him losing in straight sets. Djokovic was awful last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He might have fallen short in achieving a so-called calendar grand slam but I think Novak's season in 2015-16 when he did hold all four slam titles never gets spoken about enough 

Like him or loath his it is probably the greatest achievement in tennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Definitely has an end of era feel to me,  Federer is done, Nadal may possibly have one more French open in him and I think Novak will start to tail off as he now ages, he hasn’t been at his very best since that tremendous match at the French Open against Nadal albeit he is still the best and probably has about another two majors in him. The days of the big three hoovering up every open are gone though imo. I honestly didn't fancy Djokovic to beat Medvedev but didn’t see him losing in straight sets. Djokovic was awful last night.

Know what you mean there mate. Interesting Djokovic had said beforehand he was treating it like the last match of his career. Not that I think he would have retired, but had he got that over the line there would have been no new worlds to conquer and motivating himself to keep going would have become even more difficult than it already must be. Can’t see there being too much difference emotionally having lost. Calendar grand slam must be gone for him, and trying for it had clearly emptied the tank. We’re surely going to see official retirements of at least Roger and Rafa in the coming 12-24 months tops, and it’s not impossible he may follow sooner than we would all have thought even relatively recently. He is superhuman though, so who knows, after a decent break he may just set his sights on 30 slams!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Sleazy bastard from a Tory shitrag trying to justify why he's been staring at Emma's chest.

 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-we-talk-about-emma-raducanu-s-religions-beliefs-?s=09

 

Nobody's buying it.

 

 

And to think Toby Young ,Rod Liddle and co just thought Theo was just pounding away at his keyboard all day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Mmmmm Raducanu already sacked her coach and giving it the jolly hockey sticks with Middleton……..anybody else hearing alarm bells?.

Bit of a strange one , I believe she only really took on Richardson for the US Open as he was Johnny on the spot and available immediately and was probably shocked how well she did.  With the season so late on I thought she might keep him on for the last couple of tournaments at least.  Doesn't want to fall into Konta Land though where she appears to sack a coach every time she loses a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Bit of a strange one , I believe she only really took on Richardson for the US Open as he was Johnny on the spot and available immediately and was probably shocked how well she did.  With the season so late on I thought she might keep him on for the last couple of tournaments at least.  Doesn't want to fall into Konta Land though where she appears to sack a coach every time she loses a game.

Yeah mate but Johnny on the spot won the Open with her and deserves a bit more respect imo. Alarm bells for me I’m afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you're wrong Cap'n but the optics aren't good.

 

The only thing I would say is how weird his body language was during the final almost as if he was embarrassed to be there and barely involved.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah mate but Johnny on the spot won the Open with her and deserves a bit more respect imo. Alarm bells for me I’m afraid.

 

She's dropped her coach to look for one she thinks will better help her progress her game. She worked with him every day. Who is anyone else to say she's making the wrong decision? Who even knows the input he had into her success, the relationship they had or what his demands were to stay on?

 

I assume you'd rather she stayed with what she clearly thinks is a substandard coach for her needs, someone who worked with her for a whole two months, outta respect? She's a winner, not a sentimentalist.

 

The old English disease strikes again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

 

She's dropped her coach to look for one she thinks will better help her progress her game. She worked with him every day. Who is anyone else to say she's making the wrong decision? Who even knows the input he had into her success, the relationship they had or what his demands were to stay on?

 

I assume you'd rather she stayed with what she clearly thinks is a substandard coach for her needs, someone who worked with her for a whole two months, outta respect? She's a winner, not a sentimentalist.

 

The old English disease strikes again.

Calm yourself dear it was just an observation , don’t have a stroke

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×