You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

4 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

That's how you spell the qualification name btw, not code for me and Rico. 

It’s funny watching him try to tread the line between trying to be sympathetic and at the same time saying we are somehow namby-pamby for thinking she’s got a point. Like watching a goat ice skating.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

listen you’re the one comparing the behaviour of the affluent young ladies you meet at work to an athlete who has risen through the ranks of her profession to be the 2 best player in the world. Based on her performances, not what mummy or daddy gave her.  If realising that makes me a brainiac then we are all in trouble. 

Listen: everyone on this forum knows you're a mental defective. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s funny watching him try to tread the line between trying to be sympathetic and at the same time saying we are somehow namby-pamby for thinking she’s got a point. Like watching a goat ice skating.  

Fucking wishy washy cunt. I thought you had me on ignore yah donkey?

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Oh you got a few more than that cunty, it's all you go on about so don't come the man of the people lark with me. Look where that entitlement has got you?  What a fucking waste.

I never stop talking about it. And by I, I do of course mean you.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve got it on my CV. Although being called a mental defective by a hairdresser is a new low.  

Ahh and here's the first of the cunts saying how intelligent and above people he is, Nowt to follow anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Or she has anxiety, she'd already stated she wasn't gonna deal with the press before the tourno so what reason does she have to lie?

She's dealt with the press for years without issue. She doesn't like dealing with them after losing (with regularity on clay). Which is understandable. But irrelevant from a contractual point of view.

What are the odds of her courageously making a similar stand at the US Open, do you think? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

We got six pages out of this so far. Not bad.

More than we’ve ever given to the actual tennis.

If I was her I’d read the small print in the tour contract. If the only obligation is to attend the press conference when requested to do so, I’d go along, then just sit there and ignore the questions. She could even put her earphones on and listen to music And if any of the organisers said anything, just say ‘I’ve attended haven’t I?”

• Upvote 1

Or just go along and answer “I like apples” to every question put to you. They’ll soon stop asking you to do them.

I’m warming to this. And eating an apple. Which is what gave me the idea.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

Thanks tubs.

Oww don't thank me, thank your university and your mom and pops kid, they gave you this sparkling education..Bet they'll be proud you ain't wasted it.

Anyway I'm off to play some Lester Young, ta ra. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I went to work and wouldn't go to family do's and no one knew I had social anxiety until I attacked someone, how do you know she hasn't had an issue just because she fronted it? She's shit on clay then and knows it will be awkward at the press conference (even though she'd already stated she wouldn't do them!!)do you not think having that in your mind would add to the anxiety? perhaps there was pressure from the tennis higher powers to get her to do them etc... 

I am extremely introverted. Find social occasions and the public nature of my work very challenging.

But I don't regard these personality traits as "mental health issues" or hide behind them opportunistically when it comes to meeting my work obligations.

If there were something professionally I genuinely couldn't face, I wouldn't plaster it all over social media, either.

To be honest, I don't believe Osaka has debilitating mental health issues. And I don't respect what I regard as her opportunism here. 

But if she's still refusing to face the press at the US Open, I'll gladly reconsider my position... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I don't believe you, I think you're bullshitting. 

That's fine. You should be sceptical about such claims in my opinion. 

But I know more about Osaka's public persona than you know about mine. And I'm not looking to gain anything by appealing to your better nature. 

52 minutes ago, Anubis said:

More than we’ve ever given to the actual tennis.

If I was her I’d read the small print in the tour contract. If the only obligation is to attend the press conference when requested to do so, I’d go along, then just sit there and ignore the questions. She could even put her earphones on and listen to music And if any of the organisers said anything, just say ‘I’ve attended haven’t I?”

Or, since she is already there and seemingly got over the anxiety, simply answer those that are well meaning from people doing their job and no comment those that she thinks are fishing for a controversial quote.

Does anyone know how much media she normally does in a year or a season?

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Or, since she is already there and seemingly got over the anxiety, simply answer those that are well meaning from people doing their job and no comment those that she thinks are fishing for a controversial quote.

Well she’ll do one after every match, and the season this year is Jan - Sept.  So quite a few really.  

Just now, SasaS said:

She's pushing 400 professional matches. Almost all will have involved media engagement of some sort. And that's aside from a mass of other media appearances, endorsement work, political activities, etc.

• Upvote 1

Early 20's mixed race female at the top of her profession having earned more in a year than many familial bloodlines and a bunch of old geezers ( is it ok to assume white fellers?) trying to tell her what she should do and how she should feel.

Be a good one to sit out for most tbh.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Early 20's mixed race female at the top of her profession having earned more in a year than many familial bloodlines and a bunch of old geezers ( is it ok to assume white fellers?) trying to tell her what she should do and how she should feel.

Maybe some official body should issue guidelines what age, race or gender you should be and how much money you have to make to be allowed voicing an opinion on a widely publicized event.

45 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who is telling her those things? Who is telling her how she should feel ? She’s just being asked to meet her contractual obligations, what’s wrong with that..? If she can’t meet them fine, you don’t get paid. She’s a millionaire I’m sure she can take the hit.