You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Wimbledon draw was made today. Looking good for Djokovic in the top half.

In the bottom half, if Nadal gets through his first round, he could face Kyrgios, Shapovalov, Cilic, Thiem, Federer and Djokovic on his route to the final.

39 year old Venus Williams playing a 15 year old in the women's.

13 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

That’s the day I went to last year. Men’s quarters. You’re in for a treat.

I’ve never seen professional tennis ‘live’ before so I’m ready to have my mind blown 

19 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’ve never seen professional tennis ‘live’ before so I’m ready to have my mind blown 

Got to witness Del Potro hitting forehands my neck could barely twist quickly enough to see reach his opponent last time.

They’re phenomenal.

• 3 months later...

Murray won a singles title today, 17 matches into his singles comeback from an operation which looked certain to end his career. He’s the only pro tennis player ever to return from such an operation and even resume a singles career.

He was a set, a break and two break points down against Wawrinka but came back to win it, just 7 weeks in to his proper comeback. Sheer fatigue alone is a major problem for players coming back from the sort of lay-off he had, never mind playing with a metal hip. Finished it off with 4 games in 4 days after a month on the road. Incredible achievement and you can tell the size of it by the reaction from all those involved in the pro game.

Just one of the best sportsmen Britain has ever produced and an absolutely amazing role model for anyone. The grit, character, spirit and fight the lad has is insane.

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Federer saves 7 match points and eventually wins in five sets to reach the Aussie Open semi-finals....

Can't see him winning (would love him to) it but fuck me to still have that drive and bottle at 38 to keep going is amazing...

Greatest ever. Hope he does win and I’d love to see him win one more Wimbledon 

Djokovic wins the Aussie Open for a record 8th time, and becomes the first men's player to win a major in 3 different decades. Of course he did it in the usual way, using a medical time out to treat an injury or illness at a time when his opponent has all the momentum, before coming back and dominating the match while moving around so freely you wonder what the problem was in the first place. He's a great player and actually a decent guy off court, but the constant shithousery on the court puts a lot of people off.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Just a bit of a fucking tit all round, isn't he. He reminds me of when Dennis pretends to become a hippie to nail that environmental protestor who was rude to him's girlfriend on acid, while he's chained himself to a tree. Thing is, Djokovic is completely sincere about it.

download.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, sir roger said:

Andy Murray is the antithesis of most Britsh sportsmen. He appears to thrive on adversity.

I don't particularly like him as a person (and I think he timewastes) but fuck me the lad has got balls. Great match that. Never looked like winning it until the last 2 games even when he got back to 2:2. 

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Just stepping on that court after his trials was a triumph, never mind dragging himself through a losing battle for 5 hours and somehow coming out a winner.

He looked in pain throughout but he has always been one of them players who loses a point and often grabs his knee or his shoulder as if he was injured.