You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Djokovic absolutely battered Nadal to win his 7th Australian Open title. That was as completely dominant a performance in a final as you'll ever see, against an opponent against whom it is nearly impossible to dominate.

The generation of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic is probably the strongest trio of tennis players from any one tennis era. All three have won every Grand Slam event at least once. Djokovic has won more Australian Opens than any other player. Nadal has dominated the French Open, getting into double figures for title wins. Federer has been the standard bearer at Wimbledon as well as holding the joint record for most wins at the US Open. In the last 10 years, 3 out of every 4 majors has been won by one of this trio, so it's no wonder they are the top 3 in terms of overall Grand Slam titles too.

Be surprised if Nadal takes another match off him after that. Gonna leave some scars and their head-to-head in slams was already only going one way.

Has to be the current favourite for the French, which would mean holding all 4 at once for the second time, let alone what Nadal was aiming for today (in addition to the Slam itself).

4 hours ago, Trumo said:

Djokovic absolutely battered Nadal to win his 7th Australian Open title. That was as completely dominant a performance in a final as you'll ever see, against an opponent against whom it is nearly impossible to dominate.

The generation of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic is probably the strongest trio of tennis players from any one tennis era. All three have won every Grand Slam event at least once. Djokovic has won more Australian Opens than any other player. Nadal has dominated the French Open, getting into double figures for title wins. Federer has been the standard bearer at Wimbledon as well as holding the joint record for most wins at the US Open. In the last 10 years, 3 out of every 4 majors has been won by one of this trio, so it's no wonder they are the top 3 in terms of overall Grand Slam titles too.

Where does Andy Murray fit into this? Is he like the top of the next teir down or somthing? 

I don't really follow tennis, and I'm not sure what I'm doing in this thread to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Where does Andy Murray fit into this? Is he like the top of the next teir down or somthing? 

I don't really follow tennis, and I'm not sure what I'm doing in this thread to be honest. 

He's a distant fourth member of that elite generation. That might sound like I'm putting him down a bit but it's more that they've been so good for so long. I'm almost certain Murray would have at least another couple of Grand Slams already if he didn't have 3 such stellar talents competing alongside him. They've all been more aggressive and attacking when needing to change and control the tempo and momentum of big matches whereas Murray has too often let them dictate things when playing him. Wawrinka has won as many Grand Slams as Murray but he hasn't been as consistent a challenger as the Scot so he is in the next tier.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

The guttural cheer and volley of expletives I let go today, when Thiem converted his match point to send Perry Farrell home...

Looking forward to the final now.

Would love Thiem to do it but I think Rafa's just too good on Clay

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Would love Thiem to do it but I think Rafa's just too good on Clay

Most likely mate.

Expect he’s learnt plenty from last year’s mauling and closed the gap somewhat, but remains to be seen what effect the stop-start nature of his semi final and still being on court this afternoon has had.

• Upvote 1

Broke him down physically and mentally in the end, galloping to the last two sets 6-1.

Thiem will come again and may well be the future of the sport, but yet again the sheer brilliance of Rafa Nadal keeps this era going.

12 French Opens. Unbelievable stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He's the lad Murray's mum calls Deliciano Lopez.

On a separate point , when did Heather Watson last win a match ? I reckon I would beat her playing left-handed.

I like Heather Watson.

Johanna Konta however can fucking snort weed killer the horrible bastard 

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Murray’s doubles partner just won the singles at Queens, and fucking hell...his girlfriend. Work of art.

He’s a bona fide dreamboat himself, so they must be one of the most attractive couples around. 

She's fucking scrawny though, needs a good chippy tea down her neck!